Leash for foil

Nov 27, 2011
Standard 6ft leash, cut a wine cork in half and tape it so the leash goes through it. Adds just enough float that it doesn't get stuck under foil. Sometimes I feel it bouncing around but it doesn't bother me.
this is for sure the way to go. Keeps it from getting tangled in the foil but doesn’t get caught up around your toes like a coil. Enough drag to straighten it out behind while paddling without being an anchor.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Got a Kaohi double coil foil leash, hated it at first as it kept getting into my feet on whitewater takeoffs. Figured out you have to position the cuff with the leash just off the outside of your foot. Pretty rare now for it to bounce onto the deck now.

Kaohi is great up and riding, I don't feel it at all, even on touch downs.

A little pricey, but came fast in the mail and I'm not as bummed on wearing a leash foiling.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Got a Kaohi double coil foil leash, hated it at first as it kept getting into my feet on whitewater takeoffs. Figured out you have to position the cuff with the leash just off the outside of your foot. Pretty rare now for it to bounce onto the deck now.

Kaohi is great up and riding, I don't feel it at all, even on touch downs.

A little pricey, but came fast in the mail and I'm not as bummed on wearing a leash foiling.
Yea they are great leashes. Occasionally get it tangled in my toes but once up it is not even noticeable. You can also get them from a couple of the regulars down at Sano if you want to skip the mail.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Love the coil leash, HATE when it gets wrapped under, around, or through my foot/toes. Figure a coiled leash with a calf cuff would work better... but that's pure speculation. Anyone use one?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Love the coil leash, HATE when it gets wrapped under, around, or through my foot/toes. Figure a coiled leash with a calf cuff would work better... but that's pure speculation. Anyone use one?

I've seen guys use it. The kaohi double coil is supposed to help with that.

Is the Catalina classic going to add a foil division? Guys are starting to downwind regularly here.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Is the Catalina classic going to add a foil division? Guys are starting to downwind regularly here.
Hahahaha!!! Not likely to EVER be added.

I've been way digging all the wind of late. Wife and I are turning into wing foiling maniacs, but frankly we're complete noobs. I have yet to master the jibe, but I'm not giving up. Once I get that down, the adding straps and working on my jumps!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Hahahaha!!! Not likely to EVER be added.

I've been way digging all the wind of late. Wife and I are turning into wing foiling maniacs, but frankly we're complete noobs. I have yet to master the jibe, but I'm not giving up. Once I get that down, the adding straps and working on my jumps!

It's not as unlikely as it seems. Matt Coast and Dane Wilson will do it from the islands soon I bet. Matt goes prone which is the even more insane part. I was trying to learn but it's so frustrating I just bought a wind wing. Burke told me to come up to Ledbetter, but that seems far :)

Reactions: sh3
Aug 23, 2020
It's not as unlikely as it seems. Matt Coast and Dane Wilson will do it from the islands soon I bet. Matt goes prone which is the even more insane part. I was trying to learn but it's so frustrating I just bought a wind wing. Burke told me to come up to Ledbetter, but that seems far :)
It definitely happens but is somewhat a rare day where there's enough wind that fills in the entire channel sufficiently to keep foiling all the way across. That mostly happens with frontal winds associated with storms. Prevailing NW winds are poor direction for that particular race course. The best most consistent downwind spots along SoCal coast are mostly isolated local winds that depend on topography - wrap around points/headlands etc.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Burke's good people. Come on up and ask for Steve (the guy with Chris). I think I'm the only Steve. There are about 500 different Chris's on any given day, but mine is female.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Burke's good people. Come on up and ask for Steve (the guy with Chris). I think I'm the only Steve. There are about 500 different Chris's on any given day, but mine is female.
I bought boards from you years ago. Met off the freeway in Simi. I bet I could pick you out of a lineup :)

Mondos is about as far North as I make it. I have dreams of winging in waves though, so might just struggle through the learning process. Or continue going to the West wind protected spots I've been foiling for 3 years now. :)

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I don’t use a leash as I’ve found foils don’t float and run on the surface like a surfboard does. If I fall off the foil tends to bog and dive into the water and doesnt go more than a few metres even in bigger surf. I also stay away from other surfers. Never had or caused an injury with a foil.

Aug 28, 2020
I don’t use a leash as I’ve found foils don’t float and run on the surface like a surfboard does. If I fall off the foil tends to bog and dive into the water and doesnt go more than a few metres even in bigger surf. I also stay away from other surfers. Never had or caused an injury with a foil.
I predict you will find this is not the case. We don't use a leash when wake foiling and on a windy day it can be a royal pain in the ass to chase down a runaway foil board. When your board eventually catches a swell it will run way faster than you can swim. Best wishes

I've been using a Kaohi 5' straight leash (no coil) and I love it. I wondered what the handle was all about but now I get it. This leash pretty much never tangles even on chaotic wingfoil crashes.

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I predict you will find this is not the case. We don't use a leash when wake foiling and on a windy day it can be a royal pain in the ass to chase down a runaway foil board. When your board eventually catches a swell it will run way faster than you can swim. Best wishes
interesting that you can predict something that’s not true for every foiler everywhere. Considering how difficult it is to get a foil going how do you predict it would paddle and balance itself ? There should be thousands of ghost foils endlessly circling the globe by your prediction.

Aug 28, 2020
interesting that you can predict something that’s not true for every foiler everywhere. Considering how difficult it is to get a foil going how do you predict it would paddle and balance itself ? There should be thousands of ghost foils endlessly circling the globe by your prediction.
Keep at it and let us know how you make out.

Apr 4, 2020
So far still no tangles or issues with Dakine floating leash
I've tried the FCS Freedom leash and the Kaohi Double Coil Foil leash. With FCS, I got the occasional tangle around the rear wing. With the Kaohi leash, no tangles with the rear wing, but it got caught under my foot a lot more often than the FCS leash.

I have switched to the Dakine Floating leash. My favorite leash out of the group. No tangles with the rear wing, and the least likely to get caught under my foot. Thanks for the recommendation Surfdad!

The Dakine Floating leash doesn't show up on the Dakine website, but I was still able to find stock online. Hopefully, Dakine hasn't discontinued their floating leash.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I wing foil, not prone surf to foil, so take this with a grain of salt.

About a month ago I started using the Ion waist leash. This one: LINK HERE

I couldn't be happier with it. Doesn't get twisted on the mast or my feet or come up between my legs. Works great for me and stays out of the way. Velcro attachment is nice, too, as it doesn't have to be tight on your waist. Dig it. screen shot below.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 5.51.39 PM.png

Reactions: Hdip