Lost Driver 2.0

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That's a nice looking one, kool-aid. I've only had the squash tailed Phantom. It's a fun board. I didn't click with mine instantly. It took me a while to realize it wasn't much of a groveler, despite the outline and dims. Once I figured out when not to ride it I had many memorable sessions both here at home and down in Baja. Good upper range compared to other similar looking boards like Subdriver, Grinder X, etc. I could see a round tail suiting that board well. There are guys on here who love the Phantom but it wasn't universal. I remember more than a few comments on here about dudes struggling.

I clicked much more easily with my Shadow and now with the Driver 2.0. I think that while the Driver 2.0 is a little more back foot friendly it's still overall a pretty balanced board. I've ridden older Driver's and they felt much more back foot biased. The 2.0 has much easier speed and flow compared to those earlier ones I tried like 4-5 years ago.

I've been riding the 2.0 quite a bit. Haven't really had a bad session on it. Finally got some consistent lefts and it felt great. Like three days in a row on a really fun left rip bowl. The wave had many moods from tight, steep pockets to sluffy walls that would run and then reform into an inside barrel or turn section. Never really thought about the board. It just went, whether it was waist high or overhead. Still on the DHD fins. When it's on the smaller side I've been stepping down to a 6-1 Patterson Stock-ed and that board has felt like a really good compliment for a two boar trusty quiver. The Patterson grovels much better than the Subdriver did for me but still feels like a shortboard. It handles more size than I expected as well, especially with some big, stiff fins like the NVS AM-L's. Is it as good as the legendary Grinder X??

I'll probably do a review on that one soon, just need to get a few more sessions in different waves.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Akura, took mine into seriously small stuff this past weekend and was surprised again.
Found a thigh to waist high dumpy peak and backside it flew. Obviously it wants more surface to turn on but backside you could snap with no thought involved almost. Dat Pivot is nice.

I wasn't even going to paddle out but I made myself after the drive to the beach. Felt like a dork with a 5'9" in some slop but was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah I have been pleasantly surprised by the low end of the 2.0 as well. I still feel like I'd rather have something else in surf around waist high or if it's very mushy but there have been a few times where I took it out and it ended up being smaller than I thought and I still had fun. There have been some instances where all my friends are on their alt shapes like quadfish, hypto, etc. and I'm on the 2.0 doing just fine.

Reactions: Puffy
Jul 5, 2009
Thank you Aruka and Kool-Aid for the response,

now I'm pretty torn between the two haha, but Aruka you still prefer the shadow over Driver 2.0?

It does seem like I am more front foot biased based on the past boards that I liked i.e ghost, fever, baby buggy. but it also looks like the driver 2.0 is more balanced?

I mainly surf the beaches in Newport and Baja slabs around once a month and occasional SC breaks up north. so want something that can hold but still have a somewhat acceptable lower end.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thank you Aruka and Kool-Aid for the response,

now I'm pretty torn between the two haha, but Aruka you still prefer the shadow over Driver 2.0?

It does seem like I am more front foot biased based on the past boards that I liked i.e ghost, fever, baby buggy. but it also looks like the driver 2.0 is more balanced?

I mainly surf the beaches in Newport and Baja slabs around once a month and occasional SC breaks up north. so want something that can hold but still have a somewhat acceptable lower end.
That's a tough one. I really like the Shadow and definitely prefer it to the Phantom but compared to the 2.0 it's pretty close. I think I might have to give the edge to the 2.0. Just for me personally it feels a little more natural. My feet seem to find the sweet spot easier and I think I do a little better in smaller/weaker surf on the Driver vs. the Shadow. I would be happy to take either one as my main board on a surf trip.

Reactions: Puffy

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I think that if you really love the ghost and fever it’s not going to be guaranteed that you’ll like the driver especially if you’re predominantly a front footed surfer. The driver responds much better when you’re on your back foot over the tail surfing it aggressively.

Of the boards you mentioned I happen to think that the phantom makes a really fantastic round tail all arounder. It’s not going to have the top end of the boards you mentioned but it still makes a pretty savage daily driver. Here’s mine in XTR (5’11 x 19.25 x 2.56) and I’ve ridden it in everything from 3 foot OB to pumping OH indo barrels and it’s just super solid.

http://instagr.am/p/BpVC3Mkn-K9/
Holy shitbuckets @kool-aid , that thing's f*cking sick!

The phantom's my favourite "daily driver" (whatever that really means :p ) , and this one of yours gave me a little bit of sex-wee.

Jul 5, 2009
That's a tough one. I really like the Shadow and definitely prefer it to the Phantom but compared to the 2.0 it's pretty close. I think I might have to give the edge to the 2.0. Just for me personally it feels a little more natural. My feet seem to find the sweet spot easier and I think I do a little better in smaller/weaker surf on the Driver vs. the Shadow. I would be happy to take either one as my main board on a surf trip.

Gotcha, thank you because I saw you mentioned you had a little more speed out of it, but that doesn't necessarily means it translates to overall performance as well. :)

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Sounds like I really have to try the Driver 2.0 then.

@Puffy if this is predominantly a good(ish) wave HPSB for you and those are the waves you're planning on riding I would definitely suggest going with the Driver 2.0 over the Phantom and probably even the Shadow.

You can make a Phantom / Shadow work in those kinds of waves but I wouldn't call it ideal. If you expect to be surfing average waves most of the time but need something that can stretch when the waves turn on then I'd keep a Phantom or Shadow in HPSB dims on the table.

Reactions: Puffy and Aruka
Jul 5, 2009
Thank you kool-aid, I think you are right, even though most Californian days are average, I still had fun riding the ghost/ fever a greater chunk of the year.

I also found this video if you guys are interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDg_w_KTVLA..

can definitely tell that had the most front footed approach out of the three, not that I surf like any of these guys, but it was a good reference to watch.

Jul 5, 2009
found one more little gem from a stab in the dark while looking for videos of Driver 2.0 with more front footed surfer if you guys want to nerd out on it aha

Jul 5, 2009
Hey guys!

Quick question for those who have a driver 2.0, do you know if it responds well to adding a little width and thickness?

I'm thinking about ordering my XTR in the BRO dimensions listed on Lost's website which is:
5’9

instead of the standard dimensions of

5’918.632.3225.95

a fairly minor difference, but just want to make sure it's not a board like the ghost that you don't really want to mess with the thickness or width too much :)

Thanks again!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hey guys!

Quick question for those who have a driver 2.0, do you know if it responds well to adding a little width and thickness?

I'm thinking about ordering my XTR in the BRO dimensions listed on Lost's website which is:
5’9

instead of the standard dimensions of

5’918.632.3225.95

a fairly minor difference, but just want to make sure it's not a board like the ghost that you don't really want to mess with the thickness or width too much :)

Thanks again!
The difference between those two dims is pretty minor. I think you're good to go.

Jul 5, 2009
Thank you! Yeah, I'm excited! Fingers crossed on XTR have a miracle and have this Lost board finished faster than usual :O