Leash recommendations

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Ok ill stay away from the stay covered leashes and stick with my dakines.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
If you have a board rack and its against a wall, put some nails in above the rack and hook your leggy to it when the board is in the rack, that way it hangs straight and won't have memory coil.

I like to have a leggy on each board, for the wave size I usually surf.

I got this guy to make me a few last time I got a coupla fresh sticks : https://www.surfaids.com.au/ . They are absolutely excellent. Obviously it's a bit tougher over there, but maybe there's someone around making them properly. Otherwise O+E and Creatures are the better brands I've found.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Get a leash for each board and the velcro won't go as quick. :unsure:
Also don't wrap them around your fins.
Haven't wrapped my leash around my fins since I was around 13 years old. I was in the Bahamas and Willy Morris who was staying at the same resort told me " don't do that, only kooks do that" seeing me start to wrap my leash after we had just paddled in from surfing a fun spot on Eleuthera.

I have a leashes on all my boards, but ride the one that had the Creatures Superlite on it the most, probably why it's failing.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
If you have a board rack and its against a wall, put some nails in above the rack and hook your leggy to it when the board is in the rack, that way it hangs straight and won't have memory coil...
A shop guy just said this to me about 40 minutes ago. I'll give it a go.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Creatures for small waves & dd waves. Pros and cons with their new styles but generally still fine.

Dakine is probably by favorite for OBSF dd waves and step up waves. Too bad it seems like they're divesting their leash line :/

Stay covered for the big boy sh!t.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I bought a bunch of Hotlines just in time for this swell. Great for bigger boards, the tech is from the 80’s but these will not break at the cuff. I didn’t have a worry in my mind this last run. The look of Hotlines neoprene cuff is a bit of a bummer compared to the quilted, comforter look of probably all the competitors. I get it though, they are from Santa Cruz and live in full suits, no need for extra fluff.

I was always a Prolite fan, but this new design sucks. They are not the only ones using it. Comp leash, no worries. Regular waves, no problem, but might want to replace yearly or sooner. Around rocks, fark that.

I saw two other leashes break just like this cuff broke in the photo this past run. You‘re relying on such a small width of plastic to hold the swivel to the cuff. It is also flexing a ton (by design) which equals breakdown. Dumb design - planned obsolesense.

03C4E0D8-7B81-4783-A7BD-EFF25FA38FC2.jpeg

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Snapped two dakine leashes during that last run of swell. I had them for a few years already. I actually think they got sliced by my fins.

Reactions: MathDebater
Jul 20, 2008
XM Surf More leashes have been good to me. The tangle free leash with the little washer that's on the cord actually works really well.
XM-SURF-TANGLEFREE-REGULAR-BLACK_653b6fa9-ea86-480d-95ae-a9e7bed0424d_1800x1800.jpg

Reactions: Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

Thank me later

Reactions: Aruka and ChaseTMP

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
It appears only their big wave leashes ship to the US
Damn. I've got a few of the Premium One-XTs. 6, 7 and 8ft, and they've been flawless. The Coldwater version has a slightly longer cuff that fits better over winter wetties and booties.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think i got some of the o&e leashes that aren't available in US off ebay.

Kinda wanna try one of those XM tangle free ones now.

Reactions: oeste858

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Was out late last week and lineup was getting vaporized by clean up sets. Saw a guy swimming. Snapped leash about a foot from cuff. Hot pink Creatures. Mentioned Hotline.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Never tried one. Does the hex actually help? Dane prefers the regular cylindrical leash for some reason.
I can’t tell the difference. Got a couple hex on sale (really shitty color) and compared to same thickness round I just can’t feel any difference.

I think it’s just a gimmick.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I think i got some of the o&e leashes that aren't available in US off ebay.

Kinda wanna try one of those XM tangle free ones now.
My friend used the XM tangle free leashes and they absolutely did not tangle. But he did snap three of them and has not snapped any other leashes. Can't remember how they snapped and it is a small sample size of only three leashes so take it for what it's worth. Might have just been a bad run of production but who knows. Hell, my creatures comp leash has lasted YEARS and the OP hates his so who knows. Even my old one never snapped and I keep it as a backup.

Reactions: Aruka