lost light speed tech or naw?

slickjc

Nep status
Jul 1, 2004
so. cal.
Have you tried lost new tech "light speed" ? Do you like it? Would you prefer a light pu glassing instead?
What have you heard?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Have you tried lost new tech "light speed" ? Do you like it? Would you prefer a light pu glassing instead?
What have you heard?
You mean pe instead of pu...Polyurethane or pu is the foam blank and polyester or pe is resin.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
After riding the board a little bit more and getting it into some more powerful conditions, here's my updated review on the tech.

Definitely a build that is ideal for HH and under. If we're talking HH and powerful I'd probably default to an ultralight PU/PE. If we're talking about SH-HH+ with any push I'd definitely default to an ultralight PU/PE.

For waves that are truly HH and under then I'd personally prefer a Light Speed but if you're someone that really likes the dependability of a PU/PE board or on the fence about alternative constructions then you should definitely default to an ultralight PU/PE.

My only real beef with the Light Speed construction is that it's overly flexible and rebounds aggressively in waves with any size / push. You can certainly correct for this with rider adjustments but I'm not sure that it's ideal and again, if you're the kind of person that is already on the fence about alt constructions you're probably going to be pretty annoyed by this.

The one other callout worth making is that as you'd expect, durability seems to be good. So while it's hard to beat the feel of an ultralight PU/PE board if durability is a concern then Light Speed is definitely worth looking at.

In terms of how it compares to other alt constructions, I probably haven't ridden it enough to definitively say but I'd put it towards the top of the stack compared to say carbon wrap, HY-Fi and other stuff like that.

Reactions: sdsrfr

slickjc

Nep status
Jul 1, 2004
so. cal.
After riding the board a little bit more and getting it into some more powerful conditions, here's my updated review on the tech.

Definitely a build that is ideal for HH and under. If we're talking HH and powerful I'd probably default to an ultralight PU/PE. If we're talking about SH-HH+ with any push I'd definitely default to an ultralight PU/PE.

For waves that are truly HH and under then I'd personally prefer a Light Speed but if you're someone that really likes the dependability of a PU/PE board or on the fence about alternative constructions then you should definitely default to an ultralight PU/PE.

My only real beef with the Light Speed construction is that it's overly flexible and rebounds aggressively in waves with any size / push. You can certainly correct for this with rider adjustments but I'm not sure that it's ideal and again, if you're the kind of person that is already on the fence about alt constructions you're probably going to be pretty annoyed by this.

The one other callout worth making is that as you'd expect, durability seems to be good. So while it's hard to beat the feel of an ultralight PU/PE board if durability is a concern then Light Speed is definitely worth looking at.

In terms of how it compares to other alt constructions, I probably haven't ridden it enough to definitively say but I'd put it towards the top of the stack compared to say carbon wrap, HY-Fi and other stuff like that.
thx