Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
All this talk I'm tempted to pick one up. I had several in the late 90s/early 2000s that I rode quite a bit and loved.

My memory is that were great from about waist high with some push to head high and a bit but as it got bigger/faster, you ended up with too much water under the nose and feeling a little out of control.

But there are other boards for those conditions.

Reactions: JDJ and Havoc

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
had an rnf3 that was epic. ya needed waist high and some push to get working but the range on it was insane. everybody trying to make those twinsmans work when the rnf is a trusted design.

anyone have any luck riding these a bit longer? recall rnf3 had more foam forward.

also, i had a shapers night rnf 5 that was epic. wish i never sold that one. magic mayhems

Reactions: JDJ and Aruka

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Really really enjoying it. It might be a fish in terms of dimensions, but it surfs like a HPSB once you get on that rail/tail rocker.

Going to order a smaller one, just not sure on dimensions - need to go feel up some stock ones in a store.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
13D13FFF-9092-41AD-9216-A9A562770206.png
I tried to tell you guyz months ago!

In a moment of weakness I bought a Black Sheep Carbon. Can’t say it’s the best version of the board. I have a 5’7 31L PU rnf96 that was my lowest volume board. The Black Sheep version is 5’6 and 29.5L and I swear it feels like it floats more than the 31L. Really sits on top of the water.

if you ride short boards and the RNF is a pure groveler, the carbon version is fun and poppy in sub 4ft surf.

if you want the RNF as an everyday, all conditions board stick with the PU

*my PU RNF is my only non EPS board. So I’m not an eps hater
* ive never had a dark arts or Varial carbon so no comparison

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
View attachment 135180

In a moment of weakness I bought a Black Sheep Carbon. Can’t say it’s the best version of the board. I have a 5’7 31L PU rnf96 that was my lowest volume board. The Black Sheep version is 5’6 and 29.5L and I swear it feels like it floats more than the 31L. Really sits on top of the water.

if you ride short boards and the RNF is a pure groveler, the carbon version is fun and poppy in sub 4ft surf.

dude we need to talk about your notifications

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
View attachment 135180

@spjones123 - Can the RNF 96 be ridden a little oversized or is it best to be ridden as short as possible? There's one at my local shop that I've been eyeing but its a little bigger than I would normally go but not super oversized. Thanks!

Reactions: MrSteve

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
View attachment 135180

how do u have 434 notifications??

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and JDJ

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
View attachment 135180

ok
so how do you size these damn things??? a little over standard shortboard volume/sort of?? I supposed...

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Get it as small as you can?

Mines a 5'4" 19.25 around 27 liters
I usually ride around 24
I'd like to go 5'3" or 5'4" and 19, just a hair thinner.
Keep in mind I have the redux w the wings and thruster placement

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Can someone give a comparison of the RNF96 vs. the RNF Redux? I have a 5'8 RNF Redux in Black Dart with front fins set at 10.25" and center box at 3.25" and it is high performance twin. Can anyone parse the distinction in feel? I know the tail at 12" is narrower and there is no wing, but can anyone give a driver's perspective? Here's a photo of the fin set up I am running in it for comparison. IMG_3068.JPG