Longboard Speed Shape

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
that does look perfect. 2+1 fin system is good. not sure if single is better or not

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I'm not quite that naive :)

It's not even that I want THAT board. More curious what people think of that type of shape.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i've never ridden anything quite like it to be honest.

just looking at it and reading the description it sounds like something that would be suited to a lineup with a large playing field. chasing far shore peaks or taking off deep on a reef or point.

it doesn't appear to be designed for tiny waves.

for me i would be concerned that it would need a real wave and i would find myself wanting to ride something more shreddy. but that's just me.

Reactions: MathDebater

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Have a log for small waves, but I'm not into either noseriding or 'performance longboarding' so looking for something different. Something fast that can trim but also glide out on the flats. Knee to HH+

This looks perfect to me. What say you?

Have a look at Sunova 8ball. I run mine with a set of twins in front with bonzer side runners (small ones) in the rear quad plugs. Has enough rocker that it can be used in beachbreaks as well as points but is so fast across an open face and because its light weight and made with eps/balsa and refined rails its really lively to surf. Does what you're describing above. Construction quality is top notch.
Recently picked up a 9'1" in a "speed shape" outline in paulownia/cork shaped by a local shop that has a flatter rocker. Posted pics of it in the glider thread. Not as lively to ride. First surf at Noosa during the last swell. Sat wide and waited for the bigger ones and comparing it to my 8 ball which I had ridden the previous day it was a fun section connector. Did dig the nose in after cutdowns where the nose would dig in down at the bottom of the wave due to its extra length and flatter rocker compared to the 8ball. Just something I had to adjust my surfing to avoid. While I dig the new speed shape it doesn't have anywhere near the versatility of the 8ball. Worth a look as some of its design elements could be good to incorporate into a custom order if you go with a Keyo to increase its range of use.

Attachments

Reactions: Maz

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
As GG is out shilling for his shapes, I will be no less!

If you are looking for speed, my Kraken model is what you want. 1" nose rocker and 1" tail rocker twin fin. The shape can be customized to look more or less like a cock, all to your preferences.

1618751715971.png

Here you can see the board in action, during my feud with GWS ( I won).

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Have a log for small waves, but I'm not into either noseriding or 'performance longboarding' so looking for something different. Something fast that can trim but also glide out on the flats. Knee to HH+

This looks perfect to me. What say you?

I ride that size boar. I'd ride it. Seems pricey for a clear though.
Tail width is good for a single. If you go multifin I'd suggest 14.25 tail width.
I'm not crazy about the 9mm stringer, may make it too stiff feeling.
All in all, looks like a very fun boar, with a large range of waves it can handle.