Longboard contests?

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
https://www.surfer.com/features/mexi-log-fest-recap/

Mexi-"log-fest" and the first thing I would think of is Beavis and Butthead snickering. Is it because there is no legit long board tour that these social media driven one off events happen? The guys side was won by an 18 y.o. that no one probably has never heard of outside of Hawaii since a lot of the talent that was invited were not interested and the Womens side had world champ honolua blomfield compete. To increase the field they invited riders with IG profiles. Not to discount them, but they could never qualify for a WSL event.
Then there is the surf-relik. Some top notch riders attend that one and if you are not directly invited you can submit a clip on IG, and some of these entries have the balls to think that they can go against riders like Andy Nieblas.
Lastly there is the duct-tape and it is only because Joel Tudor and vans have their name on it that more pros enter.

What these riders are doing is so old, it is not progressive. CJ Nelson even made that point in an interview, why do you even want to ride a board with a template from the 50s, which is so not progressive, maybe because it looks good on Instagram.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Because it's REALLY fun, and(depending on where you live) gives you the opportunity to surf more often. Headed back to La Saladita next week. Best spot EVER for a goofy-foot longboarder.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC

What these riders are doing is so old, it is not progressive.
In the last 20-30 years there hasn't been much progress in surfing period
Except I like watching Dane surf, everyone else is copy & paste
By a long mile Ryan Burch, Knost & the twin fin guys are more watchable

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Well C.J. is an expert. Professional surfer too. AND an ex of JAH. So, yeah.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
tenover said:
Because it's REALLY fun, and(depending on where you live) gives you the opportunity to surf more often. Headed back to La Saladita next week. Best spot EVER for a goofy-foot longboarder.
I've owned longboards for decades. I don't ride them often but when I do, it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face. I've been surfing for 41 years now and I still ride shortboards, fish, midlengths and longboards. I've realized recently that I most certainly don't give a F^cK what other people have decided is the only way to surf. However, I still get a little self conscious about wearing my surf cap. :shrug:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
We have some friends that went down to that log-fest. Saw a ton of video and it looked super fun!

I rather shortboard any day, all day, but longboarding is fun, too.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
love my glider boards; would really love to try 'em on a wave like saladita although getting 'em down there sounds like a major PITA. there's a video of CJ on youtube where he does a really sick cutback at saladita on one of those huge 11' gliders. that is really hard to do.

years ago i surfed that wave a few feet OH on a quad fish; buttery roundhouse carves for days.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
SrPato said:
tenover said:
I've owned longboards for decades. I don't ride them often but when I do, it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face. I've been surfing for 41 years now and I still ride shortboards, fish, midlengths and longboards. I've realized recently that I most certainly don't give a F^cK what other people have decided is the only way to surf. However, I still get a little self conscious about wearing my surf cap. :shrug:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
a mini simmons can surf where longboards can and is way more fun. So are gliders.

Riding a 50s template and doing toes on the nose is beyond boring.

The surf relik with the progressive riders is impressive to me.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Topeslide said:
What these riders are doing is so old, it is not progressive. CJ Nelson even made that point in an interview, why do you even want to ride a board with a template from the 50s, which is so not progressive, maybe because it looks good on Instagram.
Don't let Joe Motion here you say that. :shameonyou:

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
tenover said:
I took a pre-dawn taxi ride to Saladida from Z-huat over a decade ago. Arrived to find 3-4 foot Malibu type lefts with no one out. Longboards randomly were strewn all over the place. So I grabbed a nice green Hank Warner and surfed alone for almost 2 hours before anyone paddled out. My session was over by then and when I paddled in, my taxi driver was waiting for me under a Mango tree. However, I still had to thank the owner of the board I "borrowed". Luckily she was pretty cool about it.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
do competitors on heavy oldschool boards punch them when they lose heats?
youd probably break bones doin it

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Longboarding Contests = Beef Hot-Dog Eating Contests for Vegans

If surfing is not a sport, longboarding is not a sport times infinity.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Topeslide said:
https://www.surfer.com/features/mexi-log-fest-recap/

Mexi-"log-fest" and the first thing I would think of is Beavis and Butthead snickering. Is it because there is no legit long board tour that these social media driven one off events happen? The guys side was won by an 18 y.o. that no one probably has never heard of outside of Hawaii since a lot of the talent that was invited were not interested and the Womens side had world champ honolua blomfield compete. To increase the field they invited riders with IG profiles. Not to discount them, but they could never qualify for a WSL event.
Then there is the surf-relik. Some top notch riders attend that one and if you are not directly invited you can submit a clip on IG, and some of these entries have the balls to think that they can go against riders like Andy Nieblas.
Lastly there is the duct-tape and it is only because Joel Tudor and vans have their name on it that more pros enter.

Don't go
Don't watch

Pretty easy fix