Looking for a camera-surfing injury downtime

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Thanks for all the suggestions. The Sony A6000 seems like the ticket for me. I'm not afraid of a used camera, but maybe I should be. I'll check out KEH. Thanks

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I was thinking of a new mirrorless body I can take backpacking where
weight is a consideration.

I would like to stay Canon given I already have some lenses

what body should I be looking at in the 4 digit range?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Panasonic Lumix FZ80 4K Digital Camera, 18.1 Megapixel Video Camera, 60X Zoom DC VARIO 20-1200mm Lens, F2.8-5.9 Aperture, Power O.I.S. Stabilization, Touch Enabled 3-Inch LCD, Wi-Fi, DC-FZ80K (Black)

Looked at this on Amazon
Different bundles available, extra battery, cleaning kit, etc
Grab and Go camera for the amatuer
Thanks Joe!

Reactions: Belchfire1

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
sh!t, are you saying that the lenses are also body-specific?

like specific lenses for mirror-less bodies?
Yes. My Canon DSLR uses EOS EF mount lenses while Canon's Mirrorless bodies use RF mount lenses. There is also a Canon M-mount as well. There is an adapter so my EOS EF DSLR lenses will fit the new Canon mirrorless cameras. They had to do that because so many people have the EF lenses. I think Nikon does the same thing.

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I was thinking of a new mirrorless body I can take backpacking where
weight is a consideration.

I would like to stay Canon given I already have some lenses

what body should I be looking at in the 4 digit range?

Bro. Go Fujifilm. Seriously.

I've been thru every camera system on earth. Nikon -> Canon -> Sony -> Leica -> Fuji <-

You'd have to ditch your Canon lenses if you go mirrorless anyway so might as well switch.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
sh!t, are you saying that the lenses are also body-specific?

like specific lenses for mirror-less bodies?
Yes.

They are not really different lenses, just a different length flange focal distance.

Mirrorless camera sensor plane is closer to the back element of the lens than the mirrored cameras.
DSLRs need that space to accommodate the mirror and optical view finder.

Hence the need for the adapter, which is really doing nothing other than extending the flange focal distance so the lens can work on mirrorless.

Unfortunately that kind of kills the compactness of the mirrorless camera because even a pancake lens has to be like an inch away from the sensor.

If you're not worried about auto-focus performance (speed) adapters can work if you don't mind the bulkiness.

1602616229770.png

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Bro. Go Fujifilm. Seriously.

I've been thru every camera system on earth. Nikon -> Canon -> Sony -> Leica -> Fuji <-

You'd have to ditch your Canon lenses if you go mirrorless anyway so might as well switch.
this is one of the few things i’d trust fecal
on. will have to check these out...

the last film camera i had was a contax
point and shoot. i was gonna buy a leica,
but one of my photog friends told me to go
with the cntx - “hey man, this is what sante
d’orazio uses!...”

eventually sold it...:socrazy:

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
this is one of the few things i’d trust fecal
on. will have to check these out...

the last film camera i had was a contax
point and shoot. i was gonna buy a leica,
but one of my photog friends told me to go
with the cntx - “hey man, this is what sante
d’orazio uses!...”

eventually sold it...:socrazy:
:roflmao:

If you liked the Contax, you'll love Fuji.

The genius of Fuji is their rangefinder cameras, they all have both optical and electronic viewfinder, which if you are Bruce Gilden :poop: style inclined, is an indispensable tool for shooting quickly.
I ignored Fuji for years because they've never had a full frame camera, until I picked up the X100F because I needed a compact point and shoot with a fixed lens and holy crap.

And there's no menu diving, all settings are controlled by REAL ANALOG METAL knobs. :jamon:
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.27.41 PM.png

1602617173846.png

Last edited:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
those look sweet!

yeah, the contax was pretty cool - all black, that was the deciding factor at the time...:roflmao:

my buddy actually lent me his to use when i was going over to france one time - worked great but it was a very pale coppery metallic,
didn’t really go with my prada bag...

plus, sante got a lot of babes!.. :roflmao:
deal done.

my friend is a studio guy, but i remember
him lugging a couple of big contax
rangefinders around the city back then...:socrazy:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
i'm really weirded out by used camera equipment ... one step away from used underwear or socks... but i'm going to check this out. i have not heard of KEH

the trick with used underwear is, it’s o.k
it it’s girls’. socks are usually too small,
and stockings are verboten...

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Had an injury and figured I may as well get a camera to take some pics of my friends and family. Surfing shots primarily. Auto focus, ease of uploading pics, wifi capable, stuff like that.
Any recommendations? Looking to stay under $500 $600

Thanks
when i was out with back surgery about 15 years ago, i briefly entertained the idea of making some money by taking surf pics of whomever was out and then handing them a card when they came out of the water, offering to sell them the pics of themselves surfing for a buck or three. i never put it together but now in the age of cash apps, it would be a lot easier to make a quick deal and collect. figured it would be an easy sale coz surfers, then and now, drool at the prospect of decent pics of themselves surfing. never got around to figuring out if it was a viable biz model.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
:roflmao:

If you liked the Contax, you'll love Fuji.

The genius of Fuji is their rangefinder cameras, they all have both optical and electronic viewfinder, which if you are Bruce Gilden :poop: style inclined, is an indispensable tool for shooting quickly.
I ignored Fuji for years because they've never had a full frame camera, until I picked up the X100F because I needed a compact point and shoot with a fixed lens and holy crap.

And there's no menu diving, all settings are controlled by REAL ANALOG METAL knobs. :jamon:
View attachment 99223

View attachment 99222
OMG I just got boaner from the dials

I hate that part of the Canon, especially when dorking around with long exposures

what's the word on the T3 and T4?

Last edited:

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
when i was out with back surgery about 15 years ago, i briefly entertained the idea of making some money by taking surf pics of whomever was out and then handing them a card when they came out of the water, offering to sell them the pics of themselves surfing for a buck or three. i never put it together but now in the age of cash apps, it would be a lot easier to make a quick deal and collect. figured it would be an easy sale coz surfers, then and now, drool at the prospect of decent pics of themselves surfing. never got around to figuring out if it was a viable biz model.
HAHAHAHA, I was thinking the same thing. I'm too lazy for that, but it would be an easy way to justify the purchase. The hamster in my head is running on the wheel as I type this. haha

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
B&H has the T3 body is under a g....T4 seems mostly video focused

the 16-80mm lens looks like a good daily driver

I run the canon 15-85 on my 7D for 80% of what I do