Leash recommendations

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I like Creatures too. Superlite's been fine for me. I would usually go with a comp 90% of the time, but I use the standard size of the Superlite just to be safe because they feel so light. Use a regular black Creatures for good waves. They do get tangled tho.
I get tangles no matter which brand. Guess I should stop throwing them in the back of the car in a heap.
I also want to try the tangle-free XM but don't remember seeing one in the local shops.

I have a ProLite too. Seems alright.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm still searching. Leashes find their way under my back foot so often.

Stay covered - velcro was crap in a few sessions. I liked the leash material though. It feels like it's made out of something slightly softer than the usual leash and retains less memory. Willing to give them another shot if they've improved their velcro.

CI hex leash - edges can actually be kind of sharp. Cant say if there was any less tangling or not.

XM tangle free - it was a kelp catcher

FCS, Dakine, Creatures, XM comp leashes - All the same crap in my book. Always seem to retain memory in the worst way.

I've heard @ghostshaper talk about dipping your leash in boiling water to relieve some of that memory (I hope I'm getting that right), but that's too much work for me. I just want a fvcking leash that doesn't tangle in the first place.
:cursing:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm still searching. Leashes find their way under my back foot so often.

Stay covered - velcro was crap in a few sessions. I liked the leash material though. It feels like it's made out of something slightly softer than the usual leash and retains less memory. Willing to give them another shot if they've improved their velcro.

CI hex leash - edges can actually be kind of sharp. Cant say if there was any less tangling or not.

XM tangle free - it was a kelp catcher

FCS, Dakine, Creatures, XM comp leashes - All the same crap in my book. Always seem to retain memory in the worst way.

I've heard @ghostshaper talk about dipping your leash in boiling water to relieve some of that memory (I hope I'm getting that right), but that's too much work for me. I just want a fvcking leash that doesn't tangle in the first place.
:cursing:
Wasn't me, but someone suggested that to me. I have the same tangling problem. I hang it as soon as I get it and never wrap it. Still tangles. Remember there used to be some brands that didn't wrap them and we'd just hang them from a peg in the shop. Should all be that way.

Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The CI Hex cord leash doesn't tangle as much.
That is the worst leash ive ever owned. The hex drags in the water. I could physically feel the drag from the leash. I will never get anything other than a round cord on a leash. The hex is a design flaw (IMO).
When I first put on my hex leash, it felt like it was creating some drag behind me in the water. But now I don't notice. Not sure if I'm just used to it, or maybe the salt water smoothed off the edges.
it definitely has drag. Its a stupid design. Round cord or bust!

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
sure, but does it tangle?...
LOL
Also, you really need to work on forming some stronger opinions!
:LOL:
That is the worst leash ive ever owned. The hex drags in the water. I could physically feel the drag from the leash. I will never get anything other than a round cord on a leash. The hex is a design flaw (IMO).

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
haha oh Reforest

TOMOS ARE THE BEST
FIREWIRE IS COOL
HEX LEASHES SUCK
TWIN PLUS TRAILERS ARE DUMB
:nana:

anyways, I've been using CI hex leashes for years now and I like em b/c they don't twist or tangle. Don't really feel increased drag in the water, but maybe I'm just not going fast enough because I don't ride Tomos :p

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I got a hex super comp for days I could be leashless but don’t want to take out a kid on playing along the shore with a runaway boar.

it feels like surging najed

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

I got reforest's back. the hex cord is the worst surf product I've ever owmed

phu king whoribul

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
You bros clearly did not get suckered into an FCS freedom leash. THAT was objectively the. worst. surf. product...
Ever! However awful the hex is, I promise it’s no contest.
The man speaks the truth! I bought two (right when the hit the shops) and knew within 10 minutes of using one of them that they were absolute garbage. Luckily they were a hot commodity for a half second and I actually made a few bucks selling them on CL.

Reactions: oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The man speaks the truth! I bought two (right when the hit the shops) and knew within 10 minutes of using one of them that they were absolute garbage. Luckily they were a hot commodity for a half second and I actually made a few bucks selling them on CL.
My buddy had his freedom leash wrap around his board on a heavy wipeout. It somehow cinched down and cut through one rail all the way to the stringer. Never seen that before!

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My Freedom experience was the antithesis of its namesake. I've never been so aware of a leash's resistance just swishing my legs around waiting for waves. The stand-off is ridiculously extended, but I still managed to get the cord stuck either under my foot or wedged between my front toe on almost half of my waves the first and only time I used it.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My buddy had his freedom leash wrap around his board on a heavy wipeout. It somehow cinched down and cut through one rail all the way to the stringer. Never seen that before!
it might as well be razor wire. I got rope burns. Almost no elasticity. Genius.
I guess what I'm saying is... would not recommend.

Reactions: Aruka

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Hah, it's like a support group for people who bought the freedom leash. I just wanted to believe I guess, but that leash stuck to me like static cling! That is by far the worst leash I've ever bought, a constant annoyance in the water, and was really one continuous, ongoing tangle.