Lost Retro Gun info/feedback

kai kane

OTF status
May 15, 2003
pacific
Hi - looking at ordering a 7'0 in stock dimensions for North Shore surf. Anyone have experience with this model? Suggestions?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I would consider going more narrow and thinner unless you're a big dude. Big fan of the retro gun but the stock boards are a little boaty for my tastes.

I would recommend taking a look at one IRL if you haven't already. Definitely do not order it thicker than the stock dims as the boards have very flat decks and chunky rails.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It always looked like a good board for bigger, slopey, take offs rather than anything super steep. Lots of paddle power, probably not the most precise for taking late drops. Kind of a paddle and go straight for the shoulder style gun.

I could be wrong.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It always looked like a good board for bigger, slopey, take offs rather than anything super steep. Lots of paddle power, probably not the most precise for taking late drops. Kind of a paddle and go straight for the shoulder style gun.

I could be wrong.
Different thought process then now during 80z and 90z even semi bigger 7'-7'6" wider and thicker then today most get by on step ups under the lip drops on DOH waves. The out line is more or less what I had my local shaper shape me in '89 for Pascuales trip. Just different vibe or old flavor that worked for most on some gnarly waves

kai kane

OTF status
May 15, 2003
pacific
Thanks for feedback. For context, board mostly will be used for medium size days at various spots between lanis and waimea plus certain east- and westside breaks. Also some known but low-key deeper water breaks. Extra volume almost always ok. Domesticated surfer not taking off under the lip at Pipeline.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Different thought process then now during 80z and 90z even semi bigger 7'-7'6" wider and thicker then today most get by on step ups under the lip drops on DOH waves. The out line is more or less what I had my local shaper shape me in '89 for Pascuales trip. Just different vibe or old flavor that worked for most on some gnarly waves

Indeed. They look like they'd work for me!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

I could be wrong.
The stock ones definitely yes. They can be adjusted for the former though. Checkout the team dims on Lost's retro gun page to see how it gets adjusted.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'd want some of the team nose/tail flip as well in something steep/dumping with no option for early entry.
I had models when they were just making them for the team and then again when they were available as stock boards and the rocker looked the same. The decks got way flatter through when they released the stock model.

The versions I got when it was custom only had much more domed decks and refined rails and were really really nice. Will probably order a custom or two for next year.