Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

Jan 10, 2014
I traded in the redux for 96. Finally got a few session on the 96-mostly shite even for my standards. Comparing to the redux the main difference I noticed has been how stable the 96 is. I was riding the redux as a thruster because i was sliding out in punchy stuff as a 2+1. I’ve only ridden the 96 with the same fins-MR 2+1 and have yet to slide. Also I feel like Im getting to the lip a little quicker-could be making that up or could be the extra liter of volume. very responsive and cruises through flat sections really well. super happy with the trade-could be the honeymoon phase but this board is t!ts.
im an average surfer on my best day but I walked away with a couple pics from a really fun session on the gulf this weekend

Attachments

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I traded in the redux for 96. Finally got a few session on the 96-mostly shite even for my standards. Comparing to the redux the main difference I noticed has been how stable the 96 is. I was riding the redux as a thruster because i was sliding out in punchy stuff as a 2+1. I’ve only ridden the 96 with the same fins-MR 2+1 and have yet to slide. Also I feel like Im getting to the lip a little quicker-could be making that up or could be the extra liter of volume. very responsive and cruises through flat sections really well. super happy with the trade-could be the honeymoon phase but this board is t!ts.
im an average surfer on my best day but I walked away with a couple pics from a really fun session on the gulf this weekend
Panhandle or Peninsula?

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Thanks for the comparison.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Looks like perfect waves for the RNF96.

And agree with the sentiment that it doesn't slide or slip. Stable is how I would describe it as well.

Feb 21, 2023
Cheers guys, I need some pro help regarding choosing a construction for a RNF96
The main question right now is Lightspeed or Black Dart?

Option A: I can choose a stock Lightspeed from Catalyst
Option B: Have a custom ordered with them in Black Dart construction.
(It will be around $100 more and 12 weeks of waiting (I have no issue with either) as long as the result is a board that will be more long lasting and will maintain its pop for many years.

I've never surfed a Lightspeed and from doing research in threads I am seeing more negative than positive feedback, on the other hand I surfed a couple of days ago a RNF Retro in Black Dart which is 4 years old and the board was still in great condition, no pressure dings, no repairs, really amazing and had some kind of weird flex while surfing that I kind of enjoy specially on smaller waves. The board came from Drew / Old City Custom Epoxies so I would expect if I custom order the RNF96 that it will also be done by him via Catalyst. Could anyone confirm this?

Anyway I do appreciate any info and secondary, if you have any other suggestion of construction that I should consider, please let me know too.

Pura Vida!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Cheers guys, I need some pro help regarding choosing a construction for a RNF96
The main question right now is Lightspeed or Black Dart?

Option A: I can choose a stock Lightspeed from Catalyst
Option B: Have a custom ordered with them in Black Dart construction.
(It will be around $100 more and 12 weeks of waiting (I have no issue with either) as long as the result is a board that will be more long lasting and will maintain its pop for many years.

I've never surfed a Lightspeed and from doing research in threads I am seeing more negative than positive feedback, on the other hand I surfed a couple of days ago a RNF Retro in Black Dart which is 4 years old and the board was still in great condition, no pressure dings, no repairs, really amazing and had some kind of weird flex while surfing that I kind of enjoy specially on smaller waves. The board came from Drew / Old City Custom Epoxies so I would expect if I custom order the RNF96 that it will also be done by him via Catalyst. Could anyone confirm this?

Anyway I do appreciate any info and secondary, if you have any other suggestion of construction that I should consider, please let me know too.

Pura Vida!
If you order a custom Black Dart it will almost certainly be a Drew/Old City build. You can definitely tell Catalyst that you specifically want a Drew build.

I am not sure if Lightspeed or Black Dart will be longer lasting. Both should be prevented from cooking in the sun/car.

Single most important piece of advice, after not letting the board cook, is DO NOT ORDER A DARK COLORED BLACK DART. I know the dark ones look cool and the Double Dart looks cool and the Black Sheep Built looks cool. All carbon and McLaren F1 looking. Skip that. Focus on fighting the sun so you have a light, strong, good poppy as possible, for as long as possible, surfboard.

My personal opinion is that Carbon Wrap was a bit stiff for the average-sized surfer, and they wanted an in-house fancy EPS build, so Lightspeed was the next construction. I have a Baby Buggy in Carbon Wrap that feels stiffer than a Bean Bag in Lightspeed, and I'd expect the shorter/wider board to feel stiffer than the longer, narrower shape. Personally I like the Carbon Wrap better but I am at the monstrous fatass end of the spectrum, and so 150# rippers probably disagree.

I also really, really like Drew's C4 build. I had one C3 (cork deck) I bought used, and I think it might have been left to cook a little bit, plus I did not jive with the shape, so I give C3 an incomplete. But if you see some Green Go sporting a cork-deck C3 (or any of the Stretch cork EPS builds) or a C4, you might see if they'd be down to let you snag a runner or two on it to decide for yourself - if the board feels too floppy, ask them if it cooked in a car or on the beach. Also keep an eye out for the Corevac build boards. That is another vacuum-bagged EPS build most commonly seen on the Cannibal surfboards out of Central Florida, and they're insanely light, stronger than poly, and have a nice flex to them as well.

I still think the Lightspeed is a good build, and for small stuff, it's better than poly. But if you have to leave this board in your car in the sun, I'd get a poly and deal with the dings, vs laying out a pile of money for a fancy EPS build.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I have RNF 96 lightspeed and have had half dozen Carbon wraps and a few C4s. Never had any Black Dart or dark arts, yet. For Rnf 96 in particular I am really enjoying Lightspeed and over the other two constructions, only I leave it in my car all the time, didn't realise heat was a big issue. Either way I personally would probably go Dart on more of a total grovler as based on videos I see the dark arts/Darts seem to look too light and less good under pros feet in descent waves IMHO. Obviously this is just visual and not a feeling thing...
This is PU v Black sheep I think but Wardo switches around and PU looks better.
https://lostsurfboards.net/55century-episode-2-old-guys-rule/

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I have RNF 96 lightspeed and have had half dozen Carbon wraps and a few C4s. Never had any Black Dart or dark arts, yet. For Rnf 96 in particular I am really enjoying Lightspeed and over the other two constructions, only I leave it in my car all the time, didn't realise heat was a big issue. Either way I personally would probably go Dart on more of a total grovler as based on videos I see the dark arts/Darts seem to look too light and less good under pros feet in descent waves IMHO. Obviously this is just visual and not a feeling thing...
This is PU v Black sheep I think but Wardo switches around and PU looks better.
https://lostsurfboards.net/55century-episode-2-old-guys-rule/
Drew is pretty adamant about keeping his builds out of hot cars, but it might depend where you are. I leave my boards in the car all the time - when they're in the shade with the windows cracked - or if it's not much over 80 with a breeze and I've got sunshields up in the car to deflect the heat. But basically every board I've had has wound up cooking at some point. The Black Dart cooked a little on a road trip to Flagler Beach. The C4 I forgot in my car, windows closed, hot sunny day. The Carbon Wrap has been to Mexico a couple times and I can see some yellowing around the laps after my last trip there.

I am pretty sure early on in Black Dart and lost collaboration, someone won a WQS (or whatever they call it now) on one. I think it might have been the Shteamer's Lane contest.

I also agree about the small wave bias for these builds.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Drew is pretty adamant about keeping his builds out of hot cars, but it might depend where you are. I leave my boards in the car all the time - when they're in the shade with the windows cracked - or if it's not much over 80 with a breeze and I've got sunshields up in the car to deflect the heat. But basically every board I've had has wound up cooking at some point. The Black Dart cooked a little on a road trip to Flagler Beach. The C4 I forgot in my car, windows closed, hot sunny day. The Carbon Wrap has been to Mexico a couple times and I can see some yellowing around the laps after my last trip there.

I am pretty sure early on in Black Dart and lost collaboration, someone won a WQS (or whatever they call it now) on one. I think it might have been the Shteamer's Lane contest.

I also agree about the small wave bias for these builds.
Makes good sense for sure and particularly with the full carbon builds. I live SF Bay so usually not that hot but from time to time I forget to crack the windows and hop into my car smelling like a glass factory and sweat what unseen harm I may have just put my little friends through. I actually ordered a varial one but they screwed it up and it came just regular. Still kinda itching to try one. I wonder how Varials hold up vs the EPS.

Reactions: Fernando_costarica

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
If you like varial foam and believe the following description, Varial maybe the better carbon choice for various reasons...

From Varial site:

VARIAL CARBON WRAP PROS + / CONS - (tl:dr)

PROS

+Looks damn good
+Stronger/Lighter
+Blunt Impact/Pressure Resistance
+Buckle/Break Resistance
+Longer lifespan
+Epoxy glassing click here to read about the benefits.
+No corky EPS feel
+Minimal chatter with larger waves/higher speeds
+No delaminations
+Easier ding repairs
+Heat/Sun resistant

CONS
-More expensive
-Does not increase protection against sharp objects
-Stiffer flex rides differently

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
What’s the consensus on whether blanks twist if they sit unglassed too long. I’d love a rnf96 refresh with tweaks but you know whether it’s Varial or xtr, they cut the blank and then Lost sits on it for 2.5 months. Storing it god knows how and where

Reactions: JDJ

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
What’s the consensus on whether blanks twist if they sit unglassed too long. I’d love a rnf96 refresh with tweaks but you know whether it’s Varial or xtr, they cut the blank and then Lost sits on it for 2.5 months. Storing it god knows how and where
I heard somewhere (probably on here) that Varial uses a rocker bed when vaccum bagging their infused glass boards for rocker consistency.

XTR's practices are more like a standard glass shop.