Lower Back Pain

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
@One-Off I was given those exercises on an instruction sheet and they weren't named. I just looked up your exercises and one of them does seem to be the cat cow. The other one is not a bridge - upper back and rear pelvis remain on floor as lower back moves gently off the ground. Only pelvis lifts off the ground when lower back presses into the floor.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
@One-Off I was given those exercises on an instruction sheet and they weren't named. I just looked up your exercises and one of them does seem to be the cat cow. The other one is not a bridge - upper back and rear pelvis remain on floor as lower back moves gently off the ground. Only pelvis lifts off the ground when lower back presses into the floor.
This is the hip flexor stretch I do. It stretches the calf and achilles of the front leg (I do it deeper- knees over toes!), the hip flexor ( I read to feel like you're dragging your knee on the ground) and then the side. I stretch the neck while I'm at it- sideways bend. The whole side of your torso is stretching. I saw a similar stretch for the QL, that's why I would call it a QL stretch.
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 5.55.17 PM.png

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
@One-Off so your QL version is just like that but leans sideways? Efficient stretch in that it does a lot of things in one pose.

The triangle stretches the abductor which helps put sideways load on one QL without much bending of the spine.

I have never been prescribed neck stretches

Jun 7, 2015
I totally feel you on the lower back pain, especially with having a physical job myself. I tried all sorts of home remedies – from ice packs and heating pads to yoga and stretches specifically for back pain. Some of it helped temporarily, but the pain always found its way back.

Then, a buddy of mine who'd been dealing with back and neck issues from years of playing the guitar suggested I check out freedomphysicaltherapy.ca. He couldn't stop raving about how they helped him get back to playing without pain. I was a bit skeptical at first, but decided to give it a shot. I'm not going to lie, I still need to go back for occasional physiotherapy sessions, especially after particularly grueling work weeks. But the difference is night and day – the pain's way more manageable now.

Last edited:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I totally feel you on the lower back pain, especially with having a physical job myself. I tried all sorts of home remedies – from ice packs and heating pads to yoga and stretches specifically for back pain. Some of it helped temporarily, but the pain always found its way back.
Voltaren Gel. Thank me later. It became over the counter last year vs. Prescription. CVS, Walgreen‘s, Costco, etc. carry it. Works aLmost all joints/spine. Not good for fleshy areas (shoulder, hips). I was able to stop getting 3 spinal injections a year once I was turned on the Voltaren. In the US, it has 1% diclofenac (in the US the more ‘powerful’ gel at +2% still requires a prescription). I buy the more powerful across the counter when I’m in Mexico, Canada or Europe where the more powerful gel doesn’t require a prescription. Diclofenac is commonly found in anti-inflamatories like Bufferin, etc. I’m not a doctor so you may or may/not be interested in speaking to your GP about Voltaren. My mom used it on her joints until her passing at 94. G’luck. John

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Have you read the fvcking book, man?

Jan 3, 2024
Voltaren Gel. Thank me later. It became over the counter last year vs. Prescription. CVS, Walgreen‘s, Costco, etc. carry it. Works aLmost all joints/spine. Not good for fleshy areas (shoulder, hips). I was able to stop getting 3 spinal injections a year once I was turned on the Voltaren. In the US, it has 1% diclofenac (in the US the more ‘powerful’ gel at +2% still requires a prescription). I buy the more powerful across the counter when I’m in Mexico, Canada or Europe where the more powerful gel doesn’t require a prescription. Diclofenac is commonly found in anti-inflamatories like Bufferin, etc. I’m not a doctor so you may or may/not be interested in speaking to your GP about Voltaren. My mom used it on her joints until her passing at 94. G’luck. John
My chiro recommended voltaren years ago and I just started recently using the OTC version for my shoulder and back. It's legit

Reactions: john4surf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My chiro recommended voltaren years ago and I just started recently using the OTC version for my shoulder and back. It's legit
Even though Voltaren is OTC I’d check with my MD first. Read the fact sheets.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/02/12/171832741/worlds-most-popular-painkiller-raises-heart-attack-risk#:~:text=Close Navigation Menu-,World's Most Popular Painkiller Raises Heart Attack Risk : Shots - Health,popular painkiller in its class.

I stopped using NSAIDS when I started reading the warnings regarding heart risks. I only use Tylenol now (which is not an NSAID). I never used to use Tylenol because it was (is) absolutely useless to me for headaches, whereas Advil would knock down a headache pretty well. But I almost never get headaches.

This is why I prefer physical therapy (exercise) to address my pain issues.

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
San Diego
NSAIDS also mess up your gut and cause inflammation. Pain medication that relieves short-term pain but causes long-term pain. :rolleyes:

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
I've been working on thoracic mobility and strength through flexion with a Feldenkrais-trained therapist. It's been hugely helpful for overall mobility, comfort and durability (knock on wood).

Before this trainer, I had tried experimenting with Jefferson curls and a few other bendy spinal exercises... but always ended up flaring my back up. He created the following program for me:

PHASE 1
Increasing thoracic mobility — no weights with a series of specific exercises. Almost all of them focus on moving "one vertebrae" at a time. Forward flexion and side bending were the primary focus. For the first two weeks, it felt pretty hopeless — my thoracic spine felt like one big block. But eventually it softened and gained a little more mobility.

PHASE 2
We've added weight to the routine — but the ROM is intentionally cut short. My Jefferson Curls for example are about 50% of the flexion of total mobility. There is no wait on the side flexion, but I do a variation of the Jefferson Curl where I twist to one side.

Reactions: Mr J

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've been working on thoracic mobility and strength through flexion with a Feldenkrais-trained therapist. It's been hugely helpful for overall mobility, comfort and durability (knock on wood).

Before this trainer, I had tried experimenting with Jefferson curls and a few other bendy spinal exercises... but always ended up flaring my back up. He created the following program for me:

PHASE 1
Increasing thoracic mobility — no weights with a series of specific exercises. Almost all of them focus on moving "one vertebrae" at a time. Forward flexion and side bending were the primary focus. For the first two weeks, it felt pretty hopeless — my thoracic spine felt like one big block. But eventually it softened and gained a little more mobility.

PHASE 2
We've added weight to the routine — but the ROM is intentionally cut short. My Jefferson Curls for example are about 50% of the flexion of total mobility. There is no wait on the side flexion, but I do a variation of the Jefferson Curl where I twist to one side.

One vertebrae, kind of like cat cow?

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
One vertebrae, kind of like cat cow?
This is done from standing. And the idea is to do a forward fold, more or less, It’s a slow movement beginning with tucking your chin, and then almost curling down from there, one vertebrae at a time. It would begin with T1 > T2 > T3 etc.

The challenge for me was trying to flex the thoracic spine. I tended to skip straight down to lumbar. But after a few weeks i got some movement in there.

Same idea for the side bends, but I found that one more challenging — took a little more time to get movement in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J and One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
A friend asked me what stretches I did so I prepared this. I thought I'd share it here too. Numbered sequence. Most of this I got from the PT after my back "injury." I spend a little more time on the first two, the extensions, maybe 30 seconds a hold.

When I wake up I immediately drink 32 ounces of water with half a lemon squeezed in. I let that settle a minute and then do this routine. I do each stretch 3x (each side ) for about 10-15 seconds. I end the session with one set of push ups to failure (right now about 40-43). I do the doorway stretch after the push ups while I catch my breath. It takes about 15-20 minutes.

Let me know if you think there are any glaring omissions. Or substitutions you'd recommend. I don't want to make it any longer. If it took any longer I might not do it every day. As it is I've been doing every day for a few years now.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 4.20.49 PM.png

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
A friend asked me what stretches I did so I prepared this. I thought I'd share it here too. Numbered sequence. Most of this I got from the PT after my back "injury." I spend a little more time on the first two, the extensions, maybe 30 seconds a hold.

When I wake up I immediately drink 32 ounces of water with half a lemon squeezed in. I let that settle a minute and then do this routine. I do each stretch 3x (each side ) for about 10-15 seconds. I end the session with one set of push ups to failure (right now about 40-43). I do the doorway stretch after the push ups while I catch my breath. It takes about 15-20 minutes.

Let me know if you think there are any glaring omissions. Or substitutions you'd recommend. I don't want to make it any longer. If it took any longer I might not do it every day. As it is I've been doing every day for a few years now.

View attachment 183824
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. Not sure if this counts as a glaring omission, but a succinct strength component would help. For example, starting with a 2-minute Founders pose, and then move into stretching with your muscles a bit warmer.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. Not sure if this counts as a glaring omission, but a succinct strength component would help. For example, starting with a 2-minute Founders pose, and then move into stretching with your muscles a bit warmer.
I have a dedicated barbell day. I used to have a body weight strength day but I’ve been running heaps lately..

Oh and in the evening if I’m watching TV I lie on the ground and do hollow holds and bridges, sometimes side planks.

Reactions: slipped_disc