Long distance relationships?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
hooked up with a chick for a bit that would surprise me with office bathroom nudes during the work day.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I guess for now - im wondering if talking to her everyday is healthy? maybe not talking to her everyday will make the times we do connect more special?
Prob not.

You need minimal contact at least a few days a week.

If she shows an emotional longing you need to appear somewhat indifferent but still demonstrate interest.

other things we can do online together other than fap. ways we can surprise each other and be as spontaneous as two people can be online.
lolz

Reactions: CutnSnip

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Might've gotten myself into a little bit of trouble. Head over heels - 3,000 miles apart. :drowning:

We just met a week ago - instant attraction on both parts. Have been texting/facetiming/zooming 24/7 since and Im not the type of guy that usually texting/glued to my phone all day type at all but I cant get enough.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Did it work out, can it work out? Luckily communication technology has made this a bit easier these days but tips/ tricks to keep things interesting?

I know intimacy is the key to a long lasting relationship at least for me, but save the perv-y sh!t for another thread. Looking for advice on how to actually make this work sans both of us having to fly to one another every other weekend.
heh, about 20 years ago, met a girl online playing backgammon...it started out light enough - daily chats, emails, phone etc - within a few weeks, i couldn't stop thinking about her. she was in Rio de Janiero, i was in Washington (state). somehow, we kept it going for a couple months until she came to visit over Thanksgiving. in person, everything clicked... I visited her in Brazil a few months later, shortly thereafter she transferred to her company's Miami office and I transferred to my company's SE NC office, so we kept it rolling, getting closer and closer. long story short, we worked our way into the same zip code gradually, within a year or two...bought a house, had a kid, made a life etc.

i think the key is that i was exactly the person i represented myself to be and so was she. so it can work, but it really requires two honest people to make it happen right. ymmv.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I tried the distance thing a few years ago. Met her when I was on a little surf trip up North. Hit it off. Hot, funny and a total sweetheart. We hung out a few days, went out to eat, hit the beach, etc.. She was hesitant to do the distance thing because of past experience. Distance wise it was a 4.5 hr drive, maybe more depending on traffic. We stayed in touch and eventually she was like hey I wanna come visit. Just as friends. Yeah, right.

After spending a weekend together we decided to try the long distance thing. It was good for a few months but eventually I think it just kind of wore us both out. Our work schedules didn't always work out to where we could do the drive. Lots of time on the phone and texting which isn't really my jam normally but it could be fun. Sort of bittersweet though after a long conversation and feeling connection then you hang up and go to bed alone. I ended up driving up more than her and sometimes it was exhausting after a long work week and it felt like the rest of my life was falling a bit out of balance. I'm so settled in where I live with property and family and friends, it was hard to imagine moving up the coast to a place that I frankly don't like nearly as much. Way more traffic and tourists and crowded surf. She loved it down here and looked for jobs but didn't find any. I looked at a couple houses up her way but ultimately it didn't matter.

Her mom got sick and she had to move back home to take care of her. I drove up to help her pack up her place and put it in storage, spend a couple final days together. It was pretty rough but I think there was a sense of relief as well. It felt like we were at a place where we either needed to move in together or call it quits and circumstance saved us from having to make that decision. I was willing to move up the coast but I wasn't about to move to the midwest. No regrets. We stayed in touch, her mom is doing well and she's living in CO now.

I hope it works out for you @CutnSnip. Dunno if I have any advice on the zoom front. She liked to snapchat and I felt silly but played along. If you are really into her just make the time and keep the connection going. It's a lot easier to let a relationship go when the person isn't physically there.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
can;t help you with handling long distance but something to consider:

When she comes out here do what you normally do. hang out with friends, go where you normally go (aside from dinner dates maybe) and when you go to her place try to get engrained in her normal lifestyle and see what that's all about.

everything is peachy when you fall in love but once the everyday life kicks in that's when it gets real.

If this random piece of advice somewhat helps in the future I'd like for you to tell her that some of your decision to marry her came from a completely random dude named Silentbutdeadly on the internet :)

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
There is also a decent gap in age, me being the geezer in the scenario. I just booked her a flight out in here in a couple weeks which will be our first time hanging out in person with complete privacy and soberness.
You paid for her flight ? she is younger? 10 years younger?more ? I predict you are going to have a great time and then get your heart broke. Enjoy the ride :cheers:

in all seriousness good luck! keep us posted

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i think the key is that i was exactly the person i represented myself to be and so was she. so it can work, but it really requires two honest people to make it happen right. ymmv.
stocked to hear a success story!

this is exactly what attracted both of us to one another. i mean she is drop dead gorgeous, funny, confident and has a moxie ive never encountered but i went into this trip with one thing in mind getting fucked up w/ friends. we met each other in our most vulnerable states on several forms of truth serums and it all just clicked and continues to click.

Reactions: grapedrink

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
You paid for her flight ? she is younger? 10 years younger?more ? I predict you are going to have a great time and then get your heart broke. Enjoy the ride :cheers:

in all seriousness good luck! keep us posted
yes, yes, and yes.

we've both acknowledged its going to either be a complete disaster or a miracle and nothing in between.

Reactions: santacruzin

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
can;t help you with handling long distance but something to consider:

When she comes out here do what you normally do. hang out with friends, go where you normally go (aside from dinner dates maybe) and when you go to her place try to get engrained in her normal lifestyle and see what that's all about.

everything is peachy when you fall in love but once the everyday life kicks in that's when it gets real.

If this random piece of advice somewhat helps in the future I'd like for you to tell her that some of your decision to marry her came from a completely random dude named Silentbutdeadly on the internet :)
man, thats some real sh!t right there and i didnt think about that. ive been trying to plan out some special stuff but if a person isnt into the your day to day then whats the point right.

Reactions: grapedrink
Jun 3, 2015
The thrill of traveling NY-Calif for a relationship is fun for awhile. Less so with the hassles of covid. So you can probably give it a go for awhile, but I'd give yourself a set amount of time you're gonna do long distance. Say, 6 months top. Have a plan for ending up in the same location after that point. Otherwise, she's gonna meet someone, or you will, or some other job will come up for one of you and it'll take you and/or your heart somewhere else. And then it'll suck.
having an end date to long distance from early on is most key, in my experience. The sooner, the better.

Reactions: CutnSnip

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
yes, yes, and yes.

we've both acknowledged its going to either be a complete disaster or a miracle and nothing in between.
Oh it’s a gonna be a disaster and when it happens it will be on her terms.

that’s how it always ends for older guys with younger women that they are way into.
At least for me it does hahahaha

Reactions: sdsrfr