Lost Driver 2.0

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
@Havoc I personally think there would be boards out there that might be better suited for you depending on what your tastes are.

I find the Driver series likes to be surfed hard and aggressively. I dunno, something about the boards make me want to surf them that way. My Pyzels on the other (like the Shadow) tend to be a little bit more cruisy and do more of the work for you.

So unless you're eager to get on the tail and really "drive" the sh!t out of the board I would suggest looking elsewhere. That's not to suggest that it can't be done.
thanks kool-aid! keen to see your sub driver reviews as you get more sessions on it. :cheers:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Also, not sure if it's the foam the glass or the glassing conditions or all of the above but whatever they're using/doing feels like heaven underfoot.

Also the board tumbled about six feet down a cliff and not a ding or dent.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
So finally got to ride mine in decent surf. Clean, offshore, chest-overhead lagoon-groomed sandbar. I've also ridden twice in subpar conditions and once at a really tricky hollow reef I'd never surfed before.

Impressions

Super easy to ride from the first wave yet still releases no problem, really stable board.
Feels pretty anemic underarm for whatever reason.
Great paddler, very easy wave catching ability.
Rocker is pretty flat through the center, not sure if I'd call it staged, but this was pretty noticeable for me in all aspects from paddling to surfing as I've never had a board with such a rocker.
Large sweet spot in the front, this can offer up some control as far as ideal back foot placement if you're dropping into a hollow one.
Nice carry through over flat spots.

The KAs were pretty loose, not difficult to surf but not the way I'm used to surfing. Not bad for the smaller side of things though as the board becomes really easy to throw around but in critical situations and powerful thick pitching lips I felt I didn't have a whole lot of control. But like I said, they're not the kind of fins I'm used to. I'm sticking with the Fannings for now - they actually felt quite good and very engaged in the chest high+zone. Initially they felt tracky but I think it was more me adjusting to the rocker and large sweetspot.

No complaints. I'm looking forward to getting to know this one more. Nothing particular stands out about it. It just does what it's supposed to do. Doesn't require any thinking. Gets in early and you can generate plenty of speed right out the gates.

I haven't had to really do any cutbacks though and I'm interested to see how those are going to work out.
pretty consistent with my thoughts on teh original driver. not as aggresively rockered as other hpsb's i've had but still handled critical stuff just find.

Just a damn easy predictable board to surf, and surf well.

Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Glad you finally got the Driver out in some decent waves and that she's not a total dud Casa

Last couple times I rode mine I ran DHD L sides with a smaller center and it felt great. Little looser and easier to throw around. Finally been good enough waves to ride a real board again, thank goodness.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So I've finally gotten to ride it a few times in some decent surf.

I've found the JS FCS fin to be very compatible with the board. Obviously the Kolohe fin is a go to for a lot of of people but personally I felt it was too different from the way I like to surf. Fannings are popular too but the JS fin just felt like it had better release.

Pros:
- paddles well
- really easy to catch waves
- It's really easy to surf (more on that below)
- "drives" well

Cons
- It's really picky in regards to type of wave it likes
- a few nuances of the board I just don't like (more on that below)

Conditions I've ridden it:
- Peaky, clean, chest-head high Oceanside pier (south side, mostly lefts)
- Clean, overhead Blacks
- Waist-head high blacks
- Hollow, thick head-overhead beachbreak tubes
- Head-overhead powerful pitching but mediocre reef surf
- waist high, sectiony, shallow racetrack reef surf.

I'm giving it a C.

It's really easy to surf as in this is a great shortboard for a beginner. It's the most stable feeling HPSB I've ever surfed and gives a ton of confidence in all aspects - from catching waves to completing turns in more critical sections. It's like you can't come disconnected. It's really obvious why some of the air guys really like this board, it just gives a lot of confidence especially under the front foot. To me it really doesn't turn on at all until chest high, and really excels in head-OH surf.

That said it has me feeling pretty lost. As in, it's not aboard I'm going to progress on. And while it's an easy board to surf, I find that like training wheels it's carrying me through situations I normally would have blown. I've done some great turns and some turn that feel horrendous on this thing. It's just mediocre.

Admittedly it's different than what I typically ride, or really have ever ridden. More thickness through the nose, more foam to the rails, and a rocker that to me seems pretty flat through the middle.

The nuances that seem to really stick out to me:
- It needs waves, and the wave needs to be standing up, always.
- That said, not every wave that starts chest high ends chest high. And the board just feels like a total dog in small surf. The first 2/3s of the wave can feel great, then in the shrinking last 3rd suddenly it will feel like a struggling heavy load of board.
- Trying to take a tight high line off the takeoff backside the rail just gets in the fcking way. The "in the way" sensation comes from my front foot and then toward the nose. Feels like the board is bogging and working against me. Taking off a little behind the peak and trying for that first initial pump into a high line it's been difficult to make it happen on multiple occasions and sections I would have typically been able to take advantage of have been bogged into/through and liveliness is lost.
- Big sweet spot. Very obvious with this board. A good idea in theory, but there's got to be a downside. Sounds silly but I know what the downside is, I just can't put it into words. The best I can say is, without a huge sweet spot you're going to learn where the sweet spot is and the board will behave predictably, leading to the ability to produce quality surfing. With a huge sweet spot it's going to help you ride the board but allow you to be sloppier and lend itself to sloppier foot placement, at least in the case of mortals.
- I'll save the really weird for last. It feels like this board's rocker has multiple faces that you interact with during the wave.I've never been able to "feel" a board's rocker like this but there are moments where it feels good and moments where it just feels dull and bulky.

I watched some video of a few waves the other day and I did a few decent backside snaps under the lip. The thing that stuck out is the turns looked good, but during each one of those turns I can remember thinking "This board feels strangely bulky" and overall that pretty much sums up my general feelings about it in our day to day surf. With some power and size it turns on nicely though.

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It seems like lost has really been going for the "user friendly" thing recently.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Going back to my sharpeye , it has much more sensitive rails that are less forgiving , while the lost feels good, but it is more forgiving and while I like that for ease of use, I can see where it doesn't give the feedback when I'm fucking up? Similar feeling? Like sometimes I'd rather be punished and learn from my error

Reactions: urchined

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not really looking at anything else. I've clicked very well with Xanadu's stuff, particularly the Xank and X21, overall he's provided good one on one guidance. X21 has a lot of rocker but for whatever reason is very versatile in a variety of decent surf.

I'll probably try another JS sometime soon, I've had good luck x2 with his stuff.

Reactions: jkb

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Always interested in more Xanadu feedback. Xank looks like a really good all-arounder.