Machado Seaside

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
He surfs very well but the board looks like it surfs the same as any other thinned out quad fish. I'd rather save $100+ and order a custom from Hanel. I'm sure I'll see just as many of these now at the beach as I do wavestorms. Sure to see a few snapped in half after people take them out in head high beachie.

As for hoods in SD/OC this time of year... I have a bald head so when I get out at first light with the air temp 55 degrees and offshores, if I'm not wearing a hood I'm lucky if I last an hour.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
heres an idea: a combo wig/hoody

it just looks like hair, so noobody knows youre wearin a hood

theGraft

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 5, 2007
I think any shaper would love to have Noel review a board considering his reach and power to influence now. Hate the new paradigm all you want. Scial meds work.

He's helped sell a LOT of boards I'm betting. He does good enough work to put himself out there. At some level he still needed some connections but no doubt his surfing backs him up and makes him legit in the industry. The good thing about him is he is down to earth and has good interaction with his followers.

I've given enough money to custom boards bu lately have been enjoying OTR boards and it is a refreshing experience. That said, I'm due for a new custom.

I've had way too much fun on a GF before and this Seaside will probs deliver. I'm old, I will have fun.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
mmmm...seems like everytime these reviewers start to get popular, the big brands take over. all of a sudden noel was saturated with big brand name shapes. i mean i'm sure they work, but fac. they take any marketing chance they can. Give smaller time shapers a chance to get their shapes out.

fckn "Seaside fish" looks good though. if i threw airs and sht, i'd be into it...

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Yeah. I'll admit that seaside looks good & machado is one hell of a surfer

But.....I'll never, ever buy one
I can't believe surfers are so susceptible to marketing bullshit

Mar 9, 2016
This show has gone the same way as shred show . The big guys get involved then the show becomes marketing hype to sel boards. Noel pretty much loves every board he rides. I’m over that now. If he didn’t surf so good I wouldn’t watch it anymore. These days I I usually watch the beginning and skip to the surfing parts.

So far I think machados fw boards seem pretty average.. I haven’t seen anyone out in the line really surfing good on them. Even machado looked weird on that Midas one. What’s interesting is how quickly they are making these machado models these days. Every two paychecks a new FireWire comes out and the marketing hype begins again.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
haha yeah i mean,,, i like the looks of that slater omni,,, they had that other one stu kennedy rides,,, is that the cymatic??,,,sic fi??,,,whatever it is. Anyway, then they just used the blunt nose of the omni and added the tail of that shortboard (scifi) and that's a new fuckin model already??? i could have come up with that sht. Come on.

plus, the omni with that bat tail thing looks just ugly.

i heard in one of those podcasts that Mr. Merrick was sort of browsing those fishes and mumbled "those are my noses."

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
As someone who's worked in media, there's no incentive to roast a product from a paid advertiser. Sure, I'd like to see him rip a board that sucks, but they paid to be reviewed and most likely will pay again in the future for another review. Noel does a lot of work to make these episodes and he should get all the money he can doing something he loves. You can just skip the review part though.

liquidmedium

OTF status
Jan 4, 2005
moku loa
Greg Griffin said:
He is a paid advertiser -

Wow, I agree with griff.... first time for everything ...

Yea, together he and firewire almost got me with the cymatic .... but, meh, I Surf what i Surf and ride what I ride.

for the most part I don’t even like other surfers so why would I care what they have to say about a particular board.

Ha!

Plus his reviews are contrived regurgitated ad nausuems with marginal insights, just basic breakdowns and generalizations.

And he surfs lowers, who and what couldn’t Surf lowers beyond their abilities....

That’s why you surf what you Surf, where you surf. And you surf it, simple.

You don’t surf what he surfs where he surfs do you?

End of story.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Nothing against Noel Salsa but at this point it's like what board doesn't work well at lower trestles under the feet of a high level surfer who surfs there every day.

Sideshow bob machado gonna make the investors a bunch o money on this one regardless.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
machado makes anything look good in anything. marketing gold.

I think it's impossible to watch this video and not make you want to surf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCua3mzcLcg

Ok maybe with the sound off :roflmao:

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Even if i agree with what everyone is saying there about the influence of Noel, you have to look at the numbers, his channel only has 10 000 followers, the Seaside review only has 18,000, which is the average view of his videos. What s the percentage of people buying the boards after watching one of his reviews considering that 90% of all viewers are the same for every board he reviews ? if you compare with the number of surfboard sold worldwide his influence is peanuts.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
You might be overestimating overall volume of the surfboard marketplace...we are peanuts