Long Strange Trip the Grateful Dead documentary....

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I miss Dead shows. Dead & Co is a cool option in modern times but the real Dead shows were fucking awesome and I'm glad I got to see a bunch. Those Vegas weekends were all time!

Phish is a different animal. I've been fan since seeing them 2 nights in a row at Spreckels Theater in downtown SD in December 1994. Blew my mind. Definitely not for everyone but their ability to jam and improvise is killer and their level of musicianship is A+. Lyrics are definitely silly/stupid at times but man the peaks and valleys of a good jam live is goosebump city.
First phish show, Amherst, spring of 94, blew me away. Runaway Jim! You can look it up, one of their highlight Shows of the 90s.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
^^ Nice!

I hate people that sound like old jadded vets of any scene and I definitely don't play that game... but... so glad I was able to get on that scene early. Seeing them those first few years was always incredible. Same with any good band early. They are always more raw, hungrier, etc.

Reactions: Subway

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
What's become of the baby is a pretty good answer. And some of the acid test video at which the dead played looks pretty psychedelic to me. But after aoxomo--whatever they left that scene behind for good.
I get that they were heavily involved in the acid test 'raves' and part of the early psychedelic scene, but like you said, they left it.

Seems like the bulk of their stuff, the music most of their fans followed them for, is after they mostly moved beyond the psychedelic.

And it is this part that I think the Dead's legacy is and what they are better known for, not the early label.

But this is just me, one tiny person who admittedly isn't a Dead fan and mostly benignly ignores their contributions to the world but am simultaneously glad their music improved the lives of their listeners.

Last edited:

JKH

Jan 27, 2020
Man, listening to you guys speak of JGB at The Warfield, that’s about as close to heaven as one can get. I was too young to experience good dead and the scene was already corrupted when I got into it.

Used to rank on a head buddy before I became one, he asked me what I listened to, I said country. He pulled out one of those El Paso->Big River runs. In my ignorance I never knew they played that stuff and I was turned on. If I said folk or rock or punk or anything else, he could have found the same type of answer in a ‘leg. If you took Workingman’s Dead or American Beauty and ripped the label off, then played it to joe anyman; their minds would be blown that it‘s Those acid freaks, the Grateful Dead.

They‘re the spirit of America personified in a lot of ways and Jer’s playing in its prime was so melodic and beautiful. Hunter’s lyrics are impossibly deep and opaque. Being a head, not a trustafarian-looking for a drug scene-head, is a life long education.

Reactions: Random Guy

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
JGB at Warfield.

JGB at The Garden.

JGB at the Greek.

JGB at the Stone.

JGB at the Capitol Theater.

JGB at Merriweather Post Pavilion.

JGB at Alpine Valley.

JGB at the Eel River.

JGB at the Fillmore.

JGB at the Polo Field (GG Park)

JGB at the Civic in Providence.

JGB at Shoreline.

JGB at Irvine Meadows.

JGB at UNLV.

JGB at Rochester.

JGB at the Keystone.

JGB at Lunt-Fontanne (acoustic).

JGB at the Kaiser.

JGB at the Sweetwater in Mill Valley.

JGB at the Catalyst.

JGB at SUNY.

Just too many to even list.... But that's a great start for some REALLY MEMORABLE SHOWS!
My two absolute favorite outside venues I saw JGB was Eel river and Squaw Valley that same year '91 was suppose to play Frost but Stanford declined.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
^^ Nice!

I hate people that sound like old jadded vets of any scene and I definitely don't play that game... but... so glad I was able to get on that scene early. Seeing them those first few years was always incredible. Same with any good band early. They are always more raw, hungrier, etc.
Still depends on band for me if I am going to stick around or grow old and stop listening. I saw phish at the Catylist in Santa Cruz and first felt like maybe another band to follow but the lyrics grew old for me quick.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I like to equate Phish's early and quirky lyrics to being heavily influenced by Zappa. They even covered Peaches En Regalia. For me it was those lyrics and the storytelling (Gamehenge) that did it for me. Once they tried to write more serious lyrics and moved out of the bar/club venues and college gyms I lost interest. Last show I think I saw was New Years 92 at the hockey rink Worcester, MA which was also the last time I dropped LSD.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
This video has been posted here before. It definitely helped rekindle my appreciation for the dead...

Reactions: Subway

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
A few other fun venues up North I was able to attend:
Wavy Gravy's Hog Farm up in Laytonville - saw SCI, Ozomatli and others.
The Mateel in Redway - Saw a couple Cheese shows there.
The Arcata Theater - My first String Cheese Incident show. Liked it so much, I drove down and caught the next show at the Fillmore in March of '99. Vince Welnick showed up for the encore.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
sugar magnolia,
blossoms blooming.

heads all empty,
and I don't care.

saw my baby,
down by the river.

knew she had to come,
up soon for air.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

12/31/69 soundboard

Happy Friggin New Years Boyz.

What a way to say hello to a new decade, and close out one that left such a pachouli stain!

:dancing::jamon::dancing: