Long-term wetsuit storage

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Without getting into too many personal details, what's the best way to store wetsuits long-term? After giving them a good wash with conditioner and a good dry would putting them into a large Rubbermaid bin work?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
lay them flat or after they're bone dry hang em up on the hanger that came with. wouldn't fold them up for long periods of time, unless you're a fan of a creased up suit

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
If you fold them up and put them in a rubbermaid, they develop creases........and we can't have unsightly creases. What will all the bros think?

I prefer to fold them over at the waist and store them on a hanger in the closet.....the one in my foyer with my ascots and smoking jackets.

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I have heard hanging them from shoulders (through the neck hole) can stretch out the opening and shoulders. Also folding them over a thin hanger can create creasing. I find nice thick hangers and just fold them in half over the bottom part of the hanger.

a nice long black (keep light out) box you could lay them out flat in would be nice.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Am I the only one wh is too lazy to flip my suit right side out after surfing, only to be surprised (yet again) that the "outside" of my suit (that's been inside out) is still wet after weeks of not being used?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Am I the only one wh is too lazy to flip my suit right side out after surfing, only to be surprised (yet again) that the "outside" of my suit (that's been inside out) is still wet after weeks of not being used?
not that hard, after surf the inside becomes the outside because you don't want that wet while trying to put it on. after a few days you should turn it back to the original state if you don't plan on using it for a while. it will smell funny if you don't. take care of your sh!t and it will last longer, don't grind your suit into the pavement and rinse it after each use.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
This might seem odd, but I started spaying my winter suits with basic anti-fungal spray, and it seems to help them not get funky while in storage. YMMV

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
With winter suits the main thing is to avoid the creases that come from folding. If you leave them hanging a crease can form in the crotch that will ruin the neoprene and make the suit leak. I've stuck a beach ball inside of a suit and then rolled it up around that.. That seemed to work