Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Is shitt really that bad out there gents?

Feels like FW washed through the market and is now sitting way down in the mix.

I spent the day yesterday surfing one of Australias best Pointbreaks- I saw a couple of Aus's best shapers hanging out, tons of shredding. Got a couple of bombs myself.

Did not see a FW in the line-up all day.

Plenty of Pyzels, DHD's, JS's and local shapes.

No asian pop-outs.
http://instagr.am/p/CkPTogRp5wl/
They're all over the place in the states.

It depends on where you are too.

For instance, I rarely see them at Lowers but they are everywhere in San Diego.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Cry me a river @surfwhere. I guess when your argument fails, and the truth is too hard to face, age is all you have left to brag about. Just because I'm younger doesn't mean what I'm saying isn't true.

Also, I was 9 when I started skating in Elementary School. I had a few small clothing sponsors and board sponsors in my later youth. I attended and participated in demos in front of skateshops with hundreds of people throwing product out to the crowds. There were no skateparks when I started skating - so friends and I would make our own ramps, boxes, rails, etc. I can't even count the number of half pipes, mini ramps, quarter pipes, and boxes I've made in my lifetime. I had friends that owned clothing companies and large skate board deck companies. I love skating and was greatly involved in the skate industry and watched it explode and become what it is now.

I'm not really concerned with being accepted. Skaters were never accepted! I surf because it's something that I love to do and it challenges me in a way that keeps me coming back for more and more.

Just to set the record straight.
just to set the record straight, carlsbad skatepark opened in 1976.

you seem immature for a guy who's 55+

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
You forgot to mention the $950 dollar leather jacket, the $100 facial lotion, $200 sandals etc.

"Hey, we haven't figured out how to glass a surfboard, but check out our $400 boutique sweater!"

I think this review of a local boardmaker that recently opened sums up the current state of surfers best:

"Everything here is spot-on perfect. From the decor, vibe, and merchandise, to the delicious smoothies/drinks (the iced matcha is phenomenal) …. Oh and of course, the INSANELY GORGEOUS BOARDS that the (name withheld) team designs, shapes, and paints themselves. So impressed with this new spot!"

So that's where we are. The Firewire business model alongside popup expert shapers that have great matcha.

The future is bright.

Maurice may shape a decent board but does he even offer a artesenal coffee AT LEAST when you place an order?
It may well be the insecure, self conscious lower middle-class 16 year old in me, but I can't walk into a shop like that.

For me it's analogous to those boutique shops you see in the mall with only a few garments here and there - I know I can't afford clothes there, the shop attendants know it, and I'd feel a great sense of unease of not belonging.

The very few new boards I grew up getting ( mostly went into a shaper's shop to get dings fixed), the shapers shop was dingy, they drank beer at 10 in the morning and sh!t was never done on time.
I'm not suggesting that this is the right way to do business, but on a continuum of customer experience, my preferences are much closer aligned to this than getting soy in coffee while getting a board.

Just cringey to hear an American use Aussie or UK slang.
Personally don't think so, but I get where you're coming from - it's the same thing hearing Aussie youth using American slang - gives me the shits

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Im lost as to reforests position at this point other than "FW good". There are so many shapers in Ca right now making amazing custom boards it seems like a waste of $$ to buy something off the rack as opposed to a board made for you, other than the convenience of having it NOW. Plan ahead a bit, call a guy like Ryan Sakal and talk to him about what youre looking for in a board for the late winter. Reforest at least you are getting to be a more proficient surfer as per the videos you post on insta, I bet working through a few boards with a guy like Stamps would really help iron a few things out. In terms of accent oddly enough ozzy ozzbournes cant do a nynj accent, ever, and they try a lot when they come here...its like nails on a chalkboard.

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
It may well be the insecure, self conscious lower middle-class 16 year old in me, but I can't walk into a shop like that.

For me it's analogous to those boutique shops you see in the mall with only a few garments here and there - I know I can't afford clothes there, the shop attendants know it, and I'd feel a great sense of unease of not belonging.

The very few new boards I grew up getting ( mostly went into a shaper's shop to get dings fixed), the shapers shop was dingy, they drank beer at 10 in the morning and sh!t was never done on time.
I'm not suggesting that this is the right way to do business, but on a continuum of customer experience, my preferences are much closer aligned to this than getting soy in coffee while getting a board.

Personally don't think so, but I get where you're coming from - it's the same thing hearing Aussie youth using American slang - gives me the shits
anyone ever get boards from Bob Clayberger in HB? he would be the prototypical burnout shaper. he lived in a long gone trailer park behind what is now Dairy Queen. lots of kids at my high school got boards from him. I ordered mine for the summer in April and got it after school started. things are better.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Cry me a river @surfwhere. I guess when your argument fails, and the truth is too hard to face, age is all you have left to brag about. Just because I'm younger doesn't mean what I'm saying isn't true.

Also, I was 9 when I started skating in Elementary School. I had a few small clothing sponsors and board sponsors in my later youth. I attended and participated in demos in front of skateshops with hundreds of people throwing product out to the crowds. There were no skateparks when I started skating - so friends and I would make our own ramps, boxes, rails, etc. I can't even count the number of half pipes, mini ramps, quarter pipes, and boxes I've made in my lifetime. I had friends that owned clothing companies and large skate board deck companies. I love skating and was greatly involved in the skate industry and watched it explode and become what it is now.

I'm not really concerned with being accepted. Skaters were never accepted! I surf because it's something that I love to do and it challenges me in a way that keeps me coming back for more and more.

Just to set the record straight.
I've nothing to brag about but I do have life and work experience in some of the things Maurice discussed. All I did was ask you to provide some basics about yourself that would give you a leg to stand on for your poppycock opinions about the industry and Maurice who has such a long long resume. Instead you easily discuss your skateboarding life (brag?) though you said it was a waste of time to do the same for surfing.

As far as skaters never accepted? It was in the Olympics not too long ago.

Stoked you love surfing. Not stoked you talk out of your ass about it sometimes.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Im lost as to reforests position at this point other than "FW good". There are so many shapers in Ca right now making amazing custom boards it seems like a waste of $$ to buy something off the rack as opposed to a board made for you, other than the convenience of having it NOW. Plan ahead a bit, call a guy like Ryan Sakal and talk to him about what youre looking for in a board for the late winter. Reforest at least you are getting to be a more proficient surfer as per the videos you post on insta, I bet working through a few boards with a guy like Stamps would really help iron a few things out. In terms of accent oddly enough ozzy ozzbournes cant do a nynj accent, ever, and they try a lot when they come here...its like nails on a chalkboard.
My position is that I think it’s silly for Maurice to blame whatever he thinks is happening to the surf industry on 1 man and 1 company. I also think it’s silly that his agent or his fan or whatever, is saying that I’m too young and too inexperienced to have an opinion that’s worth consideration.

Thank you for the compliment on surfing. The soloshot is an amazing tool. But Tomo's board have helped a lot too. Nobody else is shaping the kind of boards he's shaping (not talking about the El Tomo or the Shortboards). His designs are very cutting edge.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
You need to read more interviews and listen to the podcasts. He doesn't just blame Firewire. He did in the instances that I quoted because they were in reference to an article about Firewire having a sale. He might have had a bunch of wine when he wrote them. But, Kelly didn't really have to have to have to invest in FW. Could have been lesser knowns like some of the other Asian glass shops. Might not have hurt some feelings as bad.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

most of those small boutique shops are for money laundering

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
My position is that I think it’s silly for Maurice to blame whatever he thinks is happening to the surf industry on 1 man and 1 company. I also think it’s silly that his agent or his fan or whatever, is saying that I’m too young and too inexperienced to have an opinion that’s worth consideration.

Thank you for the compliment on surfing. The soloshot is an amazing tool. But Tomo's board have helped a lot too. Nobody else is shaping the kind of boards he's shaping (not talking about the El Tomo or the Shortboards). His designs are very cutting edge.
Just had a surf with Hilton, looked he had some new design.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
That park sucked!
Actually for the time, it was pretty cool. They buried it in 1979. We had to beg for one of our parents to make the drive up there. Fortunately, Oasis was open and closer to home.

Surfboards are like cabinetry. You can order high end local craftsman made or cheap crap from Asia (and locally too). It's up to the consumer to decide what cabinets they want. I'm partial to local craftsman made myself.