Lost Quiver Killer vs. Pyzel Phantom

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Hi guys

I’m in the middle of changing up my quiver and I’m trying to decide on one of these two boards. Has anyone tried both and know how they compare? They look like they could be similar if both were round tails.

Thanks!

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I have a qk and curious about the phantom. Qk has great range and does great turns. Paddles and catches waves well but not that fast down the line compared to gravel boars. Likes more top to bottom surfing unless ur at a point break with a longer wall. Needs about a chest high wave to light up. Can’t comment on the phantom.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't ridden the QK but I have a buddy who rides one and I've given it a good fondling. I rode a Phantom for a while about two years ago. I liked it. It feels like pretty much a HPSB with a little extra glide and easier wave catching. Doesn't grovel super well even as a squash tail but handles more size than I expected. Has a fairly continuous rocker which feels more suited to waves with some shape and push. In the right waves it's super fun and lively and high performance.

QK probably has similar range but I get the impression it's a little more user friendly and easy to surf. I think the rocker is lower but I don't have one here to compare. My buddy surfs his well and is stoked on it. It's basically his daily driver for when the waves are waist to overhead. He's found the limit in well overhead surf where he said he just felt like he needed more rocker. The waves were cooking though.

Last edited:
Reactions: claw87 and SD_Dan

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Funny I've been debating between the quiver killer and round tail phantom too for chest to overhead. I have a stock 6'3 qk that's at the bottom range of volume i should ride but goes great for when it's low tide and pumping. I kinda want another with a touch more volume for more range of conditions or want to try the phantom in a round tail. Waves here aren't quite ghost worthy

Reactions: Havoc and SD_Dan

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I haven't ridden the QK but I have a buddy who rides one and I've given it a good fondling. I rode a Phantom for a while about two years ago. I liked it. It feels like pretty much a HPSB with a little extra glide and easier wave catching. Doesn't grovel super well even as a squash tail but handles more size than I expected. Has a fairly continuous rocker which feels more suited to waves with some shape and push. In the right waves it's super fun and lively and high performance.

QK probably has similar range but I get the impression it's a little more user friendly and easy to surf. I think the rocker is lower but I don't have one here to compare. My buddy surfs his well and is stoked on it. It's basically his daily driver for when the waves are waist to overhead. He's found the limit in well overhead surf where he said he just felt like he needed more rocker. The waves were cooking though.
Thanks for the review. Very helpful.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I doubt this applies across the board ( no pun intended) but your daily driver designed HI is kind of like a pretty good wave board on the mainland. Generally you will find more rocker in HI shapes. Except maybe the round tails that would inherently have less tail rocker than a squash.

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I doubt this applies across the board ( no pun intended) but your daily driver designed HI is kind of like a pretty good wave board on the mainland. Generally you will find more rocker in HI shapes. Except maybe the round tails that would inherently have less tail rocker than a squash.
I think you're right. The Phantom which is a ghost step-down, seems like a good wave board for CA. I know the Quiver Killer is a step-up from the short round, but would probably be a daily driver or groveller in HI. :)

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
My take on it ...Gremlin is a better choice VS the Phantom in smaller conditions. Shadow is a better choice in all other conditions against the Phantom. I had issues digging the nose rail on turns with mine when pushing on it hard and didn't find it to catch waves any easier than my shadow. Could have the slight edge on speed maybe. I sold it after a few months, but i do hear of a lot of guys that really like theirs so maybe mine was just a dud or sizing off. I usually get customs and the phantom was an off the shelf. I bounce around in CA often since I live in SoCal but my studio is in NorCal. My take on it for what its worth. Never rode a QK so cant really comment there.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
20200821_143511.jpg

6'0 phantom next to my other 6'0 (?...might have measured wrongly)

After a few tries I can tell that the Phantom is fast but wants a clean powerful wave. It's no groveller. Yet it definitely wants more front foot. Hmm. Maybe for smaller but hollow, down the line waves. Good thing we get so many of those here...

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
View attachment 96575

6'0 phantom next to my other 6'0 (?...might have measured wrongly)

After a few tries I can tell that the Phantom is fast but wants a clean powerful wave. It's no groveller. Yet it definitely wants more front foot. Hmm. Maybe for smaller but hollow, down the line waves. Good thing we get so many of those here...
Definitely try the large merrick fins.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 on trying large(r) fins. AM1 are pretty small and AM2 pretty big.

not sure what you weigh but I bet the keel has way less tail rocker. more fin will help.

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'll get some large fins. I'm 205~ right now, but on the way down to 190something once the waves come up. (I hope! :LOL: )