Looking for San Diego daily driver recommendations

Nov 10, 2012
South SD, CA
Been a long time since I posted or visited this forum, but I'm back to ask for the latest collective wisdom.

TL;DR = What would be a good replacement daily driver for a CI New Flyer for an all around San Diego board for most conditions?

I'm an intermediate surfer and mostly surf Del Mar, Scripps and Blacks. Occasionally Pipes/Cardiff.

I currently ride a 6'2" stock dimension CI New Flyer, and absolutely love this board for pretty much any of the breaks I listed at anywhere from 3-8 feet. I also have a 6'1" Gary Hanel fish that is absolute magic on the North County reefs.

Thing is, I've had the New Flyer for about 5 years now, and the glassing is quite crap, so it dings quite easily and is very much showing its age and may not last much longer.
I'm looking for something similar, and am considering either a custom order of a New Flyer in the same dimensions (since none of the surf shops seem to have it in stock), but also considering local shapes like the Sharp Eye Disco, Rusty SD, etc. Any recommendations?

Specifically, I want something all around, that could handle slopey, mushy North County waves, and yet still be okay at 8 foot Blacks, something with comparatively low entry rocker for built in speed. I would need it to work from about waist/chest high to well overhead, doesn't have to be a stellar groveler, as I usually don't surf when it's small/gutless, or I take a log.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sounds more like you want a SD good waves board.

If you want a daily driver, Xanadu Xank would be good for SD.

A board that's good for slopey, mushy North County waves that is "OK" at 8 foot Blacks?

If the waves are 8 feet at Blacks I'm anticipating there will be much larger sets. This means I'm not hanging around inside seeking out the waves I'll be "OK" on because I'm not a masochist.

In other words, you're asking too much.

Reactions: scythemk
Nov 10, 2012
South SD, CA
Haha, let me clarify, I meant days where the sets are hitting 8' at Blacks. I had no problem at all on those days with the Flyer.
It goes great at rolling, mushy Del Mar (at waist and above), and yet handles the steepness of Blacks/Scripps/Oceanside at well overhead and just does great all around.
Something of that nature.
Naturally, I can just get the same board, but just curious as to what else would fit into that category.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
San Diego really only requires a grovel board. Waves here are not steep enough 99% of the time for a standard shortboard.

go for a high volume CI og flyer with a swallow tail and 5 fin set up. The very original flyer was one of the best boards going ever.

the flyer with a swallow tail works in all conditions up to double overhead. Surfing 8ft blacks is a different beast and I would never use a daily driver in overhead waves there. I would want volume and length to outrun huge canyon sets.

with the current crowd situation all I care about is getting in early. Crowds have been next level insane to the point of nearly ruining surfing here for me. That says a lot coming from someone who is not even fazed by the crowds at snapper rocks

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
my buddy surfs Blacks all the time, and most days he's on an OG Flyer. When it's bigger he steps up to a Ghost.
A Pyzel Shadow or Phantom might fit the bill too.

I had a Rusty SD and liked it a lot, worked great at HH-OH Del Mar, but I think the tail block is a tad too wide for Blacks.

Check Clairemont Surf, they might have some OG Flyers or Shadows off the rack

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Can’t believe no one has said Fling.
My buddy swears by his, and rarely finds himself out of its element. Still, some swells at the beachbreaks come in differently where we've had 3-4+ that he loves the Fling, and 3-4+ where he felt he wanted to be on another board.

I'm not a very good surfer, but think the ...Lost Puddle Jumper HP works really well in most of the stuff San Diego sees... when it gets bigger / faster, even under head high, I start to question it though. Probably just 'user error'.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
TL;DR = What would be a good replacement daily driver for a CI New Flyer for an all around San Diego board for most conditions?

Thing is, I've had the New Flyer for about 5 years now, and the glassing is quite crap, so it dings quite easily and is very much showing its age and may not last much longer.
I'm looking for something similar, and am considering either a custom order of a New Flyer in the same dimensions (since none of the surf shops seem to have it in stock),
Custom New Flyer in Spine Tek?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I got a XTR Pyzel Shadow that I like in that 3ft-8ft range. I had them make it a little wider/thicker than stock dims before the Shadow XL later came online. I think the added width/thickness gives it a little extra on the softer days down here and works well up to a little overhead I would say.