Machado Seaside

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
Greg Griffin said:
Done Deal ! Bang - Boom !

Pimpin ain’t easy.

This clip made me cringe. And made me feel old, or at least old fashioned. Is this what the surfboard business is today? It was like watching a QVC infomercial.

Edit: I don’t care enough to fix the embed. Scroll back a couple pages.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
It's interesting that Rob never got into quads as a surfer, then designed one. A cynic might see it as purely marketing. That said, i love the look of that board, both under his and Noel's feet. Man, those waves are good. I just don't get waves like that often enough...

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
They run just south of 8hundy? For that much coin you can pick up a fish from just about anyone (with more shaping experience and a dialed in design).

As someone mentioned previously, I wouldn’t say no to one for the right price on CL. But I don’t see anything to froth over. Maybe I will wait a year or so for Rob to discover the speed dialer trip, then get one in FireWire unobtanium.

OH NO! Am I turning into Griffin!? Bah humbug. Get off my lawn. Etc.

Reactions: NeilRyan

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Colin said:
They run just south of 8hundy? For that much coin you can pick up a fish from just about anyone (with more shaping experience and a dialed in design).

As someone mentioned previously, I wouldn’t say no to one for the right price on CL. But I don’t see anything to froth over. Maybe I will wait a year or so for Rob to discover the speed dialer trip, then get one in FireWire unobtanium.

lol so true!

i think noel salsa is on a firewire trip. they may try to hire him like the methed out shred show gyy lolz

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
One of the many benefits of bigger margins than other board builders. Instant Marketing. Review came out when board came out.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Havoc4k said:
Colin said:

lol so true!

i think noel salsa is on a firewire trip. they may try to hire him like the methed out shred show gyy lolz
What does it say in your marketing book about hiring pro's to sell your product? :nana:

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Retropete said:
Well he only needed to do it once.
Not too long ago they would say, anyone can shape a board the key is to make surfboardS
Not so much these days

I'd bet Rob making that first board was him sitting down with a guy in front of a computer

I've done that

The drifter has come a long way

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
Thought Salsa looked extra spicy on the Seaside. Uber fast looking board compared to other's he's ridden. BTW for all the work Salsa's done on his channel and website he's finally getting some coin for his work. Good on him! I'm stoked to see him get something for his effort. He's been doing this a long time and put who knows how many hours, blood, sweat, and tears into his show. He's done a lot to explain boards and fins etc. in leyman's terms, without any weird attitude, and helped me figure out some stuff about surfing. :cheers:

Reactions: sjlist

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Mat6920 said:
I m more curious about the fins than the board. The dims are too short length wise, not really suitable for tall surfers. Noel absolutely rips in every single board review either way, hard to judge the board just by seeing him surfing it. However he does a great break down of the design !
Agree: He's too good to give a genuine review. Everything works for him.

Disagree: I just ff his talking and wanna watch him surf. His explanations are vague (med low rocker, etc.) and misleading (concave claws the wave).

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
ghostshaper said:
Mat6920 said:
I m more curious about the fins than the board. The dims are too short length wise, not really suitable for tall surfers. Noel absolutely rips in every single board review either way, hard to judge the board just by seeing him surfing it. However he does a great break down of the design !

Disagree: I just ff his talking and wanna watch him surf. His explanations are vague (med low rocker, etc.) and misleading (concave claws the wave).
Vague ? I haven't seen any one talking that much in details about boards. He usually makes a comment on a part of the design and how it reflects in his turns, manoeuvres etc... i think it s pretty good. But either way I think his reviews target guys competing, whatever the level but competing so serious surfers.

I got a little bored of his reviews cause every board is great for him at the end of the day, not enough focus on the cons, or for what type of surfer this and this board would be good for (powerful surfer / lazy surfer / people looking to hit the lip more etc.... With his skills he should be able to give more insights on ''who should surf this type of board and why '' '' who should surf this board if they want to progress on this and that because of this and that aspect ''

indodreams

Nep status
Mar 25, 2011
Looks like a fun board and I've seen pics of it in Firewire upcoming Woolight tech that uses natural wool fibres instead of fibreglass.

Thats going to be a really interesting.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Mat6920 said:
Vague ? I haven't seen any one talking that much in details about boards.
Talking that much Doesn't mean he's providing any detail. Rocker can be quantitatively measured. Qualitative terms like medium, low, high doesn't mean much (vague)

Mat6920 said:
He usually makes a comment on a part of the design and how it reflects in his turns, manoeuvres etc... i think it s pretty good.
Doesn't mean he's right. Concaves claw the wave?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
The surf industry being conservative and protective doesn't take too kindly to negative feedback.

Noel has a pretty good thing going, it's in his best interest to keep the positive vibe and ensure the equipment will keep flowing to him.

While Noel seems to say a lot of the same things about the boards he's reviewing, he does hint at shortcomings and potential quirks he feels. They are pretty subtle, but they are there if you're really paying attention.

As to him being too good a surfer to do reviews, would you watch a review of somebody with less skill? Machado rips but I turned off his goofy explanation of the Seaside.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Just as a contrast lets re-visit Machado at Seaside on a CI biscuit. Sometimes is the latest and greatest that much better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq-9hI7h52s

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Retropete said:
Just as a contrast lets re-visit Machado at Seaside on a CI biscuit. Sometimes is the latest and greatest that much better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq-9hI7h52s
Glad you found that! I remembered this one: https://youtu.be/0RYJsZ9GaQk

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
ghostshaper said:
Mat6920 said:

He struggled a little on the Go Fish. He’s got a pretty good handle on design and is definitely a HPSB dude. Retro/alternate does not gel with him.
I like his reviews. Lots of solid info.