Lib Tech x Lost Puddle Jumper

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I think Lib has made intermittent tweaks to the construction over the years. If you watch the Salas review of the Swordfish, Nate Yeomans makes mention of some recent construction changes that have allegedly improved the Lib Tech ride.
I think you're right. Most of the negative reviews are from 2017-2018 (2-3 years ago) - so I'd take them with a grain of salt.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Very strong build, but they do ding....... check out the pink foam.

This was an extreme case surfing a quirky reef break hiding from a 15 @ 18 in BFE. There was a rock in the middle of section. I had been bottom turning around it, but on one of the bigger set waves I decided to point it and go in front of it. Lip started to crumble and ended up having to float it landing right on top of the rock and then supermaning off my board. Easy fix with dremel qcell and epoxy.

Just cant imagine paying 600-700 for a poly board. Remember paying 350 off the rack in the late 80's early 90's. And stoked to support local PNW board builders and a more sustainable tech.

Is that pink XPS?

Blias Bloon

Nep status
Jan 3, 2003
I bought a Lib Tech Puddle Jumper in January 2019 as a travel board and it ended up being the only board I rode for an entire year. I used it in pretty much every condition from knee high slop to big bumpy point breaks and draining OH river mouth barrels. I definitely found it's limits but I'm still impressed by what it can handle. I have the 5'5 30.5L and find it's the perfect dims for me at 5'11/170 x boardshorts all the way up to 6/5 fullsuit. Duck dives insane.

It paddles great and lets me catch waves that I shouldn't be able to catch. Glides really well once up, I'll often just cruise on it when the waves are really small and gutless, or on sections that back off. The wide nose and decent amount of foam up front lets me pump once or twice and then just move forward on the board and try to throw a cheater five or goof around without bogging down too badly. It can handle late drops in better waves if you really stomp on the back to keep the nose up, if not there's not much flip in the nose and it can get caught in those tighter transitions. I also felt the width of the tail getting in the way in really hollow conditions, but I was just pushing the board past what it/I could handle at that point. The speed you can generate with the board is awesome in smaller or softer conditions, once it gets bigger or more powerful and you don't have to generate your speed, controlling it becomes an issue. When you're going so fast (like OLO speed... swear I've hit some speed records on this) it gets pretty skatey, really skimming over the wave, and with the wide tail and short rail line it gets hard to push it over and put it on rail, at least for me.

I've been running it with the MR twin + trailer and also the PC-7 in quad and thruster setup. The MR twin + trailer works really well, lots of drive and fast, but I feel it can get kind of tracky, definitely feel like I'm doing more drawn out turns with it than with the PC-7 in quad setup. Don't remember what running it without the trailer was like, I should probably try that again. The PC-7s in quad has a bit less drive than the MR but I feel like I can get a bit more vertical with them. If I push the tail in turns I can blow the fins out. My first few sessions I used the PC-7s in thruster set up and it went well in bigger wave. I tried that setup again recently and found I could feel that third fin dragging and less speed overall compared to the quad and twin + trailer. Haven't really tried moving the fins around in the fin boxes yet, I always set them at the same spot, but you can definitely move them around in there. Twin tabs have maybe half an inch of adjustment, FCS2 have maybe an eight?

I love the construction and durability. Don't know when the board was built but probably 2018-2019. I got two small dings on the rail near the nose (very stupid smashing the same sharp rock twice incident) and havent fixed them and can't even tell they are there. Second stupid incident, kicking out last second before shore pound, ditched my board, felt leash go slack, thought my leash broke, pulled it, board was being held underwater, shot out tail first at my face. Fins hit me square in the nose/bridge. Chipped the fin and pushed it partially out of the box. Fin box was fine. Face was like fin. :cursing: In comparison, I bought a Ghost in February, standard glassing schedule, and I had more dents in the deck after three sessions than the Lib Tech after a year. Traveling the Ghost got pipe insulation on the rails, some bubble wrap on the bottom, in a day bag inside a double board bag. The Lib Tech got a towel thrown on it in the bag.

Feel wise I can't say much. Doesn't feel chattery or dead or have weird flex. But it's only 5'5 and honestly I'm not sure I could feel the difference in flex patterns of different constructions in that size.

My buddy just ordered a Lib Tech PJHP, with the Futures compatible boxes, looking forward to comparing the two.
Overall it's a super fun board. Great one board quiver for shittier waves we get here.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I've owned one Lib Tech, a 5'8" RNF. Liked the board, only sold it because I needed to up volumes (would likely pull the trigger if a 5'10" version popped up on Craigslist). I did dish the deck a bit where my knee lands during duck dives, but I typically cave in the decks of my boards (side-effect of aggressive duck-diving behavior from decades of surfing heavy beach breaks) and this was much less than what occurs on my standard construction boards so I chalk it up to a realistic "much more durable but not indestructible" assessment of Lib Techs.

I think Lib has made intermittent tweaks to the construction over the years. If you watch the Salas review of the Swordfish, Nate Yeomans makes mention of some recent construction changes that have allegedly improved the Lib Tech ride.
Seeing as Noel and Yeomans get paid to say stuff like that, it would be nice to hear more from some recent buyers.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I bought a Lib Tech Puddle Jumper in January 2019 as a travel board and it ended up being the only board I rode for an entire year. I used it in pretty much every condition from knee high slop to big bumpy point breaks and draining OH river mouth barrels. I definitely found it's limits but I'm still impressed by what it can handle. I have the 5'5 30.5L and find it's the perfect dims for me at 5'11/170 x boardshorts all the way up to 6/5 fullsuit. Duck dives insane.

It paddles great and lets me catch waves that I shouldn't be able to catch. Glides really well once up, I'll often just cruise on it when the waves are really small and gutless, or on sections that back off. The wide nose and decent amount of foam up front lets me pump once or twice and then just move forward on the board and try to throw a cheater five or goof around without bogging down too badly. It can handle late drops in better waves if you really stomp on the back to keep the nose up, if not there's not much flip in the nose and it can get caught in those tighter transitions. I also felt the width of the tail getting in the way in really hollow conditions, but I was just pushing the board past what it/I could handle at that point. The speed you can generate with the board is awesome in smaller or softer conditions, once it gets bigger or more powerful and you don't have to generate your speed, controlling it becomes an issue. When you're going so fast (like OLO speed... swear I've hit some speed records on this) it gets pretty skatey, really skimming over the wave, and with the wide tail and short rail line it gets hard to push it over and put it on rail, at least for me.

I've been running it with the MR twin + trailer and also the PC-7 in quad and thruster setup. The MR twin + trailer works really well, lots of drive and fast, but I feel it can get kind of tracky, definitely feel like I'm doing more drawn out turns with it than with the PC-7 in quad setup. Don't remember what running it without the trailer was like, I should probably try that again. The PC-7s in quad has a bit less drive than the MR but I feel like I can get a bit more vertical with them. If I push the tail in turns I can blow the fins out. My first few sessions I used the PC-7s in thruster set up and it went well in bigger wave. I tried that setup again recently and found I could feel that third fin dragging and less speed overall compared to the quad and twin + trailer. Haven't really tried moving the fins around in the fin boxes yet, I always set them at the same spot, but you can definitely move them around in there. Twin tabs have maybe half an inch of adjustment, FCS2 have maybe an eight?

I love the construction and durability. Don't know when the board was built but probably 2018-2019. I got two small dings on the rail near the nose (very stupid smashing the same sharp rock twice incident) and havent fixed them and can't even tell they are there. Second stupid incident, kicking out last second before shore pound, ditched my board, felt leash go slack, thought my leash broke, pulled it, board was being held underwater, shot out tail first at my face. Fins hit me square in the nose/bridge. Chipped the fin and pushed it partially out of the box. Fin box was fine. Face was like fin. :cursing: In comparison, I bought a Ghost in February, standard glassing schedule, and I had more dents in the deck after three sessions than the Lib Tech after a year. Traveling the Ghost got pipe insulation on the rails, some bubble wrap on the bottom, in a day bag inside a double board bag. The Lib Tech got a towel thrown on it in the bag.

Feel wise I can't say much. Doesn't feel chattery or dead or have weird flex. But it's only 5'5 and honestly I'm not sure I could feel the difference in flex patterns of different constructions in that size.

My buddy just ordered a Lib Tech PJHP, with the Futures compatible boxes, looking forward to comparing the two.
Overall it's a super fun board. Great one board quiver for shittier waves we get here.
I should have read this. before my last comment. Great review! Thanks!

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Jumped on a 5'9" Lib Tech Puddle Jumper that showed up on Craigslist. I've had a few surfs on it, mostly typical summer junk. Durability thus far A+; came around the section with a lot of speed and got smoked by a drop in on left (backside for me so a bit difficult to first see and then avoid the offender); tangled leashes, heard the boards knocking around for a number of waves as we floundered before we could untangle, PJ came out unscathed.

Has taken a little acclimation but definitely starting to figure out both the design and feel (stiffer than other materials but on such a short and fat board I don't think it's necessarily a handicap) of the construction. Starting to tap into the advantages of it now.

Last night we had a small, lined-up mid-period groundswell show up and wound up having a blast on it. Need to figure out a fin set for it (riding a few orphan mix-and-match FCS1's; FCS2 would fit in the boxes but sit at least a half-inch back).

Biggest complaint: The proprietary fin boxes are super lame; as you screw the fins in they bow out and are kind of creaky when you load them up from the tips. I'll be able to resolve that if I find a fin set I dedicate to the board by building up the tabs for a snugger fit and recessing where the grub screws land on them, but if I ever manage to damage a box I'll be tempted to pull them all and install Futures or FCS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
checked 2 shops today that have the 5’ 10” I’m considering but neither had the newer Futures compatible boxes. Asked the second shop to order one with them. We’ll see what happens.

Mr Mike Olson gives a good explanation and demo of the new Futures compatible boxes here...

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
checked 2 shops today that have the 5’ 10” I’m considering but neither had the newer Futures compatible boxes. Asked the second shop to order one with them. We’ll see what happens.

Mr Mike Olson gives a good explanation and demo of the new Futures compatible boxes here...

Hopefully they went with a more rigid material and tighter specs this round; their FCS-compatible system leaves much to be desired (loose fit, boxes flex and twist under load).

I don't know why they are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Hopefully they went with a more rigid material and tighter specs this round; their FCS-compatible system leaves much to be desired (loose fit, boxes flex and twist under load).

I don't know why they are trying to reinvent the wheel.
I'm guessing higher margins or some problem with the finbox suppliers.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I'm guessing higher margins or some problem with the finbox suppliers.
Lib Tech as a company is pretty innovative, they do a lot of their own R&D, and usually generate a solid product. I like that and what they produce most of the time. I just can't help but feel this is a case where they thought they could make something better, but in the end released something inferior.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
While I dont always jive with the Surf n Show Reviews, I do take what I can from them. Sounds like they had a better on-rail experience as a quad than a thruster, but said it was fast either way.

That said, a 5-fin purchase is in my future. Upright / pivoty fins sound like the call. I'm 5' 11" and 190lbs (should be more like 180lbs during a non-pandemic summer) and am looking at the following for the Puddle Jumper HP.

The Pyzel's have the most surface area, while the Mayhems are tallest overall, but the F8's are very close in all specs.

F8 AlphaSide FinsCenter FinRear Fin
Area
15.9​
15.9​
11.67​
Height
4.64​
4.64​
4.05​
Base
4.47​
4.47​
3.87​
FoilFLATSYMMSYMM
Pyzel LargeSide FinsCenter FinRear Fin
Area
16​
16​
12.36​
Height
4.64​
4.64​
4.15​
Base
4.65​
4.65​
4.26​
FoilFLATSYMMFLAT
Mayhem LargeSide FinsCenter FinRear Fin
Area
15.85​
15.85​
11.43​
Height
4.67​
4.67​
4​
Base
4.6​
4.6​
3​
FoilFLAT50/5080/20

Reactions: sjlist

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Does anyone know how to get ahold of a shaper at ...Lost to help calculate custom dimensions for a given volume? I went to order a custom Mayhem at a surf shop and they only knew how to fill out the order form, not what dimensions I should get for my height and desired volume.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Thanks. They never say what length the board should be relative to your height. Salas rode one 6 inches shorter than he is tall. Kind of frustrating for picking starting dimensions. Not shelling out $800 to get the wrong dims.
True, but you do know what kind of board you're looking for (HPSB, groveler, etc) and your usual length & volume for said boards, so you can probably make a pretty informed decision on that board builder. I wouldnt go distorting the dims too far from stock though

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Thanks. They never say what length the board should be relative to your height. Salas rode one 6 inches shorter than he is tall. Kind of frustrating for picking starting dimensions. Not shelling out $800 to get the wrong dims.
I'd ride it about the same height as you would ride a fish. Anywhere from 0 - 6 inches shorter than your height. The better the surfer the shorter you'd want to ride it probably. Then once you figure your height look at the stock liters and adjust width and thickness accordingly on the catalyst board builder tool to the volume you like. The volume calculator using the guild factor on the Lost site is pretty spot on volume range wise for me.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD