Let's talk dream longboards

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My dream is to never have the waves get so small that I'm forced to longboard.

Barring that I like my 9'4 Justin Quintal rounded pin. It's the perfect mix of classic and modern.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
If you’re talking genuine “dream longboards”, you can do no wrong with Tyler Hatzikian. He’s a great surfer so he knows the design intricacies and he builds them start to finish with craftsmanship that is second to no one. This is my quiver from him, it ranges from a 10ft solid balsa Malibu Z-Chip to a 7’4 Magneato. These aren’t for the novice as they are glassed heavy and are shaped with very traditional design qualitiesView attachment 92962
And this is my newest longboard shaped by Ryan Burch and laminated by Alex(Superwolf)...again pretty much a dream longboard, imo. This one has slightly more range than my Tylers. It’s not as noseriding centric and is a quite a bit lighter, even with the double stringer setup. I prefer full round rails, single fins and quite a bit of tail rocker In my longboards
View attachment 92965

Serious quiver envy, how do you like the Magneato?

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
What are your guys thoughts on Dead Kooks Guerrero Model or Christenson Bandito? Be honest, are these models for LB kooks?
I’ve got a dead kooks nausea. It’s ace! It noserides super well in the pocket and it’s got great trim speed. It’s really fun to lay into the rail on a fade or cutback and is super loose with your feet over the fin. Medium weight. It prefers slightly faster waves.

I custom ordered and had a long chat with Eden. He’s super nice and very surf stoked. I was undecided between a nausea and a guerrero. His take was go guerrero if you want to ride it primarily off the tail, the nausea is a better noserider. ( the guerrero started as a modified nausea model )

Can’t comment on the Christensen bandito but ridden a dead sled which was a bit meh. Not bad but just an average log and not worth the cc premium imho. I think he’s a good shortboard shaper but plenty of other more exciting log shapers around.

Personally I’d be looking at a dead kooks, a thomas or a Michael takayama for something on the “cutting edge” modern log design - a LOT of the current crop of cool kids are on their boards (for a reason)

Of course it kinda depends what you actually want out of a longboard and how you want it to feel

Reactions: kool-aid

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I have a 9’4 DT2 shaped by the man himself. It has glass on side bites and a few miles on it. Found it online about 10-12 years ago. I can have as much fun on this as on any shorty or fish.
Its a beast!

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Dream longboard....
I'm pretty sure it'd be from jim Phillips.
He glues up his own stringers & it's pure insanity.

But in reality I'd probably get a Stamps

Reactions: MathDebater
Jan 30, 2014
Santa Cruz Mtns
Email Michel Junod and go see him after you surf in town. He will meet with you personally, listen to what you want, and is super nice guy that is sincere about customer service. Last board I got from him he said 4 weeks and it was 4 weeks. He's got in-house glassing that is fantastic. Color and logos will be exactly as asked for. Check out his Nowski.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My dream is to never have the waves get so small that I'm forced to longboard.
This ^^^^^^^. I'll also add that I wish longboarding would fall out of fashion like it did in the 80s.

That being said, the longboards in my house are a vintage Jim Phillips, a Bing David Nuuhiwa Nose Rider and a Stewart Redline 11. Best longboard I've ridden was a friend's Joel Tudor.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
+1 for junod. Lovely guy, very little ego, hugely experienced and will try hard to make you what you want not what you think you need. His shapes work and are a little cheaper than some other bigger names.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Junod isn't a bad idea. Was kind of hoping to be lazy and get something OTR but struggling a bit.
If you’re talking genuine “dream longboards”, you can do no wrong with Tyler Hatzikian. He’s a great surfer so he knows the design intricacies and he builds them start to finish with craftsmanship that is second to no one. This is my quiver from him, it ranges from a 10ft solid balsa Malibu Z-Chip to a 7’4 Magneato. These aren’t for the novice as they are glassed heavy and are shaped with very traditional design qualitiesView attachment 92962
And this is my newest longboard shaped by Ryan Burch and laminated by Alex(Superwolf)...again pretty much a dream longboard, imo. This one has slightly more range than my Tylers. It’s not as noseriding centric and is a quite a bit lighter, even with the double stringer setup. I prefer full round rails, single fins and quite a bit of tail rocker In my longboards
View attachment 92965

@waxurDyl how are you liking this Burch longboard?

A few just landed at my local shop and I'm thinking about going and taking a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: retodd

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Serious quiver envy, how do you like the Magneato?
The Magneato is a tricky one. It doesn’t paddle as well as you’d expect, given how flat the rocker is. But once you are on a wave it really is a blast. Just keep in mind it rides more like a mini longboard than an egg or midlength. It trims down the line in a stretch5 better than turning and making connections

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Junod isn't a bad idea. Was kind of hoping to be lazy and get something OTR but struggling a bit.

@waxurDyl how are you liking this Burch longboard?

A few just landed at my local shop and I'm thinking about going and taking a look.
If there’s one sized for you , I say do it. I’ve only had it out twice but was able to figure out its characteristics after a couple waves. First sesh was surfed cautiously, dialing it in and making sure not to lose the board, since I didn’t want a leash loop or cup. Second sesh I was surfing it much more free and going for more risky turns. After getting the feel for it during the first sesh it feels like my feet are ALWAYS in the sweet spot no matter what I’m doing on it.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
The Magneato is a tricky one. It doesn’t paddle as well as you’d expect, given how flat the rocker is. But once you are on a wave it really is a blast. Just keep in mind it rides more like a mini longboard than an egg or midlength. It trims down the line in a stretch5 better than turning and making connections

I had one, and it was exactly like you said, mine kinda rode like 10'0 pig. I kinda thought I was gonna get some mid length magic, egg/mini pig awesomeness, I could never get it to work right. I always wanted to try one of his min-zeke models too, but that will have to wait a few years.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I heard these boards are the $hit in the long board nose riding community. I know the guy that paints the diamond spears on the bottom of the board and who glasses and sands these. The boards looks insane in person.
I saw this guy at my local twice on this blue board and he surfed so ridiculously well on it, it made me
curious about what kind of board it was. I've never heard of Michael Surfboards before this thread...I"m obviously
out of the loop in the longboard community.

Reactions: ANIMA