Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
You’re wrong man! That is the problem. There’s a huge misunderstanding, and distorted point of view. This appears to be what people think which is not true. The labor might be cheap but the materials are not. The construction is incredible! It really is innovative and a carefully thought out build. What’s funny is most of you people on here that talk crap about their boards have never tried them or even looked closely into how they are made. You just throw it in with all of the other overseas boards and assume they’re junk. I’ve never heard so many people talk about a brand that they have no experience riding as much as people do on here.
I'm a kneeboarder and bodysurfer for the most part. So my opinion doesn't account for much as I have to get custom since there are no OTR options for me.... My stand up boards are all by local guys. My sons boards are all from local guys. Most of these guys do offer alternative builds. Some of them have been experimenting with them long before Firewire came to be.
I was fortunate enough to get a couple of post Clark EPS/Epoxy Parabolic boards from a life long friend that were magic up 1.5 OH. Absolute rockets and there wasn't any other board like it in the line up.
We get that you are super stocked on your trip. But you have to understand that your outlook is based on a smaller window of experience than some others.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It’s almost like you’re trying to say that if FireWire boards were built by a small local craftsman here in the US, it would be acceptable and OK. But if the boards are built overseas, they are cheap and equivalent to IKEA. Lol. Pretty ridiculous point of view.

The construction is complex to make no matter if it’s built overseas or here in the US. It’s still complicated and still innovative and still a good build with good materials.
Any complex construction can be done by anyone that has access to the materials and has the discipline to follow the instructions. "Alt tech" Firewire surfboards made in Asia are no different than all other cheap products made in Asia. They are massed produced by cheap labor then shipped all over the world in containers to be thrown away in a year or two.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Any complex construction can be done by anyone that has access to the materials and has the discipline to follow the instructions. "Alt tech" Firewire surfboards made in Asia are no different than all other cheap products made in Asia. They are massed produced by cheap labor then shipped all over the world in containers to be thrown away in a year or two.
You’re wrong and I’ll tell you why. Most Firewire Surfboards outlast other EPS or poly construction boards by at least 5 years. I’m not sure if there’s any long-term data, but Firewire Surfboards are extremely durable. So much so that they barely have heal dents within the first year or two of use. Compared to POLY and EPS that get them within a year or less. So you saying it’s trash that gets thrown away in 1 to 2 years is wrong.

As for them being no different than all the other Asian made products, that’s not true either. It is a EPS core with high density, foam, rails and high density foam stringer down the middle, with vacuum bag epoxy, sandwich, construction, which is then finished with a top layer skin. It’s extremely high tech and difficult to build, which is why it has been outsourced overseas. The time, labor, and materials would be so expensive. They would probably sell for close to $2,000. It’s a very good build! Just because it’s made overseas doesn’t mean it’s cheap or less-than in performance.

And again, you’ve never ridden one or explored how they’re made. Yet you and everyone else have so much negative to say about them.

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You’re wrong and I’ll tell you why. Most Firewire Surfboards outlast other EPS or poly construction boards by at least 5 years. I’m not sure if there’s any long-term data, but Firewire Surfboards are extremely durable. So much so that they barely have healed ends within the first year or two of use. Compared to Paul Lee and EPS that get them within a year or less. So you saying it’s trash that gets thrown away in 1 to 2 years is wrong.

As for them being no different than all the other Asian made products, that’s not true either. It is a EPS core with high density, foam, rails and high density foam stringer down the middle, with vacuum bag epoxy, sandwich, construction, which is then finished with a top layer skin. It’s extremely high tech and difficult to build, which is why it has been outsourced overseas. The time, labor, and materials would be so expensive. They would probably sell for close to $2000. It’s a very good build! Just because it’s made overseas doesn’t mean it’s cheap or less-than in performance.

And again, you’ve never ridden one or explored how they’re made. Yet you and everyone else have so much negative to say about them.
You some kind of lobbyist?
Yes I have explored how they are made by inspecting the broken ones I've seen on the beach. Senor Sopa's builds are equally as complex....
Have I ridden one, no, my son has though. He works at a surf shop that sells them and the owner let's him demo all the new tech. He says they're interesting but not interesting enough to spend his money on. That is the opinion of an open minded 22 YO so take it for what it is...

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
You’re wrong and I’ll tell you why. Most Firewire Surfboards outlast other EPS or poly construction boards by at least 5 years. I’m not sure if there’s any long-term data, but Firewire Surfboards are extremely durable.
Absolutely tripping cuz.

Shitekloads of FW's are yellow before they even get out the shop.

They get destroyed by the rocks here and are no durable than an OTR poly.

LFT, in particular, is a weak build.

I think that is the primary reason they are less popular in the market here now compared to 5 years ago.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You’re wrong and I’ll tell you why. Most Firewire Surfboards outlast other EPS or poly construction boards by at least 5 years. I’m not sure if there’s any long-term data, but Firewire Surfboards are extremely durable.
First off that's a pretty weird assertion to make, especially when admit you don't have any data.

In other words, you're just throwing out baseless claims.

So much so that they barely have healed ends within the first year or two of use. Compared to Paul Lee and EPS that get them within a year or less. So you saying it’s trash that gets thrown away in 1 to 2 years is wrong.
Don't you have like 10 different boards in rotation at once?

I have a hard time taking any advice about a board's durability from guys here who constantly have boards in rotation.

I want to know about durability from guys like myself who spend a year or two or more riding the same board 80% of the time.

I'm pretty open minded and I've had one experience with FW, a board I bought new at an extreme discount... the only board I ever had of worse quality construction were Rusty.

And FWIW the ding repair guys will tell you they're crap.

As for them being no different than all the other Asian made products, that’s not true either. It is a EPS core with high density, foam, rails and high density foam stringer down the middle, with vacuum bag epoxy, sandwich, construction, which is then finished with a top layer skin. It’s extremely high tech
I hate to tell you but none of that stuff is high tech.

and difficult to build, which is why it has been outsourced overseas. The time, labor, and materials would be so expensive. They would probably sell for close to $2000.
Difficult to build...expensive... increased labor and materials costs... none of that means a better product.

It’s a very good build! Just because it’s made overseas doesn’t mean it’s cheap or less-than in performance. And again, you’ve never ridden one or explored how they’re made. Yet you and everyone else have so much negative to say about them.
In my experience it's product that tilts towards the below average end of the spectrum.

The difference between FW and other boards of this caliber is the profit margins are huge on FW because they are built overseas, further they use specific business practices in attempt to corner the market with their sub-par product. Not a superior product, but an inferior product.

Negative viewpoints seem to come from people who
a) have a negative view of FW's business practices
b) have had negative experiences with their product
c) have a negative view of Mark Price, who routinely spews BS like "FW doesn't yellow".

Last edited:
Reactions: surfwhere

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
@ReForest has zero.0000000 surf industry experience. He is a biased consumer of limited surfing experience in regards to skill and years of involvement. His love for the "flex"in Firewire tech and fairly easy to ride boards with the addition of this site provides him an opportunity to share his thoughts on such matters. His comments about these things may have some value if you share similar attributes. Outside of that, all other comments about the surf industry here are based on his desire to be accepted in a different hierarchy and not considered a kook. For example he made previous statements on skateboarding. He wasn't alive when the early parks were bulldozed and he was around 9 maybe when the real collapse happened. He didn't work in a shop that had hundreds of decks at the time and hosting large events to going out of business shortly after. He did not feel that pain. It is something he read about, not experienced. If you want an experienced and informed opinion read what @Sharky has to say.
is it kkookyhomomansex that im inclinded to take sides and agree?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You’re wrong and I’ll tell you why. Most Firewire Surfboards outlast other EPS or poly construction boards by at least 5 years. I’m not sure if there’s any long-term data, but Firewire Surfboards are extremely durable. So much so that they barely have healed ends within the first year or two of use. Compared to Paul Lee and EPS that get them within a year or less. So you saying it’s trash that gets thrown away in 1 to 2 years is wrong.

As for them being no different than all the other Asian made products, that’s not true either. It is a EPS core with high density, foam, rails and high density foam stringer down the middle, with vacuum bag epoxy, sandwich, construction, which is then finished with a top layer skin. It’s extremely high tech and difficult to build, which is why it has been outsourced overseas. The time, labor, and materials would be so expensive. They would probably sell for close to $2000. It’s a very good build! Just because it’s made overseas doesn’t mean it’s cheap or less-than in performance.

Show footage of fireturd with ibolic or any turd tech at pipeline, skeleton bay, sunset, indo tubes "desert point etc :shrug: Plenty of stretch footage and most have different glass schedules custom to liking of rider for flex and strength.

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
small penis guy said:
I want to know about durability from guys like myself who spend a year or two or more riding the same board 80% of the time.
I rode a 5'6 cymatic a lot for about a year and a half. It yellowed but only because I left it in a hot car many times. When I sold it it had no dings and only very faint pressure dents on the deck.

Slater on a 5'3 cymatic...

Reactions: ReForest

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Lots of Slater and J Dorian footage but those made custom most most time, can't confirm always match consumer construction, likely not. They get made to fit like Stretch plus other brands' riders and customers.
Exact point fireturd high tech @ReForest thinks so highly of is not ridden by top riders including slater on top waves while other brands including stretch you can ride same tech etc and experience same flex, strength, durability etc as any other joe pro.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Why does Slater get custom boards?

Why does the cofounder of Firewire say talk to your shaper for custom fit and get made locally?
If you noticed shared a variety of non top pros surfing heavy to high performance waves. Slater, Curren, Occy, Iron, etc.. could surf a door better then you and I could surf any board custom or otr yet top pros still go custom.

Reactions: surfwhere