Let's Talk Foil Safety

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Foilers talking about heads hitting the board
but no one talking about why they board isn't skinned with Cush skin like Spacesticks?
Spacesticks even have memory foam under the skin on the rails
A few rippers have prototypes in Hawaii
Sky Rama, from Maui, has a model made by them in his videos
Drawback is they gotta be ordered custom and takes a while
but worth it
They are also making a production run of wing boards coming out in April

www.wingsurfboards.com
Yeah nah, foilers generally aren’t talking about hitting the board...we are worried about the foil hitting us. That’s the obvious takeaway when you have a solid 80cm mast and sharpened carbon model aeroplane strapped under your board.

• Haha
Reactions: sozzle and surfdad

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Yeah nah, foilers generally aren’t talking about hitting the board...we are worried about the foil hitting us. That’s the obvious takeaway when you have a solid 80cm mast and sharpened carbon model aeroplane strapped under your board.
we get hit and we still keep foiling. addicted!!! fun morning session. still havent found a helmet I'm happy with.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Tell you what, I got a GL120 tip right in the tit today. Fell on it from a great height. It’s going to look like blue waffle tomorrow.

Aug 28, 2020

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
So my mate with the soft helmet copped an errant board in the noggin. I think it was a blunt part but it did ring his bell nicely. He had a headache and a great big egg above the hairline.

Looked like an undescended testicle

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’m sure it did vs a direct impact, but i think a hard helmet would’ve spread the energy away from the impact site a bit better.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I got a cap but I don't like how it fits. one size and it is slightly too small. thinking about cutting slits in it to allow it to stretch over my fat bald head. anyone try this?

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
As this thread resurfaced, reminded me of this recent bad news: http://instagr.am/p/CLCBoZMqD2a/
Be careful foiling in shallow spots! I have experienced grounding on a shallow reef, it's worse than catching bottom surfing, as you fall from more height and may be going faster, greater risk of injury.

Also be careful jumping off in wipeouts, as a head first dive in the unlucky wrong spot = spinal fracture. There's a guy here on vancouver island who broke his neck diving from ankle keep into a river, murky water, didn't see the boulder right there. Big <ugh>.

Anyways play safe y'all.

Reactions: grendel95