Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

Mar 15, 2022
At 49 foam is your friend IMO. My buddy is almost your dims and same age and is ripping on 5'10". That said we are in 5 mills boots and gloves 24/7. May want to look at 5'9". If you cant turn that you need to be doing squats and leg presses. :p
Yeah, I agree foam is my friend. I spent a little over 10 years riding only longboards and started riding shortboards again a couple years ago. Kinda makes me feel like a kid. Looks like your in the PNW. I spent 7 years up there so I know the drill with the 5mm suits, hoods, gloves and booties.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I was ready to pull the trigger on a 5'10 RNF 96 with stock dims. After reading this whole thread I am having second thoughts. I'm 5'9, 170 pounds and almost 49 yo. I surf mostly beach breaks between Del Mar and Oceanside. I like a little extra foam but that 5'10 may be a little much. Seems like people are riding these pretty short. Has anyone here oversized their RNF 96? If so how did it work out?
I'm 5'10 pushing 190lbs, 37 y/o, mediocre paddler, surf a lot around the same zone of Del Mar. I've been riding a stock 5'8 almost exclusively, love the board, but it's starting to feel a bit thin to me on long paddles, and could definitely see myself sizing up to a 5'9 or getting a custom 5'8 with more thickness.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Biolos signatures but no made in California lam? My buddy's custom light speed has Biolos's signature but no made in California. Other than like a couple, the vast majority of mine (the poly ones) have had no signature and have had the made in California.

That looks like an instagram screenshot maybe the thruster placement is on purpose.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
My mate just sent me these pics from a trip we did back in October. Riding a 5'7 rnf 96 which felt a bit small so has since been upgraded to a 5'8 (6'2 about 195). Board is set up with BMTs.
PS hard to post any footage after Racer Ho set the bar so high

PSX_20230105_222736.jpg
PSX_20230105_222713.jpgPSX_20230105_222801.jpgPSX_20230105_222724.jpg

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Just picked up the 96, selling the redux tomorrow. Besides the difference in pulled in tail, I notice the concave in the tail area is very different. And looking at them side by side it seems redux is meant to be a thruster. Should be getting the 96 in the water this weekend
Please update on the differences in performance vs. fish qualities of 96 RNF vs. Redux. I have a RNF Redux and I like as twin with trailer and thruster. I like the elevated wing of the RNF. Curious on the difference of the wingless and more narrow tail of the 96.
Thanks.

Reactions: tcureton

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Came across this clip of Geislman on one in some junky waves, board looks like it works really well. One thing I don't get tho is why pro surfers use a thruster set up. I've seen other clips from Lost and from what I can tell a lot of pro's go thruster. Any Insights?

There were a few “junky” waves in there, but many I would say looked like the epitome of fun.

I think a lot of those guys are doing the QS or Challenger Series and since they’re riding thrusters in comps, they want to keep things consistent and not have to deal with too much adjustment/feel if riding twins or 2+1’s.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Came across this clip of Geislman on one in some junky waves, board looks like it works really well. One thing I don't get tho is why pro surfers use a thruster set up. I've seen other clips from Lost and from what I can tell a lot of pro's go thruster. Any Insights?

From what I can tell a fair amount of pros don't know sh!t about boards/fins. Brett Barley's Potato Launcher review was fucking comical. AJW designed it as a quad, no thruster box on purpose, then Barley got quad fins wrong for it - and still got a great tube. And he comes across as an honors student on the pro surfer curve.

Regarding the surf, November is our best month and that's pretty good for Florida. Lots of the first minute and probably some of the rest was New Smyrna and that can be a pretty skateparky spot even when it's thigh high. Readable chip-in bowls. The other spot(s) looked like Northern/Central Brevard or maaaybe Flagler, and when it's not knee high and not closing out it is likewise pretty fun.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I’m hoping the Cali Twin Pin gets good feedback. Not that the RNF96 can’t handle juice, but sometimes a little longer tail is nice at the same volume. 5’6 rnf96, 5’8 cali twin pin would be a nice lil 1-2 punch?!