...Lost Retro Gun (and more)

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
The new slew of Lost boards sound really good. Retro Gun seems to have a lot of the attributes that make my Desert Storm such a hoot.

Retro Ripper would be a great DD in our windy corner of the world.

https://lostsurfboards.net/surfboards/

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Nice one, Kool-aid.

So nice to be able to set up barrels early on a high-volume board. My 6'10 x 19 3/4 x 3" Desert Storm has been unreal for that, and I'm going to shape a 6'4 version for just OH waves.

Let us know how you get on.

Edit: I would looooove to have a go at OB on a big, thick board. Our big waves all all rocky and funky.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
"So nice to be able to set up barrels early on a high-volume board."

Good fun hearing another " High Tech" shaper telling his customers to go thinner and narrower when they were a pain in the ass to surf with - they were getting pitched on those boards

Very nice looking board Kool- aid .

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Duffy said:
Isn’t this just a Pyzel Padillac?
Probably as much as a Pyzel Phantom is a CI New Flyer is a JS Monsta 8. Pointy nose SB, single to double, yada yada.

Smart-arsedness aside, I'd hazard a guess that the ...Lost has beefier rails, more concave through the fins, and more nose flip. Just from my experience with Matt's and Jon's boards.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
That ^^ and also the Padillacs are more like shrunken down roundish big wave guns and the Retro Guns are a little bit more like overgrown retro shortboards for bigger waves. I'd almost say they're closer to a Black Beauty than a Padillac.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
None of those look relevant to me in any way.
Although, Kool-aid, your board looks nice and I'm sure will get put through its
paces in your area.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Oceanslide said:
None of those look relevant to me in any way.
Although, Kool-aid, your board looks nice and I'm sure will get put through its
paces in your area.
Yep, for spots where you're normally riding an SB or semi groveler they don't make a lot of sense. Chop, bump, or the need to cover ground, and they look sweet.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
bluengreen said:
Any reports from the field on these? Winter is coming in San Fran and I'm eyeing a 7'0."
Thumbs up from my perspective but it really depends on what you're looking for. For me they're a great combination of ease of use, paddle / wave catchability and performance. There are guns out there that paddle and catch waves better (paddilac) and boards that are more surfable (semi gun) but for me they're the perfect compromise.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
kool-aid said:
bluengreen said:
Any reports from the field on these? Winter is coming in San Fran and I'm eyeing a 7'0."
Thumbs up from my perspective but it really depends on what you're looking for. For me they're a great combination of ease of use, paddle / wave catchability and performance. There are guns out there that paddle and catch waves better (paddilac) and boards that are more surfable (semi gun) but for me they're the perfect compromise.
Sounds exactly like what I’m looking for....