Lost Baby Buggy Round

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Its crazy how something that is usually just an option is now a different model.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
I'd actually prefer one without channels. I almost bought a baby buggy as my semi HPSB but the only thing that held me back was thinking it would get a bit out of hand overhead. Round tail will probably mean it will go waist to 1.5x overhead easily.

jp30surf

Billy Hamilton status
Aug 20, 2012
Maine
I haven't ridden the Baby Buggy version, but I had a 5'11 Beach Buggy that was MAGIC and the whiplash is an insane good wave board.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I don't get the trend of tweaking grovelers for better waves. Round tail may give it more range but a Beach Buggy or a Pocket Rocket is a better call when the waves turn on. I see way too many guys hindered trying to surf stubby fat boards in decent waves where a HPSB is a way better call.

Jul 17, 2016
jp30surf said:
I haven't ridden the Baby Buggy version, but I had a 5'11 Beach Buggy that was MAGIC and the whiplash is an insane good wave board.
As you know i ride my 5'8 V3 rocket for everything one board quiver set up thruster so this could be a fun twist.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
tedshred said:
I don't get the trend of tweaking grovelers for better waves. Round tail may give it more range but a Beach Buggy or a Pocket Rocket is a better call when the waves turn on. I see way too many guys hindered trying to surf stubby fat boards in decent waves where a HPSB is a way better call.
Agreed however one could argue that this particular board is just a HPSB with a bit more foam for guys that don't shred as much so in this instance it could work well. I don't really get something like a PJRP ... that's strange. I think it would suit the same waves as a step down shortboard would so I don't get the point.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I have a baby buggy and it has a good bit of rocker so I think a round tail would work well as a step up. Its basically a HPSB with full rails and a little wider nose. For me it actually has too much rocker for the waves it's designed for and it feels a little too whippy but for someone who likes that sorta rocker the round tail seems like a home run.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
I ended up buying one of these with the channel bottom round tail for my daily driver. I've had it around 2 months now and have surfed it over a dozen times. Some days it feels great and others not so much. It handles a late drop and paddles pretty well. It is also super fast, maybe even the fastest board I've ever had. The trouble is I can't whip it around like some of my other recent boards, it tends to prefer drivey turns.

I get the feeling I need to change fins around a bit and experiment, especially with the channel bottom. Any suggestions on fins that might make it more whippy/loose? I'm ~80kgs, 6'1 and riding a 5'10 if that helps.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I had the opposite problem with my non-round tail one. I started off with the Mayhem Mediums with a smaller trailer (k2.1 or m3 which are the same fin). It didnt' have enough drive and felt too loose so I went to the FCS II Accelerator template (the ugly Creatures version) and that give it more drive and tightened it up. Not as tall a fin but much wider through base and tip.

So you might want to go the other way toward a fin with a narrower tip and a smaller trailer. Sounds like I might like the channel bottom round tail version.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I had one of these briefly, sweet board. Goes great in the small stuff. Maxes out at HH unless it's real soft and even that's pushing it. Much better in the knee high - shoulder high range. Would probably work though up to 1.5 OH if it were 1/4 narrower.