Let's Talk Foil Safety

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
This comes to mind as we had a serious accident yesterday in the Maui foil community. I arrived to the beach just after they took him away in an ambulance and got all of the initial details from those that saved his life. I've foiled with everyone involved from the beginning, most are long time watermen/women from all backgrounds. Thankful I'm surrounded in the water with EMT's, doctors, lifeguards, athletic trainers, policemen, etc.. Their training saved this guys life.

So Ka'a point is one of the best foil spots on Maui in the winter. It has an outside reef that's a 20 minute paddle, then there's the inside beginner section that's about a 5 minute paddle. Buck, one of the older proners (he's in his 60's) was just finishing a ride from the outside to the beginner section. He came off foil and was fairly close to the inside section. He witnessed the victim (beginner) fall and hit his head very hard on his board. He said it sounded like someone cracked him with a baseball bat. The victim went down and didn't resurface, he was ko'd. Buck sprinted (paddled) over and with the help of another was able to get him above water and lay on his board. Buck said he was under for about 2 minutes. By that time others on the beach rushed out to help. 911 was called from the water (smart watch) and medics were on the beach when they pulled him in.

Long story short, with the help of everyone involved this guy is alive today. In the hospital still getting some CT scans but is awake and has talked to his family.

This is the 2nd group rescue this winter at this spot, by the same group. Last one was a serious laceration.

So it may be time to melon up, helmets may be a good idea, and always try and foil with others. And CPR wouldn't be a bad idea either.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
initial question: is this is a foil-specific injury or could/would the same thing happen with learning on a surfboard or sup? I expect answer is probably more likely on a foil, the way falls tend to happen. I always wear a helmet sup foil, as I have been cracked in the head by foil numerous times, though never by board. I don't wear helmet prone foil,too heavy on my neck, but now the bump cap inside wetsuit hood works.

The lacerations scare me, with the new upturned razor winglets. That's a long way from GoFoil's early safety emphasis: all rounded edges, nothing to cut you. Versus the china knockoff I learned on, scary sharp.

Anyways, glad the guy is ok! This is fun and all, but safety first eh

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Bump caps are becoming more common over here. Easy thing to do in the winter as guys are wearing hoods and just slip it inside their hood. I've seen a couple of the soft rugby style helmets in the water now too. Pretty interesting.

Apr 4, 2020
I use the Gath surf helmet. I've been using it for my annual INDO surf trip for years, so I've gotten use to the weight. A few years ago, I felt my helmet tap the reef at G-Land after I got pitched on a takeoff. Without the helmet, the reef tap could have been much worse.

On my most recent foil session a couple of days ago, I fell awkwardly on my side and I felt the side of my head slap the water pretty damn hard. With the helmet, it's a good chance I could've blown out an ear drum.

Mar 22, 2020
http://instagr.am/p/CIZ6RmLDVpk/
Looks like Jeffrey Spencer is wearing a helmet too. That is a good, because then other kids will do it, maybe it will become like snowboarding where everybody use a helmet.
I actually don't wear one but I'm thinking bump cap is a good option.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
initial question: is this is a foil-specific injury or could/would the same thing happen with learning on a surfboard or sup? I expect answer is probably more likely on a foil, the way falls tend to happen. I always wear a helmet sup foil, as I have been cracked in the head by foil numerous times, though never by board. I don't wear helmet prone foil,too heavy on my neck, but now the bump cap inside wetsuit hood works.

The lacerations scare me, with the new upturned razor winglets. That's a long way from GoFoil's early safety emphasis: all rounded edges, nothing to cut you. Versus the china knockoff I learned on, scary sharp.

Anyways, glad the guy is ok! This is fun and all, but safety first eh
I"m likin!!!

Last edited:

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Kookiest one on here! If you foil...you will die!

How about body protection? I'm wearing the hood/bump cap always now, but also wear some kind of wetsuit top when foiling, no matter how warm. I had a hard impact to the chest early on that almost swore me off foiling, bruised for weeks. If I hadn't been wearing a wetsuit top I would probably gotten a pretty good laceration on top of the bruising.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
How about body protection?
We rock the 5/4 and booties year round up here, sad to say ... but it does give nice protection. I have sliced my wetsuit a few times now, kinda shudder to think what the flesh wound would have looked like.

I wore an impact vest while learning, then took it off. But I find occasionally I will fall backward with speed, from up high, and the back slap takes my breath away, like those diving board fail videos. If I was in tropics, I'd probably wear a wetsuit vest at least.

Reactions: grendel95
Aug 28, 2020
How about body protection? I'm wearing the hood/bump cap always now, but also wear some kind of wetsuit top when foiling, no matter how warm. I had a hard impact to the chest early on that almost swore me off foiling, bruised for weeks. If I hadn't been wearing a wetsuit top I would probably gotten a pretty good laceration on top of the bruising.
Yes, even with an impact vest I took the rail of the board to the ribs this summer and suffered for about 3 weeks. I need to check out one of those bump caps. The sizing looks questionable - one size fits all does not usually work for me.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
The bump cap is ok, not much protection in there, just slightly better than nothing IMHO.

These look like they might work pretty well

or a cheap knock off version

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I’m interested to here any reports from someone who’s taken one to the dome with the soft surf helmet thing, almost seems like there’s zero protection on most of it from a foil impact perspective.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’m interested to here any reports from someone who’s taken one to the dome with the soft surf helmet thing, almost seems like there’s zero protection on most of it from a foil impact perspective.
Yeah I’m fully sceptical. Ain’t gonna stop a foil tip or mast doing its evil.

ive got a Gath...thinking hard about breaking it out for winging, especially on downwinders...the wipeouts are violent and fast and I've seen the board land foil up repeatedly. It usually gets blownor pitched over from there. It'd take an eye out very easily.

Seriously though, best protection is to leave your wallet at home when you go to the foil dealer.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
The bump cap is ok, not much protection in there, just slightly better than nothing IMHO.

These look like they might work pretty well

or a cheap knock off version
So far in one year I got 5 staples on back of my head and last week 9 stitches on my forehead. Ordering a hat bump cap thing. Seems like it would help but it’s too small for my bald fat stubborn head. Interested in other options. I’ll check these out. Though I think a hard helmet shell is the way to go.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
So far in one year I got 5 staples on back of my head and last week 9 stitches on my forehead. Ordering a hat bump cap thing. Seems like it would help but it’s too small for my bald fat stubborn head. Interested in other options. I’ll check these out. Though I think a hard helmet shell is the way to go.
ouch. yes protect your noggin.
funny though from many moons of surfing it was my face that suffered
the major smackos. i'd prob get a helmet only to break my nose.....for the...
fifth time.
:(

Reactions: Kaser1 and surfdad
May 15, 2017
Foilers talking about heads hitting the board
but no one talking about why they board isn't skinned with Cush skin like Spacesticks?
Spacesticks even have memory foam under the skin on the rails
A few rippers have prototypes in Hawaii
Sky Rama, from Maui, has a model made by them in his videos
Drawback is they gotta be ordered custom and takes a while
but worth it
They are also making a production run of wing boards coming out in April

www.wingsurfboards.com