Lost Driver 2.0

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I know there are a few guys here who are digging this model. SITD winner and all that. I've had mine for a few weeks now. Maybe 10 sessions on it. First few times I rode it the waves were either huge or tiny and it was hard to get a read on it. Last few sessions the waves were fun sized and I've really been digging the board. It feels like a very balanced thruster. At first I thought it didn't really have anything remarkable going on but after playing with fins and just getting used to the board I've had some really good sessions on it. The board catches waves pretty well, carries good speed over flat sections. Really easy to get vertical but also has good hold on rail through open face turns.

Compared to one of my most recent favorites, the Pyzel Shadow, the Driver feels like it wants more back foot pressure to come alive. If I try to push hard and drive off the front foot like I do on the Shadow it is more likely to bog as if the forward rocker is plowing water. My Shadow is an inch shorter but it catches waves as well or better than the Driver and I think has slightly more directional, stiff feel. The Driver has just a little more of a free and easy ride, especially when driven off the back foot. Despite being an inch longer it feels like it does better in small and weaker waves, there is just a bit more squirt when pumping for speed in sub par surf. At first I thought I'd possibly gone too long with the driver. At 6'4" it's an inch over my height. After getting used to it I'm glad for the length and while I definitely could have gone with my normal 6'3" I don't think this design minds being ridden a little longer. The nose is fairly moderate/narrow by today's standards and while there is foam pushed up under the chest it thins out pretty well in the very tip.

That's actually my only real nitpick of the board is that classic Mayhem flippy, chipped out tip. It's so pointy and thin and delicate I feel like I'm going to bust it off and aesthetically it does not bring me joy. The outline, foil and overall package is good and handsome to look at, it's just that tip that I don't love.

I will have more thoughts on this board as I (hopefully) get some more sessions on it soon. I also have a newish Patterson IF15 round tail I've been riding and it's been kind of an interesting contrast going back and forth between those two.

AM2 honeycomb felt a little stiff in the driver, DHD L feel great. Might try a more upright template at some point but probably going to stick with the DHD's for a bit.

I'm 6'3" x 180 + 5/4 hooded suit, booties, etc.

Lost Driver 2.0, XTR 8.C, 6'4" x 19 3/8" x 2 9/16" 32.5L From memory I think the nose is 12" and tail is 14 9/16" but I'm not 100% on that and I'm too lazy to check right now.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Nice review, Aruka.

I've been alternating between my Shadow and Driver this spring and would say that my feelings are somewhat similar.

I'd be hesitant to suggest that the Shadow is stiffer or significantly less loose than the driver but I would say that between the two the Driver is definitely a bit more free and high performance. The Shadow tends to be more of a carver like the Phatom / Ghost.

I would definitely suggest that the Shadow catches waves easier and has more flow than my Driver (not 2.0, older team file).

I'd also say that I'm generally pretty surprised by how well the drive does off my front foot but that it definitely forces me to be a more back footed surfer than I'm inclined to be.

Both great boards IMO.

Reactions: Aruka

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I was surprised at the low end range as well.
Like I said before the only real issue in smaller stuff was getting it on rail on small faces.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Nice review, Aruka.

I've been alternating between my Shadow and Driver this spring and would say that my feelings are somewhat similar.

I'd be hesitant to suggest that the Shadow is stiffer or significantly less loose than the driver but I would say that between the two the Driver is definitely a bit more free and high performance. The Shadow tends to be more of a carver like the Phatom / Ghost.

I would definitely suggest that the Shadow catches waves easier and has more flow than my Driver (not 2.0, older team file).

I'd also say that I'm generally pretty surprised by how well the drive does off my front foot but that it definitely forces me to be a more back footed surfer than I'm inclined to be.

Both great boards IMO.
Are both your Driver and Shadow the same length?

I have ridden a couple older Drivers but it's been a while. I own a fairly recent Sub Driver Swallow. The 2.0 feels like it has a bit more flow and paddles better than the other Drivers I've ridden, Sub included.

I think the 2.0 is more balanced than previous versions but it still rewards a more back footed approach for sure.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Almost the same... Shadow is 6'0 x 19.25 x 2.56 and the Driver is 6'0 x 19.18 x 2.56

Rereading my response I might actually clarify a bit. The Shadow has more down the line flow, especially in softer waves, making it easy to generate momentum and do solid carves.

But I feel like the Driver has a lot more flow in and around the pocket which makes it easier to surf vertical and in a more high-performance capacity.

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Akura, this thing paddles way better than it has any right to.

It should be worse, but my CI #4 is torture on lower back and is so slow to paddle. 5'5" vs 5'9"
Makes me scared to buy another stubby.
You ever get this issue?

Reactions: chilly1 and Aruka

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
You might like the lost V2SB or V2 rocket, paddles nicely and catches waves easily with low nose rocker. turns very well in nearly all curves around little overhead and under-kick in tail. Likely have to order custom, doubt you would be disappointed.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Akura, this thing paddles way better than it has any right to.

It should be worse, but my CI #4 is torture on lower back and is so slow to paddle. 5'5" vs 5'9"
Makes me scared to buy another stubby.
You ever get this issue?
The CI #4 is stubby but with more rocker than most, right? I think that's a bad combo for paddling and wave catching. My usual HPSB's are 6'3 or 6'4" and then I'll go down to a 6'1" for step downs. The longer boards consistently feel like they paddle through open water a bit better and usually but not always catch waves a little better. Every little thing matters but I think the area up front and under the chest is super important for how well a board gets into waves. Rocker curve, width and thickness in this area have a big impact on how much the board moves through water and how early it can catch the waves energy.

The Driver 2.0 feels like it's right in the sweet spot. It's got just enough foam under the chest and the rocker is smooth and moderate enough that it doesn't feel like its plowing like some of the potato chips of the 90's and 2000's.

If I was looking for a stubby to compliment a 5-9 Driver I would look at a 5-6 or 5-7 Uber Driver.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
You might like the lost V2SB or V2 rocket, paddles nicely and catches waves easily with low nose rocker. turns very well in nearly all curves around little overhead and under-kick in tail. Likely have to order custom, doubt you would be disappointed.
V2SB was a pretty solid board. Would love to see a SD2 redux. That was the first thruster model I really learned how to surf and love. Good times.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Funny hearing different opinions of the Driver. I have had a number of them including the 2.0 and a JW file. IMO they are real hard to surf but rewarding. Seems like I have to always be surfing off the back foot and pushing hard or the tail feels like its kinda floating. Because of this I tend to reserve pulling this board out for when its nice and bowly and you can really dig in on turns and surf top to bottom, feels hard for me to stand still and wait for a section to present itself where I think a more neutral rocker would be easier. JW file is easier though from what I heard its a blend of the Driver and F1 stub or something.

Jul 5, 2009
Was wondering if anyone has compared this with a CI Fever or a Phantom round tail (which is more grovely I guess) by chance?

After snapping my XTR ghost last week in a free accident, I'm thinking about ordering a new XTR, so far the ghost and the fever are two of my favorite boards over the past years, so am thinking about trying out one of these or getting a shadow, round tail phantom or a phantom.

Thanks, guys! Stocked!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I think that if you really love the ghost and fever it’s not going to be guaranteed that you’ll like the driver especially if you’re predominantly a front footed surfer. The driver responds much better when you’re on your back foot over the tail surfing it aggressively.

Of the boards you mentioned I happen to think that the phantom makes a really fantastic round tail all arounder. It’s not going to have the top end of the boards you mentioned but it still makes a pretty savage daily driver. Here’s mine in XTR (5’11 x 19.25 x 2.56) and I’ve ridden it in everything from 3 foot OB to pumping OH indo barrels and it’s just super solid.

http://instagr.am/p/BpVC3Mkn-K9/