Long-ass article that I think explains both the rise of Trump and some of the wildly different opinions some of us hold

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
The Rise of American Authoritarianism

Here's an article that's ostensibly about explaining the rise of Trump (something that I've always thought has been driven by fear of the "other" but have never had the data to back up, rather than any big populist anti-establishment movement) but also explains a lot about some of our differences as well - how certain types have been drawn to the modern Republican party and how others have been repelled by the same forces.

Very long, but very interesting too IMO.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
similarly discussed on Which Way LA today with guest from UK & German. Trump type of political figures are emerging in Germany due to Syrian/Iraq immigration backlash. and the UK's run to protect itself by trying to leave the EU or set up guarantees. yet the general current reaction over there to Trump is shock as they're looking for America to lead them thru their immigration problems too and seeing a guy in a lead who's talking what I'm sure they haven't accepted as similar dark desire not willing to openly state.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
My first thought was how far into this article would I have to go before the unsupported assumption made itself known- in this case, utterly ridiculous assumption. It was about 10 seconds in.

"The American media, over the past year, has been trying to work out something of a mystery: Why is the Republican electorate supporting a far-right, orange-toned populist with no real political experience, who espouses extreme and often bizarre views?"

BTW, The Donald was a Hillary Clinton and Chuck Shumer supporter about 15 minutes ago.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
CharmingSophisticate said:
My first thought was how far into this article would I have to go before the unsupported assumption made itself known- in this case, utterly ridiculous assumption. It was about 10 seconds in.

"The American media, over the past year, has been trying to work out something of a mystery: Why is the Republican electorate supporting a far-right, orange-toned populist with no real political experience, who espouses extreme and often bizarre views?"

BTW, The Donald was a Hillary Clinton and Chuck Shumer supporter about 15 minutes ago.
Hmmm... nitpicking word choice and no response to the substance of the article. Gotta say I didn't expect that from you.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
bird. said:

Hmmm... nitpicking word choice and no response to the substance of the article. Gotta say I didn't expect that from you.
The author identified Trump as "far right", he's easily provably nothing of the sort.
If I read an article on the bizarre attraction to authoritarianism of the Democrat voting base and they identified Bill Clinton as "far left" I'd have the exact same reaction.
That's not nitpicking dingleberry, that's bullshit detection.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
bird. said:

The author identified Trump as "far right", he's easily provably nothing of the sort.
If I read an article on the bizarre attraction to authoritarianism of the Democrat voting base and they identified Bill Clinton as "far left" I'd have the exact same reaction.
That's not nitpicking dingleberry, that's bullshit detection.
There's a shitload of data and research in there. If you take issue with that I'd love to hear it. It's not even so much about right vs left at all. Whatever.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Personally, whatever his views really are I don't think he has the temperament to effectively govern any public group, let alone the entire nation. No president can get anything done in opposition to the House and Senate, except by Royal Decree. And I think Trump is completely capable of alienating every politician in D.C..

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
GromsDad said:
Just so you understand that someone like me opposes Trump because he is a lying New York Liberal Democrat except when he's running for the Republican nomination.
Don't worry GromsDad, I wasn't worried that you'd gone liberal. :roflmao:

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Surfdog said:
I didn't read the article, but to sum up the rise of Trump:

Political Correctness and the people fed up with it.
would say more it's the last 8 years of a do nothing Congress. the strategy of refusing to work with Obama while bitchin' & whinning about everything starting to backfire on the GOP.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
stu dog said:
seeing a guy in a lead who's talking what I'm sure they haven't accepted as similar dark desire not willing to openly state.
Just curious - what's so dark about putting a temporary immigration halt on a group of people who believe in and have participated in the execution of homosexuals and have the most assbackwards treatment of women the planet has ever known? Not to mention a history of religious terrorism?

Not to mention a group who continues to maintain such beliefs and practices (save the executions) even as 1st and 2nd generation immigrants. At least according to loads of reasearch Pew has done in Europe.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
casa_mugrienta said:
stu dog said:
seeing a guy in a lead who's talking what I'm sure they haven't accepted as similar dark desire not willing to openly state.
Just curious - what's so dark about putting a temporary immigration halt on a group of people who believe in and have participated in the execution of homosexuals and have the most assbackwards treatment of women the planet has ever known? Not to mention a history of religious terrorism?

Not to mention a group who continues to maintain such beliefs and practices (save the executions) even as 1st and 2nd generation immigrants. At least according to loads of reasearch Pew has done in Europe.
We're banning the Catholics?

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF

23rdstMB

Nov 14, 2002
Home
stu dog said:
Surfdog said:

would say more it's the last 8 years of a do nothing Congress. the strategy of refusing to work with Obama while bitchin' & whinning about everything starting to backfire on the GOP.
Just one mention in this article about the present seat warmer in the White House.

:socrazy:

So why do you hate checks and balances so much? Congress stands in his way because congress, more so than the other two branches, represents the PEOPLE- and THEY are gridlocked.

"So where I can act on my own, I'm going to act on my own. I won't wait for Congress."

Not even going to go into all of the laws- enacted by congress, that he has ignored and unconstitutionally re-written.

Who's the authoritarian?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
23rdstMB said:
stu dog said:
Surfdog said:

Just one mention in this article about the present seat warmer in the White House.

:socrazy:

So why do you hate checks and balances so much? Congress stands in his way because congress, more so than the other two branches, represents the PEOPLE- and THEY are gridlocked.

"So where I can act on my own, I'm going to act on my own. I won't wait for Congress."

Not even going to go into all of the laws- enacted by congress, that he has ignored and unconstitutionally re-written.

Who's the authoritarian?
not willing to compromise and every budget or debt ceiling approval by threatening to shut the government down which has real implications for working people. again another backfire. we're replacing an authoritarian by default with an authoritarian by trade :toilet:

Reactions: Woke AF

23rdstMB

Nov 14, 2002
Home
what did Paul Ryan just do with the last budget? The establishment congress has given into Obama time after time. The fact that you don't recognise that shows the folly the establishment GOP makes in letting Obama do what he wants just for the sake of "getting along". F that. I wish congress had MORE backbone in telling him to sod off.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
I will freely admit that at this point, I have not finished the article. Reason being that for a scorner of "progressives" like myself this thing is such a ridiculously target rich environment that it's hard to get through one paragraph before my "authoritarian" nature comes out and I have to post up something snide and derisive.

General observation first....er, second: This lady is the classic insulated "progressive", all her friends, coworkers, reading material, college alumni and maybe even family are "progressive". This is her world, she barely associates with anyone else that doesn't share her worldview and is truly baffled when other people just don't get that she's right and that's that.

I'll slog through further and report back through out the evening.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
23rdstMB said:
what did Paul Ryan just do with the last budget? The establishment congress has given into Obama time after time. The fact that you don't recognise that shows the folly the establishment GOP makes in letting Obama do what he wants just for the sake of "getting along". F that. I wish congress had MORE backbone in telling him to sod off.
This. ^^^^^^^^^^

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My personal view is that Trump is a Trojan Horse sent in to make sure an honest to god conservative wouldn't get the nomination and to implode the Republican Party. The guy is a New York Democrat who I don't even think is serious about being president. Its almost like a publicity stunt for him.