Machado Seaside

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
daave said:
You might be overestimating overall volume of the surfboard marketplace...we are peanuts
Quickly looked at figures, in 2009 number of units sold worldwide was 3 millions. By now this number is obviously more, maybe 4 millions. Noel s influence is definitely peanuts at the end of the day.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
ciscojaws said:
Fin puller so I don’t hurt my hands... :bigdeal:
What's even more stupid is inventing a tool for a tool-less fin system out of recycled plastic and with recycled carboard instructions for something no one needed. Saving the planet. Pffft.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I have a poly go fish and that board absolutely rips. Maybe my favorite all-time twin and I've had a ton. There's absolutely no way this board doesn't completely shred. Would be cool to order a custom but then maybe it would be nice to have it in a light construction like helium or whatever.

Jan 29, 2015
Just test rode a 5’8 with spec fins. Yep that board works, seems effortless and never lost speed in any turns. Looks like it will handle some size , but not late drops, paddles really easy.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Duffy said:
Oeste858 said:
For the wetsuit police- it seems like more guys in SoCal are wearing hoods... I think more to prevent/delay Surfers Ear once the water gets in the mid 60's, than for the cold itself. I can't get used to a hood myself, so I prefer the SurfEars plugs. Highly recommend
I start wearing a hood pretty early in the season for a few reasons.

1. I go north of conception often and just want to be used to wearing one.

2. I can wear a thinner suit with the hood. Hood basically gives you 1 mm worth of wetsuit.

2b. It delays the necessity of booties.

3. My ears hurt all the time (cauliflower) so the hood give me some protection when get pitched.
I had one ear drilled and the next is ready but I've delayed by wearing a hood. As soon as it dips under 65 I put it on. Also, in my advancing years, the head flick to get the hair out of my face after duck diving is causing neck problems (getting old sucks) and the hood eliminates the necessity of the head flick.

For all you under 50's, laugh now and make fun of the carps wearing hoods in 65 degree water and then wait for it.....karma will come looking for you. :poke:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
At least you have hair.

I've had 1 ear chipped out but avoid hoods as long as I can. It definitely reduces the sensory experience of surfing but so does freezing.

Just use the cheap Mac's silicon plugs now.

I do love my hooded 4/3 Drylock though when the water gets into the mid 50's and/or the air drops into the 40's. It's the best suit I own. Wish I had picked one up sooner. I can put off getting into my 5 mil till after New Years usually.

Reactions: PRCD

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
nightfly-
Try a pair of Surf Ears plugs. They look like earbuds, are reasonably comfortable and still let in sound, so doesn't hinder the sensory experience as much as a hood or other plugs. Expensive compared to Mac's, but I'm on my second winter with them.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I have a pair somewhere that I tried, but didn't get on with for whatever reason.

I'll give them another go but I'm happy with the Macs really.

My comment about sensory deprivation was more about hoods than plugs. Feel much more isolated in a hood than with plugs.

Oct 14, 2019
NYC
Yeah. I'll admit that seaside looks good & machado is one hell of a surfer

But.....I'll never, ever buy one
I can't believe surfers are so susceptible to marketing bullshit
I bought my first firewire late last year. A chumlee. I just bought a third model today. Previously I've owned many boards over the years both locally shaped and from the big brands, and the poly boards never lasted. I got tired of always fixing them and wasting money. The helium boards feel great and they are very durable. They might be expensive, but a custom board at least in NY isn't that much (~130 -150) less. I'm not trying to make you a believer since everyone has different preferences, but I can vouch that most of what they say isn't marketing bs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: PRCD and Havoc

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I bought my first firewire late last year. A chumlee. I just bought a third model today. Previously I rode several locally shaped boards and others from the big brands. I used to destroy poly boards in a year or so and just got sick of throwing money away. I've tried a few custom epoxies but they just never felt right. Firewire's helium construction feels pretty great and they are very durable. They might be expensive, but a custom board isn't that much (~130 -150) less. I'm not trying to make you a believer since everyone has different preferences, but I can vouch that it isn't marketing bs.
hi mark price!

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
The board seems to be having a revival. Felt one up yesterday. Sits nicely under the arm and thinned out in the rails at the back end and nose. Looks a good all around option for most places.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
i gave mine away in the Maldives to a local , didn't work for me , he was tripping felt good to give , paddle was off it caught waves but the acceleration was not close to my AO

Reactions: sdsrfr and waxfoot

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It's a fun board, but I don't think its as user friendly for the average surfer as the outline suggests.
Seems like I see more of the midlength version around now.