Lost RNF Redux vs. CI Rocket Wide v. CI MTF

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Can anyone give me their comparison's between the RNF Redux and the Rocket Wide?

I have been surfing a Lost RNF Redux this summer and fall. It is a Black Dart version by Drew in Florida. I ride Stamps upright twin with a MR trailer. It's been fun in my smaller surf (head high and under beach break). I like it but I am not married to it and I am having thoughts of C.I. Rocket Wide or CI MTF (an old favorite of mine). I would be going with spinetec for the Rocket Wide.

I like a board that let's me push like a thruster but gives me help in the meager beach break I surf.

Thanks. Here is a shot of the fin set up I use.

Attachments

Reactions: MathDebater

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
For whatever it's worth, I tried the Rocket Wide and it wasn't quite the board for me. Had lots of that fun glide factor but on bigger waves it felt skittish and like it was going to spin out on turns. Good board for California, maybe? Based on what I hear. Probably a good board for the classic, "meager beach break."

Got a few waves on the Redux and that felt better, felt like it has a higher top end range.

I'm looking to get a board for the off season and I'm considering a DHD Phoenix swallow tail, Sharpeye Maguro or T Patterson Full Moon.

Maybe you want to have a check at the DHD Phoenix swallow tail? Very similar shape to the Rocket Wide.

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Thanks. I pretty locked into a C.I. because a generous friend gives me the first option on the boards boards he is culling out of his world class quiver.

The RNF Redux is aptly named for it does have a Round Nose. I really like the way it goes as a high performance twin plus small trailer and I am sure the nose is not causing me problems. I am looking at this board as the low end in my quiver for small beach break. And it sounds like the Rocket Wide is better on the low end. That is impressive for the RNF Redux as been impressive on the low end.

Jan 6, 2021
I had both and kept my rocket wide over the redux. I found they had similar ranges for what I was surfing but the RW surfed better top to bottom

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I had a couple of surfs on a RNF redux, and have had two Rocket Wides.

Rocket Wide >>>>>>> RNF redux for sure.

I will say though - I don't get the hype on the Rocket Wide as a twin plus trailer. Its fin setup is a thruster placement and it works way better like that IMHO

Reactions: jackhammer40