Let's talk dream longboards

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I saw this guy at my local twice on this blue board and he surfed so ridiculously well on it, it made me
curious about what kind of board it was. I've never heard of Michael Surfboards before this thread...I"m obviously
out of the loop in the longboard community.
His name is Michael Takayama. His uncle was Donald Takayama. I thought he had Takayama in his brand somewhere, but i dont know? I think there was a dispute with the family about the name "Takayama".

I only know about him because of the ding repair guy at XTR (Jerry). He says the Diamond Spear longboards from Michael Takayama are really gaining popularity in the longboard community.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
I’m pretty sure his son kaimana handles the orders/ emails etc. I don’t think he shapes a tonne of boards though. @veedster does some work there too - he had an insta post months back saying to contact him for orders.
Maybe dm all three on Instagram and see if you get a response.
I certainly think they’re some Of the most interesting logs out there at the moment and they look like they work insane.

Reactions: ANIMA

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
BTW pulled the trigger on a 9'3 Burch that was maybe a little bit smaller than I wanted but should still work well in the conditions I plan on using it in. The board is an absolute stunner.

Definitely want to add something a bit bigger, say a 9'6 from either Dead Kooks or Michael Takayama some time in the future but probably not till next season.

Pics coming soon.

caramel_Sea

Michael Peterson status
May 29, 2008
www.flickr.com
Two type of rocker work in a classic log for noseriding with completely different feelings
medium tail rocker with medium nose rocker 'balanced flowing turns and soft noserides'
high tail rocker and low nose rocker 'super tight turns and stiff noserides'
I like the latter