Lost - Short Round sizing?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
There's a nice Lost Short Round in my area. Board and rocker look very sensitive to sizing. Anybody have one? What size are you and what are you riding? I've always liked the look of the planshape and the rocker. Thank you.

Jun 26, 2012
I’m a big lost fan but this was one of the worst boards I’ve ever ridden. I would personally look at another. I remember it was terrible off the top and got hung up and lacked speed and drive. Perhaps it was just a dog for me but I would steer clear.

Reactions: Aruka and racer1

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Looks like a lot of outline curve for the short length which would make me wary as a tall person.

I think it was designed for a tiny asian if I recall.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I had one, shortboard volume. Didn't really click with it. Board and surfer 6'2" x fatass. Mine was the Lib Tech, and I still adore my LTPJ, but have since sold LT Short Round.

Re: BennyC remarks, I'd agree it lacked drive, but couldn't disagree more about it coming off the top. It felt epic off the top. IMHO this board is all about the lack of balance between the corky boat up front and the narrow thin flip in the rear. It felt free off the top to me but it also refused to drive a bottom turn or stay set on rail, smoothly pushing back, through a cutback. It would pop out or wash out.

Made it great for chest high junky bowls where you do fun sloppy lip slams and snaps and you're checking into bottom turns because the wave isn't racy at all. But it died on flat spots (narrow thin flippy tail) and redlined, badly, not too much above where it felt like it finally got going.

Very tight sweet spot for me, whereas OG rocket and Baby Buggy suit me much better, and there's nothing Short Round did better than those two boards for me.

OG rocket is wider aft, but it doesn't have this dramatic foil/width transition. It holds a line better on rail and with all the tail width and rocker, still feels free in the lip. Going rail to rail across a flat/mushy spot, the OG rocket felt more precise, more responsive. Gets into waves better for me as well.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
This just triggered something. I realize, at 6'1, all my favorite boards are pretty straight from the wide point back.....
Yeah I used to think that it was the short length that I didn't click with in a lot of the stubby grovel type boards but in hindsight most of the ones I didn't like just had a bit too much curve in the outline and/or rocker. Just not enough drive, more of a mushy, turny feeling and lacking projection down the line. The Fling that you're so fond of has a pretty strait rail line, especially through the midsection and then the curve is more near the fin cluster which is where you're turning from anyways. I love my banjo fish which is obviously really strait outline through the midsection as well but then outline dives in near the rear fins giving some curve to turn off of. People are digging the Stamps Fuse as well which isn't too dissimilar in concept from the Short Round but I ordered mine too short and while it also feels just a little undersized overall I think the bigger problem for me is there's just a little too much outline curve so it turns nice but doesn't project the way I want.

Reactions: oeste858

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah I used to think that it was the short length that I didn't click with in a lot of the stubby grovel type boards but in hindsight most of the ones I didn't like just had a bit too much curve in the outline and/or rocker. Just not enough drive, more of a mushy, turny feeling and lacking projection down the line. The Fling that you're so fond of has a pretty strait rail line, especially through the midsection and then the curve is more near the fin cluster which is where you're turning from anyways. I love my banjo fish which is obviously really strait outline through the midsection as well but then outline dives in near the rear fins giving some curve to turn off of. People are digging the Stamps Fuse as well which isn't too dissimilar in concept from the Short Round but I ordered mine too short and while it also feels just a little undersized overall I think the bigger problem for me is there's just a little too much outline curve so it turns nice but doesn't project the way I want.
Gbuzz has nice amount of curve and single to double works nicely as quad..

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Mine was carbon wrap, 6'1" (3 inches below my height) great in the pocket and one of my fave boards ever! Honestly brought a spark back to my surfing and would recommend to anybody like me-I am 50 and scarcely get to surf. Hope that helped!

Reactions: fargy483 and Aruka

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
this board needs to be ridden as a quad. its a dog with a thruster setup. once i made that change i fell in love this board. it now suits my style perfectly and use it both on small days and hollow beachbreak. im 5'9 165 and ride a 5'9 in stock dims

Reactions: Aruka
Feb 3, 2015
LA County
this board needs to be ridden as a quad. its a dog with a thruster setup. once i made that change i fell in love this board. it now suits my style perfectly and use it both on small days and hollow beachbreak. im 5'9 165 and ride a 5'9 in stock dims
Ill second this. It's been my go to board all this summer and I love it. Im 6'0" 155lbs and have been riding 5'6" @ 27 liters. Took some getting used to the shorter rail (for me) as I prefer a little more length on boards.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I didn't like as quad only liked mine as thruster in small Hawaii pockety waves tho. Allowed more of a shortboard approach as opposed to the fishier boards (bottom feeder/then puddle jumper) I was riding in the same waves. I could see quad being better in sloopy or down the line. 6'4/230 6'1" 41L ...Different strokes

Reactions: fargy483

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I tried both pretty extensively in Florida and El Salvador.
Quad had that less drag feel, some fun sessions, but for me, with the narrow/flipped tail it still died in truly flat spots. In El Salvador, more push, more room, little more face height, Sub Driver was an easier board for me - just would go on rail, push back, keep speed, easier to do wide radius turns and maintain speed. What little was lost if anything paddling in was made up for in spades as soon as you push on the board.
Thruster, I think the waves this board most suited me were thruster. Chest-shoulder with a pocket, thruster felt pretty good to me. Best session was probably a short right point, sit on the boil boulder, wedge/chip in takeoff, goldilocks pace and pocket.

Strongly second the shortboard approach comment as well, just personally clicked more with Baby Buggy and Sub Driver. Short Round better than Sub Driver at bottom end of the North Florida wave range I'd ride this stuff in, especially with chop moguls on the face, but Baby Buggy just better for me across the whole range.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
So the guy selling it listed it again and gave me a price I couldn't resist. Picked it up and it's pretty damn good. I'm 6'1 and it's a 5'10. It doesn't do anything remarkable but it goes fast, snaps in the pocket and paddles very well. I rode it from waist high to nearly double overhead and it's a very good design. Has a lot of range. It's pretty straight from the wide point back, so it feels like a good 6'2 thruster with the nose shortened off. I like it a lot and it's a keeper. Poly blank with hydroflex infused epoxy glassing. Liked it better as a thruster than quad. Throws out the fins on almost every turn.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
So the guy selling it listed it again and gave me a price I couldn't resist. Picked it up and it's pretty damn good. I'm 6'1 and it's a 5'10. It doesn't do anything remarkable but it goes fast, snaps in the pocket and paddles very well. I rode it from waist high to nearly double overhead and it's a very good design. Has a lot of range. It's pretty straight from the wide point back, so it feels like a good 6'2 thruster with the nose shortened off. I like it a lot and it's a keeper. Poly blank with hydroflex infused epoxy glassing. Liked it better as a thruster than quad. Throws out the fins on almost every turn.
Great score Racer1! SR my fave all arounder (in carbon wrap) and had that same amazing construction on a V2 shortboard(my fave for little curvier all around waves). I bet the Hydro const SR will add more range in better or more choppy conditions.

Warning! I was pretty careful keeping the Hydroflex cool but, not certain the cause, after several months dry I noticed the nearly the entire bottom of the board was covered in round dimples like the glass had been sucked in from the foam! -not pretty and very disappointing!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hmm that is weird, this board is a few years old so hopefully it passed whatever stage that is. I'll also try to keep it out of the car.

Reactions: chilly1
Jul 21, 2015
Nice come up!

I have one. In fact, I am on my second one. The first was a 5.5x19.63x2.32 (Japanese model dims). My current one is custom. 5.5 and 19.25 wide with 2.32 thick and 4 channel bottom (r-4 or whatever he calls it).

The first one I had I surfed a ton. And then more. I think it is easy to surf and probably one of the boards that allowed me to progress my surfing the most. It is versatile and good for most of the waves I surf in California waist to chest or shoulder high. For me, the key to the short round is having it shorter than you are tall. I'm 5.8 and likely could have gone an inch shorter and a tad narrower.

It's fun with an MR twin plus trailer on the smaller days but I like it as a thruster with either MB fins (L) or Stretch fins. As a quad it has another gear. I use stretch sf4 or mb fronts with sf4 rears. It's like a 'HP' fish. However, if the wave has some curve or steep drops, I find the wider nose a bit tricky.- more so with my fisrt one at 19.63". I'm sure that is mostly operator error but worth sharing.

Reactions: chilly1