Leaving for Costa Rica Fri - 6/17

Yipeee!! First time. I've read the books and old posts. But, is there anything outta the norm I should bring? We are heading down towards Domincal. How about booties? Urchins?? My buddy said we would looked stupid in shorts and booties. I don't care. He can pick urchins out while I'm having a cold one...

rlh1919

Nep status
Mar 30, 2005
I don't know about urchins and booties I've only surfed the northern part of Costa Rica but have fun man, hope you get some great waves, I love it there, good people and food.

Jun 9, 2005
Excited for you, its a really fun place. went maybe two years ago, right at the begining of summer, and we first ended up in Hermosa. It kind of caught us off guard though, cause day to day, the waves would be anywhere from a foot over head to double over head. And this often took place during the same session. Anyway, the place was all close outs, and we just got eaten alive trying to surf the place. then came along this kid Travis, traveling by himself, with a car, and the three of us all hitched a ride with him down to Pavones. But my point being, we stopped at Domincal for lunch that afternoon, and while i only saw it breaking on one certain beach, i looked twice as heavy as Hermosa, and was some of the heaviest close outs i have ever seen. And again, that was two years ago, and i just saw it that afternoon. But from what i can gather, those storms just spin offshore during the summer, sending in surf that places like Hersoma and Domincal dont handle that well. really need some more input, from someone other than myself. but i know when we went, we kind of wished we had known hermosa would be closing out so much, so that we could have sort of directed our travels elsewhere (in Cr). Lucked out with Pavones though, and i dont know how often that place breaks in the early summer, but it was worth the risk of sitting with no surf for the whole trip, ok maybe not, but see wht other chime in with.