Longer Groveler

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Sold my Bottom Feeder a year or two ago because I was kinda over the feeling of a wide, short, slabby groveler. But I'm sort of in the mood for something similar but a little more drawn out and less slabby. My BF was 5'5 x 20.5 x 2.38 or something like that, about 30 liters. Worked great in small surf and up to chest high if it was soft.

Wanted something with similar volume but just pulled out a few inches. Had a Fling briefly too and that had that same slabby sort of feel. Don't have any desire for a standard HPSB, but just something a little longer that still has that glide.

Any suggestions? Something from a big board manufacturer, not doing custom and have no local shapers just want to grab something off the rack or used. Maybe DHD Phoenix or Hayden Loot sorta thing.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
JS Psycho Nitro is a really fun groveler without as much of that slabby feel. It's not going to glide like a Fling or BF but if you surf it actively it will fly in small surf. Rocker is very low but whatever is going on with the bottom contours has it feeling like a HPSB for small mush. Loot is a bit different and doesn't actually feel like as much of a groveler as the PN. The PN has a lot of concave and less, if any vee out the tail so when you push against it, it springs up the face. The Loot is more of a settled ride that relies on the wider nose to glide in early. It has a fuller foil and wider nose but the tail is fairly pulled in and there is a bit of vee behind the rear fin so it has less of a sparky feel. That more subdued feeling combined with the easy paddling means it handles steeper waves a bit better and is a good board for those days where it's not quite good enough for a short board but it's not exactly tiny grovel surf. In super small, mushy waves it doesn't feel especially sparky but it will hang in there until a steep section presents itself.

Phoenix looks neat, you should get one and let us know how it goes.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Thanks Aruka. Great info.

Will add the Psycho Nitro to the list.

My local waves are kinda steep beach break so the Loot might work as well. They used to be sorta mushy when small (around the era when I had my BF) but a big Army Corps project a few years ago made it so even when it's small it tends to be steeper. More of a quick get up and race down the line kinda wave.

Very curious about the Phoenix. I had a magic DHD Project 15 about 10 years ago so I've got a soft spot for his boards. Phoenix looks like a similar tail with a wider nose which I bet would work well. His rocker and bottoms work for me.

Last edited:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I thought the DHD Phoenix always looked fun. Don't know anybody who has ridden one. Similar looking to my Pyzel Gremlin which I really like in small surf. Astropop, CI Neckbeard 2, CI Rocket wide probably falls into this category also and can usually be found easily off rack.

Reactions: Aruka

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005

I've been using a 6'0 as a groveler. Been fun to go from a short stubby board to something that glides into small waves easier. But obviously less performance/more cruise once you're up vs other boards mentioned.

Reactions: Aruka and trifish

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'd go Pyzel Gremlin or Astro Pop. Nose rocker on Pyzel's "grovelers" looks like they have a little more flip which could be good for steep little beach break.

JS or DHD would probably go good too. Aussie and HI shapers' grovelers always look and feel like they will be tuned better for steeper small surf than mushy CA small surf.

Last edited:
Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Not sure how it goes but I kind of think the Lost Party Crasher looks fun.

Also not sure where you surf but I'm a big fan of the rad ripper and it can definitely work as a grovelor.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
That Chilly looks very fun.

Been riding my egg in place of my groveler so that sorta works. Looks like that would be fun set up as a twin.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Been kinda thinking one of those thumb tail twins would be fun around 6’.

also agree that if you want to play it safe on a longer groveler, go with an egg.

i have a 6’10 egg that has proven to be fun in crappy surf. Kind of want another one at 6’0 but am worried I’ll never ride a HPSB again.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

also agree that if you want to play it safe on a longer groveler, go with an egg.

i have a 6’10 egg that has proven to be fun in crappy surf. Kind of want another one at 6’0 but am worried I’ll never ride a HPSB again.
single fin or 2+1?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Not a long (or any sort of) fish fan.

I have a 7'0 copy of a Takayama Howard Mini that I love, but it's actually a better board for bigger surf.

I'm always curious how short you can go before you loose the essential glide of an egg.

That Chilly looks like a good test case. Would love to cross the Mid Strength with the Fire Chief.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks Aruka. Great info.

Will add the Psycho Nitro to the list.

My local waves are kinda steep beach break so the Loot might work as well. They used to be sorta mushy when small (around the era when I had my BF) but a big Army Corps project a few years ago made it so even when it's small it tends to be steeper. More of a quick get up and race down the line kinda wave.

Very curious about the Phoenix. I had a magic DHD Project 15 about 10 years ago so I've got a soft spot for his boards. Phoenix looks like a similar tail with a wider nose which I bet would work well. His rocker and bottoms work for me.
If you have a surfline membership, they currently have a $100 off coupon for JS surfboards.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm always curious how short you can go before you loose the essential glide of an egg.
when I was feeling up a 6’2, 6’10 and 7’0 of the same design, I ended up with the 6’10 thinking the same thing.

2yrs later, I also want a ~6’0 of my 6’10.

I think it depends on how much of a short boarder you actually are and how bad of conditions you will try to use it in.

for reference I’m 6’1 and my fish is 5’6, my DD short board is 5’10.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Same. I won't get a 6' egg because I fear its the perfect SD board that could be ridden 90% of the time. I can go there in a few years- I think a thruster egg at that size is almost cheating, I'd probably go quad or even twin + training wheel just to keep it a little bit different. Trying to convince my nephew to get 6' egg as his first real board- super practical, but I don't think it looks cool enough to him. Gonna have him try my Gremlin and minsim quad and see what he thinks.
I have a little CC 5'6 x 21” x 2.5” eggish roundtail quad double-ender thing that is a blast: works in tiny waves and punchier up to chest high. The deck is golf-balled and once it's dead, I'll definitely order something similar from CC or Mitsven.
Anyway, for @rgruber - I vote Gremlin or Astropop. I haven't ridden either much, but IMO... Gremlin better groveler, AP better for small punchy waves.

Last edited:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City

You will have no friends tho
That board brings back memories from like 15 years back in CR. Was traveling mostly for family stuff with no gear and was in an area where I could only get my hands on an oversized CI Biscuit that obviously had been snapped /fixed and a banana yellow 7S Superfish that the fins would constantly pop out of. Felt like what nightmares are made of. Think only my ankles was in the water when sitting.

Reactions: MathDebater