Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Holy sht. A mayhem at 2.60 sounds like a boat.
I always felt lost’s boards have more volume than whats written on those descriptions.
Like for example a vol.30 @ stretch feels less than a 30 vol. Lost.

Was your board made in hawaii?
Mine was made in San Clemente, shipped to Hawaii. It's a stock 5'9 and at 2.55" thicc it doesn't feel thicc at all. I might even go up to 2.65" or 2.7"

I am 6'1 x 195" and ride a lot of 2.6", 2.75" and even a 3"

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’ve ridden both about 30-50+ times each and RNF is better. More consistent, better low end and gets up to speed faster. In good, steep waves with a nice pocket, Twinsman has more spice and spark though. But I’d ride my shortboard in that any way.
So, What’s your shortboar these days?

Reactions: j_mac and JDJ

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I’ve ridden both about 30-50+ times each and RNF is better. More consistent, better low end and gets up to speed faster. In good, steep waves with a nice pocket, Twinsman has more spice and spark though. But I’d ride my shortboard in that any way.
Interesting...I believe this is related to the foam distribution with the Twinsman. As of recently, I have a few similar RT shapes boards from Album. In doing back to back surfs over a number of surf sessions, I inherently surf them differently. I tend to the surf the Twinsman/Sterlana more flat. I surf the Bullet Twin/Modtwin with their dome deck and reduced foam distribution toward the rail, I get boards on rail easier/sooner and generate more speed. My surfing is both smoother and more aggressive on the Bullet Twin/Modtwin. My surfing is so much better on the Bullet Twin/Modtwin - it is more vertical, more turns, more aggressive in the pocket. I am more of passenger on the Twinsman/Sterlana and I don't push it as hard, even after surfing the Bullet Twin. The extra volume of Sterlana/Twinsman makes paddling and wave catching easier. Note I am not heavy footed/legged surfer, and I feel I need to be on the Twinsman/Sterlana. I have skinnier versions of the Sterlana/Twinsman and they are more nimble, but prefer them in a more open face.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Never ridden a twinsman specifically, but ride lots of twins along with hpsbs. RNF96 seems like the easiest alternative board to ride for someone who mostly rides hpsbs. The feel is closer to a shortboard than a traditional twin fin. Twinsman looks like a twin and from videos appears to ride like one.

Reactions: j_mac

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Never ridden a twinsman specifically, but ride lots of twins along with hpsbs. RNF96 seems like the easiest alternative board to ride for someone who mostly rides hpsbs. The feel is closer to a shortboard than a traditional twin fin. Twinsman looks like a twin and from videos appears to ride like one.
The Twinsman (at least the swallow version) rides surprisingly like a HPSB in my opinion. I recently sold my Varial one for two main reasons: the bort needed size or a decent amount of push to be fun and I didn’t like the feel of the rails. I’d grab it for a surf and the underarm stock factor was never there.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Twinsman on softer reefs, I definitely surf it like a fish, hucking the hips and high lining to build speed on takeoff.

the major difference from a fish for me is once I have that speed I can change to hp mode and jam the board into the pocket for quick hits.

NCSD reefs are about wave cadence and knowing the bowls, imo, and the twinsman performs great for me.

havebt rnf96’d but it’s definitely on the list.

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
good to hear. I grabbed a cheap 5'11 Punksanity which is meant to be a slightly stubbier Insanity. Feels really good under arm and can't wait to give it a go
Cool! Looking forward to your thoughts.

It does seem like the current winged-versions of the Insanity are more in line with Punksanity. My winged-insanity maintains a fuller outline through the rear of the board, where the standard Insanity supports a narrower rear outline that leads to a pulled in swallow tail. In addition, mine has lower entry rocker and a tad lower exit rocker. It is a fun small wave performance board. I thought it was just associated with mine as dedicated twin plus trailer, but the other winged Insanity on the website look very similar.

Reactions: sdsrfr

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I really like my insanity (stock 5’11). can grovel with it if needed but can also do every turn possible. low entry for good paddling and easy speed, all business in the tail. I ride with stretch quads.