Looks like I'm moving to Orange County.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
New job is near the Los Alamitos base. Thinking of living right on the beach in Huntington. I need a combination of surf, or at least no-drive ocean access, and enough nightlife to stay sane. Any other options you all would recommend? If anyone has an apartment for rent that meets the criteria, let me know.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
With where you're working HB is going to be perfect for the two things you want. Newport would work too, but that could be up to a 45 minute drive up PCH to get to work. Look in the numbered streets of HB and you'll be close to downtown and surf

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Yes, living in HB is a good call, and probably checks all of the boxes you mentioned. Going more south might be too much of a commute.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Looking at Craigslist ads right now. Jesus, how do people afford to live in Newport Beach? Of the three houses for rent on the Peninsula, one is falling apart, one is $6500/month, and the other is 22.5k/month.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
8 people share a 3 bedroom
Mega rich
Have lived there 40 plus years ( especially in the shores area )
Or I have no idea

You might want to look at the appt. Around Hamilton and brookhurst . short uber to HB , CM , or Newport for night life and 5 min bike ride to surf Retodds secret sandbar #1

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
When I say close to the ocean, I mean I want to be able to see it from my bedroom window and lazily walk over there to jump in every morning. No drive, no cams, no preparation. From what I can see for rent I can afford to live that way in HB, but like you said, ringer, Newport is another world.

Retodd, we will be in touch about secret sandbars. I will pay for the information in your choice of intoxicant.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
When I say close to the ocean, I mean I want to be able to see it from my bedroom window and lazily walk over there to jump in every morning. No drive, no cams, no preparation. From what I can see for rent I can afford to live that way in HB, but like you said, ringer, Newport is another world.

Retodd, we will be in touch about secret sandbars. I will pay for the information in your choice of intoxicant.
Dont we all

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:

You can have it all to yourself any time it rains. :barf:

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
20W has a place walking distance to the pier in HB; cannot recall exactly what he's paying but it didn't sound too bad when he mentioned it.

maybe he'll rent you his couch and you can enjoy a steel reserve bender for the length of your tenancy.

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
Go into seal beach with a bicycle. Ride up and down all of the streets in old town looking "for rent" signs. Reasonable rents if you look.