Lib Tech Puddle Jumper

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Anyone ridden one? Or ridden another Lib Tech board? I've been kicking the proverbial tires on a PJ for summer and am wondering about PU vs. LT. I've heard LT is heavier/feels heavier than PU and am wondering if LT makes sense on a smaller board in weaker surf. (Will it feel like it's bogging/sinking.)

For your trouble:
0021027746.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Retropete

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@ZZ Soft Top just curious Why you considering LT? Are you after extreme durability? I really only see them under the arm of newbie surfers who aren’t used to having to handle a delicate hardboard- basically a next step after wavestorm like those Torq boards, but with the cachet of the Lost logo. I dunno. maybe they rip.

For a grovel board, I’d look at their Lightspeed or carbon wrap or C4 or even BlackDart carbon fiber builds. just my 2 cents. Hydra also looks like a fun summer option.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't seen the most recent Lib boards but the older ones always looked funky. Felt bomb proof though and I know a couple guys who've been surfing the OG ones for years. Supposedly the most recent iterations are an improvement. The lack of Futures fins compatibility has kept me from ever seriously considering them.

The Puddle Jumper itself though is a winner. Mine is the slim dims in carbon wrap and it's still prob my favorite groveler of all time. I have put some pretty good dents in the deck and busted a fin box out by falling on it so they're definitely not bomb proof but overall considering what I've put it through it's held up decently. I've loaned it out to a few different friends and they all loved it.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I'm on my third Libtech at the moment, here's my 2 ct:

- Construction:
They sure are pretty bulletproof and ideal for travelling. My first two libtechs (PJ and Short Round) did not have the carbon stringer my latest one (Rocket Redux) has, they've also changed the rails and lamination schedule slighty. Not quite sure how much difference that makes though. They are a bit heavier than traditional PU I'd say, definitely heavier than carbon wrap. The feel is a bit stiffer and more damp, more like a poly board with a slightly heavier glassing schedule. If your board is meant just for small waves, I'd go with some epoxy construction for sure. I've had 4 carbon wraps which all felt great in small gutless surf. lost also offers a light speed construction which sounds like it would work for a groveller. If your planning on using it in choppy, slightly bigger slopey waves, libtech will be fine.
The finish is a bit rough on them and I generally wouldn't consider the boards particularly aesthetically pleasing....
Some shapes are offered in Futures, not sure if the PJ is one of them. The fin plugs are a bit annoying. They'll take lib Fins (obviously), FCS I and FCS II, but you'll have to screw the latter.

- Shape:
The libtech puddle jumper comes in different dims than the regular one and has wings, reducing its tail width. The regular one should grovel better. Libtechs are only offered in 2" increments, sizing can be tricky. My mate was inbetween sizes and went for the bigger one, ended up with a f*cking boat.

- Bottom line:
Get an og fling in superflex :ROFLMAO:

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
@oeste858 Yeah, the durability. I tend to have heavier feet in smaller/weaker surf and dent my grovelers more than my DDs. I was looking at OTR boards yesterday and saw both a PU and LT PJ next to each other and started to wonder about the difference. I'll take a look at those other constructions you mentioned. And thanks to Aruka and Claw for their .02

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
...Lib boards... the lack of Futures fins compatibility has kept me from ever seriously considering them.
C’mon dude, I’ve covered this for us already. Heh heh.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I have a 5'9" PJ in LibTech. Has a wide range for me- knee high slop to HH barrels. Construction is certainly more durable but also stiffer than most others. That said, I think it is well-suited for shorter, stockier boards where flex is not of top importance (and could even be a hinderance if a board over-flexes- i.e.- small surf where maintaining speed by skimming over the surface is more critical than recoil and pop through turns).

FWIW, I've hammered the deck over the course of 2 years (but I'm a 200lb-er who surfs in dredging beach break and still tries to do airs, sometimes quite clumsily) but the rails and bottom are still pristine and the board is still going strong overall.

I do f*(king hate the FCS-compatible boxes they use, they flex a too much under load and if you use FCS2 fins they sit back approximately 1/2" too far. I'd go with the Futures-compatible boxes if you can, but bear in mind I don't have experience with those yet; I just think anything would be an improvement over their proprietary boxes and I wish they would just go with bona fide FCS2 or Futures.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've had four. Totally love the PJ, but mine is one of the first ones, and I swear it's notably lighter than every one I've had since. It does not have the carbon strip, which I think coincides with some other changes making the boards heavier. It feels flexy, lively, poppy, etc. kind of like C3/C4/black dart.

I didn't click with the Short Round or Puddle Fish shapes, but the boards did feel noticeably heavier than the PJ. And less flexy.

Just got a Hydra. Starting to play with it some, a couple sessions in bigger surf than I bought it for, once when it was fun but I was very tired. I already like the shape considerably more than Short Round or Puddle Fish, but I kind of wish they skipped the tail rocker and sidecut so far - need more sessions but I would skip pulling the tail in and flipping it up so much and just have it be a very modern grovelly quad fish, kind of a more aggressive Bean Bag. I will say if you have a PJ already and you want a "fish" version of it, skip the Puddle Fish and get a Hydra.

The construction's durability is Elder God Tier, but I could offer very high praise to carbon wrap, C4, C3, and black dart, and I'd recommend any of those over the current lib tech build for small clean surf. I'd say they should go back to the original build but maybe keep the plastic bottle rails - I want to say the Hydra build feels a little lighter than the Short Round or Puddle Fish.

They said on instagram, before shapers stopped accepting new orders and sh!t, that the Sabo Taj was coming out sooner than later. 8-9 months ago? That model, or the Round Up, sounds perfect for this. I am a little off the Quiver Killer because while I like the Psycho Killer, I did not like the Short Round, and I am not sure which one the QK would be more like - and I'd want something less biased towards small waves in the width/rail than the Short Round. But the construction just begs for a step up. The newer ones (other than my 6 year old PJ) are less chattery/EPS-y and since it's closed cell, just ideal for a travel step up. As good as the C3/C4/Black Dart/Carbon Wrap have been to me, once they're dinged, you need to do something about it so the EPS doesn't get soaked and f----d. Lib, I would feel better putty/sun cure/duct taping it.

I don't have any finbox complaints. I feel like I have enough fins, including OG 2 tabs, that I can tune the fin feel to my liking/conditions and the rest is just me overthinking it on in between conditions every once in a great while. I have had the original and FCS-2 compatible.

I would second what Aruka said about the Lib in chop/bump, especially the newer ones. I had the Hydra out in some HH zone choppy bump and the build went fine in the mess.

One scenario I'd strongly recommend these is if you have to up-size due to competing with the crowd, it might get bumpy so the lighter techs are less ideal, and there's burn artists and everyone's filming so you don't want to react in a way that winds up on YouTube. I was terrified of other people if I was surfing an Aviso. Not so the Lib Tech. I would "accidentally" bump rails with drop-ins, 0 fx given, all day long. I can see a weekend zoo hurricane swell in the Hydra's future already.

For OP, for maximum spicyness in small clean surf, I'd order a light-colored black dart, a C4, a Carbon Wrap, or a Light Speed (haven't tried any Light Speed myself). I'm a fan of the design like Aruka.

Last edited:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Skindog seems to love his new Libtech builds....although he's also a brand rep for them. He's been spewing major praise for both the Rocket Redux and the Hydra.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
There's an older thread out there somewhere on the Lib PJ of which I and others posted several ride reviews. Had a few of the OGs and the PJ was my favorite. I keep low balling people on CL for another, but yet to have any luck. Resale on these boards is quite good. I was initially interested in the tech having ridden Stretch's for years and a few other EPS builds and liked the fact they were built somewhat locally. Some of the R&D builds they are working on look promising.

They are buoyant and will not fell like bogging/sinking IME. I've heard they have gotten heavier, and I think that has gotten back to them and they are working on it. Heavier than poly? Guess it depends on your glassing prefs on your poly boards. I don't get to hung up on having an ultra light board. In fact I think it works against you sometimes around here given local winds. Not just newbies riding them here either. Maybe try getting one used?

Last edited:
Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
No build is indestructible. While surfing a quirky little reef break I landed a floater on a rock I was trying to well.... float over and yes it dinged. Not bad thou. Poly board might of broken in half. Foam was pink, which was pretty cool. I've looked at used ones with multi years on them and they seemed fine to me. They do yellow thou.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
...major praise for both the Rocket Redux...
I just picked up a used LibTech 5'8" Rocket Redux for my daughter (she's been borrowing my PJ but it's a bit wide/bulky for her and, well, it's MINE... haha) and it's a really nice shape. I'm considering eventually buying one in my dims as a DD.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
It does feel a bit bulky, but I didnt mind on a 5'5" PJ ~30 liters?
Was oversized, friends board. Fun for slop and flew but the wide tail struggles going vertical (no sh!t)
As soon as it got chest high and pitching I was skipping like kid on a snow disc on drop ins, had to grab something else
Really fun cutbacks in less that waist high stuff, was running TC Aqualine quad. Construction felt a bit stiff, but defintely got some fun ones. Would go futures boxes for sure, fins were a little off w fcs box, not noticible riding but had to tighten before sesh

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It does feel a bit bulky, but I didnt mind on a 5'5" PJ ~30 liters?
Was oversized, friends board. Fun for slop and flew but the wide tail struggles going vertical (no sh!t)
As soon as it got chest high and pitching I was skipping like kid on a snow disc on drop ins, had to grab something else
Really fun cutbacks in less that waist high stuff, was running TC Aqualine quad. Construction felt a bit stiff, but defintely got some fun ones. Would go futures boxes for sure, fins were a little off w fcs box, not noticible riding but had to tighten before sesh
Try controllers quad set the stretch set FU#3 runs great on my gbuzz :shaka:

Reactions: Waterlogged05

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
FWIW, I was in my local shop yesterday and they happened to have a couple LibTech Hydras and a PJ so I couldn't help but feel them up. They look plasticy like those Torqs, and feel stiff & heavy to me. Personally, not what I'd want in a groveler as I prefer light and flex in weak waves where you need to generate your own speed, but to each his own. I'd still suggest checking out C4/blackdart/lightspeed construction for a lost groveler.
If you're just after the durability, then I'm sure you'd be satisfied as they seemed bombproof. The Hydra outline and rocker look like it would be a great gravel boar.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
you promote those fins like you owe them money, I'm going to have to try them and start my quad renaissance
After i order a griffin thruster of course
Nice set of fins Fins Unlimited makes that work great on Stretch boards but I heard the controller template works great on quad grovel boards:shaka: I just happen to own and surfed the gbuzz and use the stretch contoller template.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Nice set of fins Fins Unlimited makes that work great on Stretch boards but I heard the controller template works great on quad grovel boards:shaka: I just happen to own and surfed the gbuzz and use the stretch contoller template.
what's your verdict on these- good for wide tail gravel boars? and are the rears double foiled too?

1622653454664.png

Reactions: rowjimmytour