Magic Seaweed has joined forces with Surfline

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
My understanding is that all marine forecasts are designed to overpredict at distant future time periods as a default safety thing.

This is why models always tend to shrink rather than grow.
I feel like this is true for all weather forecasting. Heat, cold, wind, snow or whatever it always seems like they dial it back a few days out. Way more often than ramping it up.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I hate the cams too. I also have over a dozen bookmarked that I check multiple times a day.
Plus Gromsdad insists on surfing the beach with the Cam. Besides the summer, in NJ you only have to surf in crowds if you want to.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Commercial boats caught albies 540+ miles west of SD:
I would have assumed albies showed up around SD and SoCal every season? We get them up here about 20-50 miles out where the waters about 60 around Aug-Sept, although its been more like 80-100 last few years. During an good El Nino we might see a Yellowtail or Dorado. Also figure Yellowtail and Bluefin would be the preferred species to go after down there.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
I think this is why I liked Magic Seaweed. Very easy to read. I actually have to learn to read the other sites - basically too much info for my little brain. I can't speak to the accuracy of the forecasts since I don't keep tabs on that too much.
This is why I hated Magic Seaweed. I had learned how to read the different weather pages, offshore forecasts and digest that to determine when my local would be good (onthe east coast it's not as easy as knowing a south swell is coming). Then MSW comes along and people would just look for the green and flock to the beach.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Windy.com has everything you need. Learn how to use the tools located in the sidebar.
Man, I’ve tried a number of times and find the interface for swell angle, size n period to be not useful - for wind direct it’s fine - though their wind forecasts are not nearly as accurate as Weather Underground for this zone - and probably why I’ve blown off trying to use it for swell forecasts.

Reactions: sussle

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Windy.com has everything you need. Learn how to use the tools located in the sidebar.
For the NE Windy is just about perfect...all the different models in one place, easy to toggle between them, wind and wave forecasts plus I like that I can put the little weather picker flag directly on the jetty I surf the most. The surfline forecast has become and amazing predictor of crowds at my local...waves not so much.

Reactions: GromsDad

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Man, I’ve tried a number of times and find the interface for swell angle, size n period to be not useful - for wind direct it’s fine - though their wind forecasts are not nearly as accurate as Weather Underground for this zone - and probably why I’ve blown off trying to use it for swell forecasts.
I was a very early adopter to Windy and I find it to be amazingly accurate. Often it predicts wind direction changes down to about 15 minutes of accuracy 4 or more days out. In addition to using it as my primary surf forecast tool, I live in an extremely flood prone location and I've used Windy for about 12 years to know when and if I need to prepare my house and cars for the flooding that comes from certain wind and swell directions.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I was a very early adopter to Windy and I find it to be amazingly accurate. Often it predicts wind direction changes down to about 15 minutes of accuracy 4 or more days out. In addition to using it as my primary surf forecast tool, I live in an extremely flood prone location and I've used Windy for about 12 years to know when and if I need to prepare my house and cars for the flooding that comes from certain wind and swell directions.
That’s awesome it works for your area.

it’s literally useless for the wind forecasting here.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Windy is good for watching tropical storms form in the ITCZ and run up the coast. We’re looking at an active season if all of the El Niño talk is true.