Lost Surfboards Carbon Wrap vs C4 comparison?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare these two constructions?
I have a Short Round model in Carbon Wrap that was terrific, but now buckled. I will be replacing but considering C4 instead. I am curious if one handles more/less size or chop better than the other for instance Any feedback much appreciated. Thanks!!

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
I've never found any tech being better or worse depending on size or chop (except for PVC epoxies, ie: surftech, those suck all around), weight (cloth) seems to be more beneficial or detrimental than what the board is made of for certain conditions.

I'd love to try one of Drew Bagget-lammed Lost's, so far, the reviews are great both performance and durability.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks for your reply Ivan. I personally do experience a positive difference in boards, poly for example, feel more positive in juicier and or chopier conditions. I have tried surf tech and I agree with you 100% they feel very corky in a bad way and not good for me at all. Speaking of corky though I thought I read somewhere that construction of boards dampens chop. Thanks again!

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
Cork should be one of those materials that can somewhat dampen, sadly I could not speak for it since I've not tried anything soft other than soft-tops (hardly HP, lol). If you do get one, post a review :)

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Bumping this thread.

I'm a pretty big fan of carbon wraps.

Has anyone tried a C4 and can speak to how it goes? Bonus points if you've also ridden a Carbon Wrap as well!

I've picked them up and they seem really light. Maybe even lighter than carbon wraps. But they also seem a bit softer. Esp on the bottom side.

Lost has put a good amount of shapes out in this technology. Boards that I might just pull the trigger on if there were CW. What do you guys think?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
kool-aid said:
Bumping this thread.
saw your screen name and thought of this old photoshop i did
perhaps your new avatar, if it doesnt make u feel kooky?

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Ivan_ said:
Cork should be one of those materials that can somewhat dampen, sadly I could not speak for it since I've not tried anything soft other than soft-tops (hardly HP, lol). If you do get one, post a review :)
I have a stretch legacy which has the glasses over cork deck like c4. I have never rode the c4 but the stretch dampens bump and chop a lot. You lose out on the spring/pop/lively feelings somewhat compared to a lightweight EPS/epoxy board. I recommend it for waves that are chest high to doh and on up or in places that have a lot of bump and lump.

Don’t take this as how a c4 will rise as the carbon strips etc May change the ride characteristics.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Just make sure that carbon wrap has the “pureglass” logo, or something indicating it is CA made.

The C4 seems like a far more robust build but still super light: vacuum bagged, full carbon deck (I believe), cork over the carbon. FLA made.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
J_D_J said:
Just make sure that carbon wrap has the “pureglass” logo, or something indicating it is CA made.

The C4 seems like a far more robust build but still super light: vacuum bagged, full carbon deck (I believe), cork over the carbon. FLA made.
For sure, I always get the ones made in CA. I've had one of the offshore ones and while part of the issue was that the board was too big, it just didn't feel right and I sold it right away.

The CA made carbon wraps that I've had have been pretty money.

Jun 14, 2019
The C4 rides a little bit more like a poly in my opinion. It seems to have that same "dampening" that polys have over normal eps, but still feels extra lively.
It is also a center "stringer carbon" so it's a bit more predictable in and out of turns than the parabolic feel of the Carbon Wrap. They hold up slightly better and do not yellow as much as CW. I have the PJHP in C4 and it's my absolute go-to in anything head high and under.
CW is just a touch lighter and has more of the traditional pop of a standard eps- doesn't have the dampening of the cork though.
I'd say lean towards the CW if you are looking for straight performance in smaller waves and C4 if you're looking for a performance bump over poly with added strength.