Long Strange Trip the Grateful Dead documentary....

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Please don't dominate the rap, Jack
If you've got nothing new to say
If you please, don't back up the track
This train's got to run today

I spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill
Heard some say, "better run away"
Others say, "better stand still"

Now I don't know, but I been told
It's hard to run with the weight of gold
Other hand I have heard it said
It's just as hard with the weight of lead

Who can deny? Who can deny?
It's not just a change in style
One step done and another begun
And I wonder how many miles?

Spent a little time on the hill
Things went down we don't understand
But I think in time we will

Now I don't know, but I was told
In the heat of the sun a man died of cold
Keep on coming or stand and wait
With the sun so dark and the hour so late

You can overlook the lack, Jack
Of any other highway to ride
It's got no signs or dividing lines
And very few rules to guide

I spent a little time on the hill
I saw things getting out of hand
I guess they always will

Now I don't know, but I been told
If the horse don't pull you got to carry the load
I don't know whose back's that strong
Maybe find out before too long

One way or another, one way or another
One way or another, this darkness got to give
One way or another, this darkness got to give
One way or another, this darkness got to give.

Thanks Robert Hunter! :bowdown:

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Purely in a strict psychedelic sense, Grateful Dead seemed far less psychedelic than other bands of the era, so I am never too sure how they seemed to capture that flag of the scene.
What's become of the baby is a pretty good answer. And some of the acid test video at which the dead played looks pretty psychedelic to me. But after aoxomo--whatever they left that scene behind for good.

What's cool about the dead to me is the mix of traditional and psychedelic sounds, or more accurately, the psychedelic/Summer of Love/hippie ethos.

I don't think I would have been wanted to be in the inner circle. I was one degree removed via my boss when I lived in MoCo in the 90s and it sounded like a bad scene by that point. I'm sure it was a blast in the Haight, tho.

I dunno -- it's definitely the black licorice thing. I love the Dead and I'll watch/listen to just about anything connected to them, but I'm not going to argue anyone into what kind of music they should like.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Deadheads are what white privilege looks like.
Especially the bianco rasta trust funders what wore the pachouli to cover up the smell of many nights on tour without a shower.

Yuuuuuuuuuucky!

So many hot young ones too, until you got up close, caught a whiff of her, then suddenly she lifted her arms dancing, you saw all the underarm bush, 180°'d and sprinted in the opposite direction!

:roflmao::shameonyou::crazy2:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Check out his acoustic material. 2nd to none.

His bluegrass, if you're into that sort of thing, not that there's anything wrong with that, is great too.

He's had too many incredible solo shows to count electric with the J.G.B.

Always preferred that over hearing Bobby tunes mixed in... especially when Donna was around. :crazy2::bricks:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Check out his acoustic material. 2nd to none.

His bluegrass, if you're into that sort of thing, not that there's anything wrong with that, is great too.

He's had too many incredible solo shows to count electric with the J.G.B.

Always preferred that over hearing Bobby tunes mixed in... especially when Donna was around. :crazy2::bricks:
Old & In The Way
Jerry & Howard Wales
Jerry Garcia David Grissom
Legions of Mary
Reconstruction

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Jumped on the bus in 88 and caught a ton of shows thereafter. 90/91 years were smoking, Spring 90 back east especially. Check out the compilation if you haven't. Spent the last years before Jerry passed mostly going to JGB shows at the Warfield and was never disappointed. Garcia Grisman run was outstanding there.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Jumped on the bus in 88 and caught a ton of shows thereafter. 90/91 years were smoking, Spring 90 out east especially. Check out the compilation if you haven't. Spent the last years before Jerry passed mostly going to JGB shows at the Warfield and was never disappointed. Garcia Grisman run was outstanding there.
The run at Warfield during the Rodney LA riots was off the hook.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
The Warfield Theatre in San Francisco is one of the great concert venues in America, in my opinion.

If you buy a ticket and see a show there it is going to be good - artists love the venue and seem inspired to put on their best shows there.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Speaking of Bay Area venues -
Was lucky enough to see shows at Shoreline, the Greek, the Warfield, the Fillmore and Henry J Kaiser.
No Dead shows though - sad to say that I didn't find the Dead until after Jerry passed. An unlucky latecomer - but cherish the music nonetheless. Did see great shows at these spots with Phil and Phriends, String Cheese Incident, Oysterhead and Phish

Reactions: rowjimmytour

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
The Warfield Theatre in San Francisco is one of the great concert venues in America, in my opinion.

If you buy a ticket and see a show there it is going to be good - artists love the venue and seem inspired to put on their best shows there.
I never made it to a Warfield JGB, biggest regret. I always had a final in college during that time and couldn’t fly out. Oakland Coliseum for Mardi Gras or Chinese New Years for Dead shows with pre-partying at the Hof-Bra always worked out better. Getting on a plane to Oakland was sorta in a way getting on plane to Vegas for some. Hippies on drugs at 31,000 ft. is sorta life fullfilling.

All my non-dead buddies would ask about tapping hippie chicks...Like 9’4 mentioned before, I never once pulled a hippy chick, or pulled a bird after a show...of course had many chances, but for some freakin’ reason, Gillette razors and halucitionagetics do not go hand to pit. :ban:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I started out watching the Doc. from episode 6 (the last one ) and have been going backwards. i’ve read and heard most of the stories before. Us Deadheads would buy Dead books up left and right before the Internet. Cool to see video though.

Also having Sirius Sat. from the getgo just for the Dead Channel, so used to hearing the voices of the backstage crew.

Remember hearing that this was produced by one of the drummer’s son, Stellar job.

Start off seeing it backyards.

I’d never tout their music as the best, all time, etc...for me it was, and will always be. Everyone has their favorite band, sound, I get it, no qualms. It’s all fun, and if it’s not, move on.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
JGB at Warfield.

JGB at The Garden.

JGB at the Greek.

JGB at the Stone.

JGB at the Capitol Theater.

JGB at Merriweather Post Pavilion.

JGB at Alpine Valley.

JGB at the Eel River.

JGB at the Fillmore.

JGB at the Polo Field (GG Park)

JGB at the Civic in Providence.

JGB at Shoreline.

JGB at Irvine Meadows.

JGB at UNLV.

JGB at Rochester.

JGB at the Keystone.

JGB at Lunt-Fontanne (acoustic).

JGB at the Kaiser.

JGB at the Sweetwater in Mill Valley.

JGB at the Catalyst.

JGB at SUNY.

Just too many to even list.... But that's a great start for some REALLY MEMORABLE SHOWS!

Reactions: SlicedFeet

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
JGB at Warfield.

JGB at The Garden.

JGB at the Greek.

JGB at the Stone.

JGB at the Capitol Theater.

JGB at Merriweather Post Pavilion.

JGB at Alpine Valley.

JGB at the Eel River.

JGB at the Fillmore.

JGB at the Polo Field (GG Park)

JGB at the Civic in Providence.

JGB at Shoreline.

JGB at Irvine Meadows.

JGB at UNLV.

JGB at Rochester.

JGB at the Keystone.

JGB at Lunt-Fontanne (acoustic).

JGB at the Kaiser.

JGB at the Sweetwater in Mill Valley.

JGB at the Catalyst.

JGB at SUNY.

Just too many to even list.... But that's a great start for some REALLY MEMORABLE SHOWS!
The only one out of that list besides the Greek, that you would have been at, would have been Jerry’s 50th at Irvine Meadows. During set break they handed out strike anywhere matches and when second set started, the lights went out, we all lit the matches and sang Happy Birthday to Jerry. That was...DEAD.

i didn’t get into the Dead until 1989. Only saw 29 Dead shows and 17 JGB. Nada compared to most and my friends, but have dug every minute.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunnder

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Reactions: SlicedFeet