Lost Quiver Killer

emtee

Nep status
Nov 28, 2015
flat
No, but I like the shape a lot. I would buy it if I didn't have a very similar board already...curious to hear what people have to say

adam33

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 23, 2005
Long Beach, NY
My buddy loves his. He owns both the quiver killer and mini driver
and says the QK is more user friendly. Turns better and easier.
This one looks like it may replace my mini driver when it dies.
I love the outline.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Yeah. I have a few with a similar outline that work for me and could use something in the mid range.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think it's more like a round tail Short Round with some tweaks. If that's the case it's got basically the opposite rocker of a Mini Driver- low in front, high in tail where MD is more in nose, less in tail so probably not too interchangeable unless you are down with the Rocket style rocker rather than the Driver style rocker.

Rode a Short Round over Christmas courtesy of Quivers in HB and confirmed that it doesn't work for me personally. Outline is nice though. Low nose rocker + wideish nose + steep drop = fail for me.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I just pulled the trigger on a 6'0 with stock dims. Will let you know.
I used to ride a similar sized Double Blunt. This one looks a little more foiled, thinner in the nose, pulled in in the tail and with a touch more rocker throughout

gkatz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 12, 2008
without being too specific. my friend has it and it did not kill his quiver :)
the PJ on the other hand did...

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
gkatz said:
Can you be a bit more specific?
The PJ is a fantastic groveler and is nice in up to mid range soft waves but absolutely not a good one for hollow waves with any size or bigger waves

gkatz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 12, 2008
aldo1 said:
gkatz said:
Can you be a bit more specific?
The PJ is a fantastic groveler and is nice in up to mid range soft waves but absolutely not a good one for hollow waves with any size or bigger waves
so where I live we get 1-4 foot beach breaks mostly. PJ works better for my friend than the QK. personally I dont have experience with either one but I dont think the QK will kill anyone's quiver

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Yeah. The PJ is great in small gutless to medium sized soft stuff. The QK is more for medium to large more critical stuff but can grovel Ok as a quad..........I think............I hope.....

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Wonder what the addition of the round tail and touch more rocker in nose and tail in the PJ round tail does to this equation. Since it's ridden shorter than a quiver killer, a bit of additional nose and tail kick and an narrower tail area might go a long way.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I picked this up a few weeks ago but had not surfed it until a few days ago.
It is a PU/poly 6'0 x 20.25 x 2.5 (33.25l) It feels a like a little less volume than this. I normally ride a VS Shadow and a VS Time Machine. Both are EPS.

I rode it in shoulder to head with occasional overhead reef break with the mayhem large quads. The board is quite pulled in at both ends with more rocker throughout and feels considerably smaller than my 5'11 Shadow. The rails are also foiled throughout with the nose and tail being very thin. Most of the volume is around the center of the board. It gets into waves easily and has a good turn of speed when you put it in the pocket. On the flatter sections it does slow down a little but is quick to respond to a pump or a steep section of the wave.
The most noticeable difference from my other boards is that it sits down further in the water than the epoxy boards, which tend to get pushed out in front with more powerful surf. It also has a really curvy shape that can turn very tight and go vertically easily. The rears are straight and placed closer to the center which probably gives it a more thruster type feel.
After a couple of waves I had some really good tight turns under the lip with the tail releasing easily. All in all I was very happy with the board and cannot wait to get it into some bigger waves and try it as a 3 fin. I got this as a mid range board for Shoulder to DOH waves with push when the Shadow is just a little to floaty and fast. This is my 3rd Mayhem and feel like it may be the best for me. Thanks MB.

Finally. I don't think this is a "quiver killer" at all. The board appears to need a little juice to work well and cannot compete in the small stuff with a lazyboy or PJ type board or even the Shadow.

[img:left]http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a446/Aldo750/IMG_2550_zps4dghkjfx.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a446/Aldo750/IMG_2548_zps6460hhuk.jpg[/img]

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
It looks like a great outline and rocker and similar to what I have as a better wave board

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I understand the mini driver and this board are quite similar. The mini drivers rails are not as foiled and it probably has more overall rocker. The QK rocker is moderate to low throughout(much more than your standard Hybrid or fatty) with an acceleration in the tail. The nose also has a good flip.
Feels very nice under the arm and under foot. Will report back when I get it in some more serious waves.

Jul 21, 2015
How does it compare to your double blunt? I have a dbl blunt that I like but recently picked up a short round. i like the deep single to double and now i am eyeing a QK. BTW your board looks a beautiful.

surfer4christ

OTF status
Feb 22, 2005
For all the people wondering if the Puddle Jumper is more of a quiver killer, I would say that it is. I picked up a 5'4 a few weeks ago (slim dimensions) and I've ridden it in tons of different conditions. Most notably, I have surfed it in pumping head high beach break with some very hollow sections. It's not ideal in those waves, but it works pretty well. I can see how some people would prefer it in those conditions over a normal shortboard, though next time I will opt for my HPSB.

Long story short, the PJ is very capable in bigger, more powerful surf.