Leash for foil

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I’ve been using a regular leash. A friend suggested a floating leash or a coiled leash. The coiled leash I tried I didn’t like as it kept getting tangled around my foot. Floating leash was better but not much difference from a regular leash. Also do you get a leash sane size as your board like I do for regular surfing or go longer or shorter? Thank

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I use an 8 foot straight leash, I want my foil as far away as possible when I eat it, it does wrap around the tail wing if I don’t pull it up when waiting for a wave but it’s the price I pay to know that when that leash is tight I’ll be alright.

Reactions: surfdad

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
When i was prone foiling alot I'd use a kids comp leash, as short as possible. The thinner leash wouldn't slap the water as hard when it was flapping behind you, the shorter ones had less drag. I also took the calf strap off of a longboard leash and put it on my foil leash. Helps from stepping on it when you get to your feet.

I now use a bodyboard coil leash for my SUP foil and Wingfoiling. Leash doesn't hit the water at all and I almost never step on it.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Standard leash. In fact I use one leash for all my boards from foil to 6’9” until it breaks then replace it with the spare one in my car. But I’m lazy and don’t see the point to foiling without a leash in any situation.

Reactions: surfdad and sozzle

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
hate leashes, in general. Started using my normal comp leash. stepped on it and hated it. trying a coiled leash now, but hate that too. trying the calf thing, but might be mistaken as a longboarder, so am averse to trying it. most people at san o don't use one, but I need one given the amount of falling I do. plus, I will want to use one around others and when it's bigger than knee high so I want to get used to it.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
SUP Foil: kite reel leash attached to a waist belt. Looks dorky as hell but super effective. No tangling, no drag, minimum snap back on bigger wave wipe outs. I originally used sup coil leash, but it quickly became half uncoiled from those bigger waves, and then it is a big tangled ball/anchor to drag around.

Surf foil: I haven't experimented with reel leash yet. I found a longboard leash tended to wrap around wings too much while waiting for waves. I am now using a thin 6' comp leash, seems much better.

Not using a leash seems pretty sketchy if there's anyone towards shore of you. A foiler maiming a civilian = BAN.

And a warning on wing foil: board leash is a MUST, from personal experience. A floaty sup with a foil will float away from you faster than you can swim, even in light wind. <ugh>

Reactions: sh3 and surfdad
Mar 20, 2019
Standard 6ft leash, cut a wine cork in half and tape it so the leash goes through it. Adds just enough float that it doesn't get stuck under foil. Sometimes I feel it bouncing around but it doesn't bother me.

Aug 30, 2004
Seignosse, France
A waist leash is definitively the answer, coiled for small waves or with a reel for bigger waves, because any leash attached to your leg will tangle into the foil due to your constant leg movements in the water.

Plus, getting in and out the water with a cumbersome foil gear (and I dont even speak of an additionnal paddle or wing) is so much easier when you dont have to worry that your leash will trip you up or get stuck somewhere.

If your coiled leash un-coils, it should remember its form with some minutes in boiling water.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm back to my 6' comp leash. I'm one of the only ones who wears one. I hardly ever see anyone else wearing one.

Hasn't been stuck on my foil yet but occasionally attacks my foot. I can live with that. I'm already too much of a kook to wear a waist or a calf leash.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I really don’t wear one for prone these days, but I’m out totally by myself 99% of the time.

When I do it’s a Balin bodyboard coil. It’s a good length and avoids getting hung up on the anvils in the reefs here....still end up standing on the bastard though.

Mates have been using regular leggier with EPS fishing floats taped halfway along them.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Can't remember which site, but saw a recent leash thread. Just finished making this:

Cut down a $13 amazon dog leash to 5'. Hacked the handle off. Spring will probably rust out, but if it works, I'll get my money out of it by that time. Will drill a hole and attach a leash tether to the housing and my board.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Can't remember which site, but saw a recent leash thread. Just finished making this:

Cut down a $13 amazon dog leash to 5'. Hacked the handle off. Spring will probably rust out, but if it works, I'll get my money out of it by that time. Will drill a hole and attach a leash tether to the housing and my board.
Nice...those usually have a trigger to hold or release the cord, did you remove that? I was thinking same thing about rust, doubt they are stainless in there, though maybe a higher end one could be, as they are intended for outdoor all-weather use. I'd be rinsing it with fresh water after sessions and spray some wd40 in there regularly, make it last a little longer. Or talk to any old-school kiter friends you may have, as many will have the oceanus reel leashes that were in fashion in mid to late 2000s, then became verboten.

Reactions: ghostshaper
Mar 22, 2020
I use a a kid comp surf leash 5', super thin, super light, compare to a longer/thicker leash it is way better for sure.
All those small details at the end make a big difference into your performance.

Apr 4, 2020
I use a a kid comp surf leash 5', super thin, super light, compare to a longer/thicker leash it is way better for sure.
All those small details at the end make a big difference into your performance.
I tried the 5' leash with my 4'4" foilboard and the leash was too short to spin the board around when I wanted to paddle it upside down with the foil facing forward.

I switched to a spare 6' leash and stuck a foam golf ball to the leash to make it float (BluePlanet tip). Similar to the cork setup in Post #9.

Apr 4, 2020
My old spare leash with the foam golf ball modification broke awhile back, so I got a FCS Freedom leash. The Freedom leash has a comfortable cuff, floats more than a standard leash but occasionally got caught on the rear wing.

So I decided to try out the Kaohi double coil foil leash (ankle version). The Kaohi leash never got caught on the rear wing, but after big wipeouts, it was likely to get tangled around the mast. The tangles were usually bad enough that I had to take the leash off to get it all untangled. With the FCS Freedom leash, it was usually pretty easy to untangle the leash if it got wrapped around the mast after a wipeout.

I was also more likely to step on the Kaohi leash until I switched the cuff from my ankle to my calf. I didn't care for the calf connection, so I'm benching the Kaohi leash and back on the FCS Freedom leash.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I recently went through a bunch. A coil leash I constantly stepped on. Super annoying.
I use waist reel leash for winging, but for surf I found it would sometimes get wrapped on front leg. The real deal killer though is the 10 foot+ stretch, if there is ever a close call with surfers, that may mean hitting someone...too risky.
I am back to my standard surf leash. It sometimes get caught on back wing if I am waiting long...but overall, seems to be best option.
That freedom leash looks good.