Living Will (must be notarized)

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
LIVING WILL FORM... from S.C.

I, ____________, being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means. Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of pinhead partisan politicians who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives depended on it, or lawyers/doctors/hospitals interested in simply running up the bills.

If a reasonable amount of time passes, and I fail to ask for at least one of the following:

______Vodka on Rocks ______a Margarita ____ a Scotch ______Glass of wine_______ a Bloody Mary ______a Gin and Tonic _______ a Tee Time ______a Steak _____ Beer ______Lobster or crab legs ______the remote control ______ a bowl of ice cream ______the sports page______Sex ______or Chocolate, it should be presumed that I won't ever get any better.

When such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my appointed person and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes, and call it a day. At this point, it is time to call the New Orleans Jazz Funeral Band to come do their thing at my funeral, and ask all of my friends to raise their glasses to toast the good times we have had.

Signature:____________________ ______ Date: _______

NOTE: I also hear that in Ireland they have a Nursing Home with a Pub. The patients are happier, and they have a lot more visitors. Some of them don't even need embalming when their time comes.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Dude, You are in the place my brother and I were in 10 years ago. A living trust and a survivors trust. All spelled out and legal.

No probate. where the court ties everything up for months/years to work out succession.

And in you case, hopefully somebody worth their salt to step up.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Leaverite said:
Dude, You are in the place my brother and I were in 10 years ago. A living trust and a survivors trust. All spelled out and legal.

No probate. where the court ties everything up for months/years to work out succession.

And in you case, hopefully somebody worth their salt to step up.
A Living Will is a health care directive and it stops after you die. The one I posted is a lawyer joke that expands on the actual one you can download off for example, Kaiser Permanente’s website.

Your Will decides what’s done with your stuff after you die.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
JEwing said:
Coat Hanger said:
JEwing said:
Your Will decides what’s done with your stuff after you die.
Nope, The probate court decides what happens to your stuff after you die. A will is a useless document.
Agreed, unless it’s part of a well written living trust.
The "well written" part is important.. So many people have estates caught up in probate due to shoddy legal services.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ - All of the above is pretty spot on.

I would add that a will is nice to have to help calm down those who stand to inherit anything and provide some direction to the estate executor, but in the end, if you write a will thinking your body/ashes/etc will be put where you want (scattered at your fave break, dumped in a shallow grave in the rose bed underneath the window of your first crush, next to your oldest child in the fanciest part of the cemetery, etc), just know that unless you bought your plot or prepaid for it, be prepared to haunt people if you didn't get your way.

Also, if you have $150K or less, no need for probate if your executor knows a little bit about the Small Estate laws/codes. I know this form me helped me out. The will was nice for dealing with the family, but the banks, insurance companies, and brokerages liked the POA much better.

If you're thinking your gonna die or be in charge of things once someone dies, my non-lawyer advice is:

1 Set up Power of Attorney
2 Set up Medical Power of Attorney
3 Get a joint account set up
4 Consolidate finances/paperwork
5 Gift cash (what is the limit now, $14K a year per person?) while you are living to limit/mitigate taxes for the estate.
6 Write down on-line account usernames/passwords, store securely
7 Take care of advanced medical care directive here.
8 You got two years to close out the estate with the IRS before it starts getting more complicated.
9 There is probably more out there to be aware of, but this is a nice place to start.

But you know, I enjoyed the first post and the humor. Gallows humor always makes me chuckle. Thanks.