Let's talk dream longboards

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
It's summer, the weather is getting better, small south swells are rolling through... let's talk about Longboards.

Finding myself on the longboard quite a bit as my GF decided she wanted to take up surfing and we've been heading to Santa Cruz often.

I don't love my current longboard and I think I'm ready for a change. Tell me about you dream setups, current setups, shapes, shapers, sizes, fins etc.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Really like my CB bonzer 5 fin ewing pintail lb great for trim at local beachbreak and easy cheater 5's goes super fast.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
If you’re talking genuine “dream longboards”, you can do no wrong with Tyler Hatzikian. He’s a great surfer so he knows the design intricacies and he builds them start to finish with craftsmanship that is second to no one. This is my quiver from him, it ranges from a 10ft solid balsa Malibu Z-Chip to a 7’4 Magneato. These aren’t for the novice as they are glassed heavy and are shaped with very traditional design qualities388D425A-72A1-4C62-A44F-2B0E512FE655.jpeg
And this is my newest longboard shaped by Ryan Burch and laminated by Alex(Superwolf)...again pretty much a dream longboard, imo. This one has slightly more range than my Tylers. It’s not as noseriding centric and is a quite a bit lighter, even with the double stringer setup. I prefer full round rails, single fins and quite a bit of tail rocker In my longboards
061AE6BC-56D9-4C1D-932A-2664CD424CEA.jpeg

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I had one of waxurdyl's old Tylers for a few years and it was a pretty amazing board. If I had the cash and wanted a log, I would go that direction again.

Reactions: jkb and waxurDyl

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
What are your guys thoughts on Dead Kooks Guerrero Model or Christenson Bandito? Be honest, are these models for LB kooks?

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I had a couple of Jim Phillips, a Van Velzer and a Wildcat, they were both sweet. I think I'd go with another Phillips, probably another wildcat in eps.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Maybe go see Bob Pearson while your in Santa Cruz? I've been seeing a lot of Arrows around lately, he must be back onto something. If he ever wasn't IDK.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
What are your guys thoughts on Dead Kooks Guerrero Model or Christenson Bandito? Be honest, are these models for LB kooks?
Dead Kooks make incredible boards - all lengths. I had a long talk with Eden Saul, who's the shaper there, and he really knows his sh!t and is so surf stoked. I'd be more interested in his Merch Pin, but then I have zero interest in noseriding.

This is what I'd really like, though:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
If you’re talking genuine “dream longboards”, you can do no wrong with Tyler Hatzikian. He’s a great surfer so he knows the design intricacies and he builds them start to finish with craftsmanship that is second to no one. This is my quiver from him, it ranges from a 10ft solid balsa Malibu Z-Chip to a 7’4 Magneato. These aren’t for the novice as they are glassed heavy and are shaped with very traditional design qualitiesView attachment 92962
And this is my newest longboard shaped by Ryan Burch and laminated by Alex(Superwolf)...again pretty much a dream longboard, imo. This one has slightly more range than my Tylers. It’s not as noseriding centric and is a quite a bit lighter, even with the double stringer setup. I prefer full round rails, single fins and quite a bit of tail rocker In my longboards
View attachment 92965
oh hell man of course you have a quiver of Tyler's :ROFLMAO:

But dang :shaka::drowning:

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
If you’re talking genuine “dream longboards”, you can do no wrong with Tyler Hatzikian. He’s a great surfer so he knows the design intricacies and he builds them start to finish with craftsmanship that is second to no one. This is my quiver from him, it ranges from a 10ft solid balsa Malibu Z-Chip to a 7’4 Magneato. These aren’t for the novice as they are glassed heavy and are shaped with very traditional design qualitiesView attachment 92962
View attachment 92965
Would you please take your next day off to do a full quiver shot? I understand you‘ll have to hire some day labor to help With the setup, but we’d all really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Dream (cause he's RIP)
another couple versions of my 1990 custom Jim Turnbull shaped Country Surfboards longboard in different sizes 8'-10'

Jim Turnbull 10.jpg

Dream (because I'll need to justify it in my head)
Thruster/Quad fin with nose and tail channels
Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 07.42.51 - Edited.png
Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 07.43.38 - Edited.png