Lost Driver 2.0

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Noel has the absolute worst taste in music.
I'll take it over technotronic dance music and bro-country any day of the week. One year in Mexico some people camping downstairs from the balcony of wave viewing would play that dance music that sounds like it's repeating for an hour straight. Basically ruined post-lunch digestion sitting there zoning out watching the wave machine.

Nuke Ibiza from orbit.

Reactions: jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Fark, I haven't ridden mine in ages. Just haven't really had the waves for it. I've driven around with it in my truck a bunch but I always end up opting for something more grovelly lately.

I can't wait to ride it again. I miss it.

You're not that old, are you @Havoc? I mean, you look old as hell but I thought that was just the result of your rockstar lifestyle ;)

It's a HPSB. It takes some decent waves and some skill to ride it well. It's easier to ride than most of the thrusters of 10 years ago though. It hides some foam along the stringer so you can squeeze in a little extra volume. I know you've been getting in shape and surging a bit so I reckon you could have a good time on it when the waves get good.

Any other short boars you've been considering?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Fark, I haven't ridden mine in ages. Just haven't really had the waves for it. I've driven around with it in my truck a bunch but I always end up opting for something more grovelly lately.

I can't wait to ride it again. I miss it.

You're not that old, are you @Havoc? I mean, you look old as hell but I thought that was just the result of your rockstar lifestyle ;)

It's a HPSB. It takes some decent waves and some skill to ride it well. It's easier to ride than most of the thrusters of 10 years ago though. It hides some foam along the stringer so you can squeeze in a little extra volume. I know you've been getting in shape and surging a bit so I reckon you could have a good time on it when the waves get good.

Any other short boars you've been considering?
ci fever or Stamps scarecrow are also on the list. Maybe st from pyzel. When it gets bigger it feels easier to takeoff on an hpsb. Been lots of south swell here lately and more on the way.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Anyone still surging the 2.0? Can an old dude who wants to give hpsb one last go make it work?
Food for thought-
My Son just got a custom Sub Driver 2.0 carbon wrap. Not sure whose fault it was but it came an inch longer than expected but turned out a happy accident as he absolutely loves it. Its his first non proper HPSB still a few inches under his height. Seems like a good call to extend length the performance small wave boars for CA an EC. Also vaguely remember Matt recommending is good to extend PJHP.
He is not an old dude but one might consider this route

BTW His previous board was the Driver 2.0 Varial and hated it, (I think maybe was too light tho) he mostly lives in RI where the waves are epic (15 days a year).

Reactions: Havoc

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
"Engineered to thunder down the line like a relentless freighttrain displacing buckets of biblical proportions. Don’t go longer to have the edge on the rest of the line-up….go stouter….THICK IS THE NEW THIN!!
This board reminds us all to respect the elders of the tribe. "

Top notch description

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So finally got to ride mine in decent surf. Clean, offshore, chest-overhead lagoon-groomed sandbar. I've also ridden twice in subpar conditions and once at a really tricky hollow reef I'd never surfed before.

Impressions

Super easy to ride from the first wave yet still releases no problem, really stable board.
Feels pretty anemic underarm for whatever reason.
Great paddler, very easy wave catching ability.
Rocker is pretty flat through the center, not sure if I'd call it staged, but this was pretty noticeable for me in all aspects from paddling to surfing as I've never had a board with such a rocker.
Large sweet spot in the front, this can offer up some control as far as ideal back foot placement if you're dropping into a hollow one.
Nice carry through over flat spots.

The KAs were pretty loose, not difficult to surf but not the way I'm used to surfing. Not bad for the smaller side of things though as the board becomes really easy to throw around but in critical situations and powerful thick pitching lips I felt I didn't have a whole lot of control. But like I said, they're not the kind of fins I'm used to. I'm sticking with the Fannings for now - they actually felt quite good and very engaged in the chest high+zone. Initially they felt tracky but I think it was more me adjusting to the rocker and large sweetspot.

No complaints. I'm looking forward to getting to know this one more. Nothing particular stands out about it. It just does what it's supposed to do. Doesn't require any thinking. Gets in early and you can generate plenty of speed right out the gates.

I haven't had to really do any cutbacks though and I'm interested to see how those are going to work out.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
casa moogsies, how did she like the drop at ye olde hollow reef? Knifey on the face and rocker fitting snugly, or kind of flat-feeling and wanting more open face to project about?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
casa moogsies, how did she like the drop at ye olde hollow reef? Knifey on the face and rocker fitting snugly, or kind of flat-feeling and wanting more open face to project about?
No problem because the board gets in nice and early. There was that flat feeling at times, noticeable when trying to squeeze vertical turns into small tight faces and obviously when too late on the drop. But generally once up and running no problem. The board very much enjoyed driving along, banking turns and generating speed off shallow spots in the reef so yes, there was a feeling of wanting to project a bit. I didn't get that projection feeling as much with the KAs and the board generally did not feel as lively.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
No problem because the board gets in nice and early. There was that flat feeling at times, noticeable when trying to squeeze vertical turns into small tight faces and obviously when too late on the drop. But generally once up and running no problem. The board very much enjoyed driving along, banking turns and generating speed off shallow spots in the reef so yes, there was a feeling of wanting to project a bit. I didn't get that projection feeling as much with the KAs and the board generally did not feel as lively.
i didnt know they made a KA and Fanning small fin?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
@Havoc I personally think there would be boards out there that might be better suited for you depending on what your tastes are.

I find the Driver series likes to be surfed hard and aggressively. I dunno, something about the boards make me want to surf them that way. My Pyzels on the other (like the Shadow) tend to be a little bit more cruisy and do more of the work for you.

So unless you're eager to get on the tail and really "drive" the sh!t out of the board I would suggest looking elsewhere. That's not to suggest that it can't be done.

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc