Long distance relationships?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Oh that Japanese Irish German is a doozie. She is a model yes?

what wax said pics . Serious post pics so we can give good advice hahahahah

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Not sure where I got model from but I agree they are always bonkers! Dated one for a while on and off. We still talk and man do I feel sorry for her current BF.

Definition of high maintenance :roflmao:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
We were stone cold sober when we met, we drank a little but then we did lots of phsyadelic drugs together. combo platter's if you will for 4 days straight., then spent the last day/night together sober back in vegas.
drug induced love. my buddy is big on ketamine as a “therapeutic”. he falls in love all the time.

ends up in these movie esq relationships with really cool IG stories. but then he crashes and burns and goes on a bender when the reality of work deadlines hit and neither one was the angel they were while high or freshly coming off one.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
already been said, get some original material.

on the real though - im confident enough in myself to not let this type of sh!t bother me. Im doing a little overthinking on it now for sure but Im also realistic. we are both adults with basic human needs. i dont think i could go celibate for more than a week and wouldnt expect her to either. jus dont want to know about it.
relish all the feelings while they are there

enjoy yourself

don't think too much about it

also, don't overextend yourself or send her money

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Had a few long distance relationships before I met Sweetie-pie.

The only similarities were:

1 They all ended.
2 They were all great until they were not...some flickered out, some were a hard stop.
3 They were all within 5 years of my age
4 It sucked when they ended.*

The main differences:

1 The explanations why the relationship ended.
2 Hmmm, thought there were more reasons, but I guess not.

Some people have obviously made them work, while others have different experience. I'd guess there are less of the former, more of the latter, but I don't have real world stats beyond my own. If you can navigate it, great.

The age thing is, well, as dear old dad loves to say, "There is no fool like an old fool." Which may explain why he remarried a 50 yr old woman when he was 72 even after he said he was done with American women (she was just as American as dear old mom was....and he outlived her as well). For myself, I already did the young woman thing when I was a young man, so I don't know if I need to repeat the familiar.

By the way, how are you with kids?

* - Years after the break-up, met up with the one who married a drummer for a somewhat famous rock act. We had the fun game of catch-up. The only take-away I have on the romantic relationship dissolution was her statement of "In retrospect, it was doomed at the start." She seemed briefly sad when I said that I didn't go into it with that mindset but that I came to the same conclusion, maybe as a way to help myself get past the hurt of the break-up. Then we started talking about the now, and soon were our more happy selves.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
When you pick her up from the airport tell her you have to go to bed early to get up for the dawn patrol. Make sure the kitchen is stoked so she can have breakfast ready when you return. That’s the true test.
You forgot to mention - be grumpy all the way until back from surfing at which time even if you got skunked you put on the “yep, all better now“ smile.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
relish all the feelings while they are there

enjoy yourself

don't think too much about it

also, don't overextend yourself or send her money
no doubt - usually not to in my head about this sh!t.

she offered to pay upfront but i got a ton of points to use. I usually like paying for stuff as long as they offer first. Plus she has her own dough - has zero idea what i make etc.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
The age thing is, well, as dear old dad loves to say, "There is no fool like an old fool." Which may explain why he remarried a 50 yr old woman when he was 72 even after he said he was done with American women (she was just as American as dear old mom was....and he outlived her as well). For myself, I already did the young woman thing when I was a young man, so I don't know if I need to repeat the familiar.

the last girl who broke my heart 15 years ago was 8 years younger than me so familiar territory for sure but that was a 3 year plus relationship. she'll always be the one that got away and it def has an effect on how I approach a relationship since and now.

Love other peoples kids... On the fence wether i want my own.

Reactions: Mr Doof

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
When you pick her up from the airport tell her you have to go to bed early to get up for the dawn patrol. Make sure the kitchen is stoked so she can have breakfast ready when you return. That’s the true test.

shes knows all about the morning ritual and schedule. Im up at 5a.m. every day and usually in bed by 11. this has caused havoc in other relationships and has been thje catalyst for why they end because im not willing to budge on that.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Had a few long distance relationships before I met Sweetie-pie.

The only similarities were:

1 They all ended.
2 They were all great until they were not...some flickered out, some were a hard stop.
3 They were all within 5 years of my age
4 It sucked when they ended.*

The main differences:

1 The explanations why the relationship ended.
2 Hmmm, thought there were more reasons, but I guess not.

Some people have obviously made them work, while others have different experience. I'd guess there are less of the former, more of the latter, but I don't have real world stats beyond my own. If you can navigate it, great.

* - Years after the break-up, met up with the one who married a drummer for a somewhat famous rock act. We had the fun game of catch-up. The only take-away I have on the romantic relationship dissolution was her statement of "In retrospect, it was doomed at the start." She seemed briefly sad when I said that I didn't go into it with that mindset but that I came to the same conclusion, maybe as a way to help myself get past the hurt of the break-up. Then we started talking about the now, and soon were our more happy selves.
Lott's wife turned to a pillar of salt when she looked back.

Reactions: Mr Doof

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
shes knows all about the morning ritual and schedule. Im up at 5a.m. every day and usually in bed by 11. this has caused havoc in other relationships and has been thje catalyst for why they end because im not willing to budge on that.
Chicks who insist on sleeping in past 10 am on the weekends are no bueno for me, unless they are ok with me doing my own thing while they sleep the morning away. And fook brunch :shameonyou:

Reactions: CutnSnip

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@CutnSnip
As a romantic, I'll offer some hope in that I met my younger wife randomly in NY (where we both lived) through a friend, when I was older and still hadn't settled down yet because I hadn't met the right woman. It's super easy for guys to date in NY, and as you get older, your dating pool just gets bigger (total double standard for the women: theirs shrinks). So I went on tons of 1st & 2nd dates for years with a few 2-6 mo relationships here and there, nobody quite right. I would find something wrong with them all and my friends joked I was super picky like Seinfeld. All my friends had already gotten married and I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen for me. Then I met her and I had all the same feels you describe. I thought, "finally!" It was totally different and I knew why the others hadn't worked out. All my friends knew it right away too. She had qualities that I didn't even know I wanted. When you know, you know. The age gap has never been an issue- she's mature, I'm immature so we meet in the middle. I like to think I just waited long enough that I dodged my first marriage. LOL

Here's some tips as I've had some previous long-dist. relationships, including a transatlantic broken engagement.
-They are difficult, and unlikely to work for very long if you don't move to the same city. It's almost better to do it at the early stage, because you're both intrigued by the novelty- and you don't know what it's like to live nearby and what you're missing.
-I know you been hit hard by the thunderbolt, but try your best to keep it casual as while you get to know each other. Everyone is NY is dating multiple people at once, and until/unless you have the "exclusive" convo, you need to assume she is (and it sounds like you're ok with this, for now). Once you believe it's for real, you won't want to share her with anyone.
-If you both figure out "this could be the one", then you need to get in the same place asap. Even if you say, ok, I'm gonna move to NYC for 6 months and see if this works out. At least you won't always wonder. You can always move back to LA with no regrets.
-It's much easier when both sides are super busy with work/gradschool: if one or both are out partying/socializing a lot, that when temptations, insecurity, and jealousy come in. Those are the beginning of the end for LD relationships.
-I'd say once a month should be your min goal to see each other for 2-3 days. Obviously visit each other, meet the friends, do your normal stuff, but it's also super fun to travel somewhere together for a 3-day weekend: Chicago, Montreal, New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, Austin, Tulum, Bermuda, etc.
-There will be ups/downs, but you should always have your next visit planned. Things like FaceTime can seem a little pointless when it's open-ended and there's no date on the calendar to look forward to (or make it til) when you will be together next.

good luck!