Length &/or Volume --> Getting old...

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
The body inevitably starts slowing down, less flexibility and strength, range of motion, more pain etc. A combination of additional length/width/volume is needed.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Cris Mills has a really good article on "pop-ups," basically a pretty involved active warm-up, followed by series push-up to pop-ups.
+1 - also i lot of good movement type stretches and tissue work to free up shoulders/hips. I finding the more i use a foam roller after working out or surfing - the quicker i recover from muscle tightness and more mobility i have.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
fk foam rolling. try a percussion massager
Yeah there is no way foam rolling is going to manipulate soft tissue like a good deep tissue massage. Foam rolling and SMR is still worth doing, along with a good stretching (static stretches) routine, for myself it's kind of like a holistic anti-inflammatory.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Triggerpoint canes. These are very good for manipulating deep tissue and releasing muscle tension. I always throw one in the board bag for surf trips. After long multi session days they are perfect for getting the back and shoulders right for the next day.

Reactions: flyinraptr

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Triggerpoint canes. These are very good for manipulating deep tissue and releasing muscle tension. I always throw one in the board bag for surf trips. After long multi session days they are perfect for getting the back and shoulders right for the next day.
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered one.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This has helped me a lot with the hips and legs: http://integrativeworks.com/self-care-releasing-hip-trigger-points-with-a-tennis-ball/

I use one of these to work out the knots in my shoulders, back and neck. I wish I had found about about this 10 years earlier. This thing is like magic for me. I used to get knots in my back after surfing that would turn into full blown spasms from my shoulder to the base of my skull and 2 or 3 weeks of agony with my neck locked up. Now, the instant I feel a knot starting I work it out with this or a tennis ball and it usually eliminates the knot immediately or at the worst within a couple of days of mild discomfort instead of 2 or 3 weeks of agony. Probably the best $8 I've ever spent.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Ricknj

OTF status
Feb 29, 2008
nj
SEROUSLY WHY NOT JUST GET A LONGBOARD
surfing small gutless waves in NJ on a 5' something plank just doesn't cut it
if its small ride a longboard if its big ride a performance board, pretty simple imo

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I have longboards. Right now there are 4 of them in my house. One vintage, two modern classic style and one Stewart performance. Quite frankly I don't really enjoy riding a longboard all that much. I'll ride them when I get the urge to (usually in the summer to cool off on a hot day or in pure desperation to get in the water even though its thigh high in the winter) but I don't get excited to go ride a longboard.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've found since I got my 7'0 egg, I never ride my 9'4 longboard. Egg lets me do carvy turns and has way more range. Works both as a longboard substitute on smaller days and an alternative to shortboard on bigger days.In the winter when I'm in a 5/4 boots/gloves/hood I sometimes take it out on bigger days and always have a blast. Also since I get more waves I surf shorter sessions which is less wear and tear on my body. Don't have the talent to ride it when it's bombing but I bet it would be fun except for it not duck diving.

Reactions: bigglesworth
Jul 20, 2008
+1 on a VS Manta. I'm 48 and got mine about 2 years ago and it reignited my surfing. I went a little over sized with mine and no regrets.

Reactions: pagey

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
im only about to be 30 but my lower back was screaming when I surfed a 5'5" in ways it didn't on the 5'9"
Debating if I really want to pick up another stubby, or just stretch one out for a small wave boar and shave off some width

Will try some of these methods, the foam rollers didn't seem to do much for me